New Tyres

Dave_Bayern

Slipping at 3.5Krpm
Reaction score
Got some new tyres today, £65 for 4 as they are part worn.

Was a pretty good price and as long as its dry they'll get used pretty soon, probably at Donnington.

Screw your Toyo vs GSD3's vs Pirelli :)

slick.jpg

They look like a good set for track days. What size? Where from? I might invest in a set. I'd love to do Donnington. No doubt at some point over the next few months.

From eBay as it happens, S81 I think was his username.

They are 20/65 designed for 18" wheels, basically they will fit on my 18" alloys and I may have to wind up the coilovers a tad to stop rubbing at full lock but we'll see....

Nice. I have been thinking about buying a set of track tyres to for my standard 17"'s. At the moment i use part worn tyres but they don't seem to last to long, over heat and start melting!

Do you notice much difference with them? And how many track days do you reckon you will get out of them? Not really interested in going any faster as for me it more fun when sliding about would just like them to last longer so it will be cheaper.

Book onto anther track day at Knockhill tomorrow with SIDC.

The car will pull more g in the corners and the oil system may not be built for that level of g force.
oil pump will not pick up the oil as the oil is not in the bottom of the sump, but up the sides. Most race cars on slicks have at least a baffeled sump pan or dry sump system fitted.

I knew that, was just checking you did as the amount of nonsense I've heard bandied about slicks is immense.

However, the A3's and Mk4 Golfs have a pretty decent windage tray in there and no-one else I know of has had problems, however I will be sourcing an old sump and welding my own baffle system in there.

For now, I'll be making sure the oil is right up to the maximum mark which should minimise problems.