1.8TFSI 15Valve model!! - Found a rocker missing today

Wardie100

Reaction score
Hi All,

Wondering if anyone has seen this before...

went to reseal the cam cover today, as well as the sump in a bid to stop the oil leaks, and maybe, just maybe fix the rough idle (one thought is it was sucking air in from a bad seal)

And..

On opening to cam cover, i found one exhaust rocker was missing! - later found it in one of the wells between the cylinders..

I'm surprised the hydraulic follower hadn't mad a bid for freedom too and caused a loss of oil pressure in the top end.. guess i got lucky..

The cam has a tiny mark that I'm thinking to polish out, but the needle roller bearing is nowhere to be seen, not in the top, not in the sump...

so this quick Saturday job is turning into a bigger job now. so while she is off the road for a few days, im going to get the chain cover off too, and check that tensioner, and reseal the cam chain cover..

Upload 2019 9 28 19 56 11

Reactions: paddy
:wtf: Bearing may have fell down an oil gallery and wedged half way down to the sump.

Yikes, it looks like you're going to have to take the engine out, turn it upside down and hope it falls out.

Neodymium Magnet to poke down oil channels

Although a bore scope cheap camera first to look

Yeah i thought about both options, but to be honest, other than restricting a return channel a little, I'm not sure its going to do much damage in there, should end up in the sump at some point... as long as its not around the head I'm pretty happy, just weird to be honest!

Anyone know if its a peek caged bearing?