2.0 tfsi stage 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricky Burrows

Reaction score
So I've almost pulled the trigger on the bits required for stage 2 a couple times over last few days but before i actually do it i could do with some help from my fellow b7 peoples :)

@Just Rob. this is your fault by the way! you going stage 3 is making me want more from mine before i get left behind lol.

Anyway....so id like some advise on wheres cheapest to get what i need, on the list is airtec fmic, 034 motorsport cat, 3” downpipe with flexi (custom), custom cat back non res middlebox and 2 small backboxes all in 2.5” pipe? (let me know if anyone recommends bigger from the 3” downpipe) and finally an ecs induction kit, thats makes parts well over £2k is this the going rate for stage 2 or does anyone have a link to some secret place where these parts are cheaper than the usual places like awesomegti :).

As for mapping all that will be getting done at rtech as I'm fwd and they seem to be making a lot of stage 3 mk5 gti’s around 350hp that put the power down really well so they shouldn't struggle with a bigger a7 thats only stage 2 :) so its just parts i could do with finding cheaper to save my wallet from disintegrating.

Any help would be appreciated thanks a lot :)

Reactions: Alex banu and Bobbytea
Well you know the saying Ricky, you snooze you loose..lol
The problem you have , well its not a problem as such, is that the cost of parts is not going to be cheap these days.
034 hfc's are north of £400 now, airtech FMIC will be the same situation, downpipes are not such a problem.
The oem cat and down pipe are the biggest restriction from the turbo so by going to a HFC and larger bore down pipe that will make a noticible difference straight away, even without a map the improvement is very noticible.

I really wound'nt get to far into changing the rest of the exhaust system as it wont really free up a massive amount more, nor will the ecs inducution kit.
The oem induction setup does work very well , just gut the airbox and fit a high flow panel filter and a silicone intake pipe you'll be surprised how well it works.
The FMIC,HFC, larger bore downpipe and intake mods, add in a decent remap and use decent high octane fuel and you will be a very happy bunny Ricky.

I expect there will be others that say this is all tosh , what I say is come down I take my old bus out and see for yourself first hand and make a descision.

just my 5p's worth Ricky .

rob

Reactions: Ricky Burrows and Bobbytea
I’ll second Justrobs comment on the airbox, Get an ITG panel or similar and take all the baffles out of it, does a great job. The silicone turbo inlet hose is pricey nowadays too at over £90 but worth it in my book and an easy mod plus it gets rid of those horrible spring clamps and uses good quality jubilee clips instead.

I’ve had my eye on the rest of your shopping list for a little while too... I’d like to hit stage 2, but I use the wagon for work and I’m worried about the added strain wearing items a bit quicker and it going pop. Mines just clicked over 103k and I’m hoping to keep her a while yet. I’d like to hit 150k and at the current rate that’ll be another 3-4years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ricky Burrows and Charlie Farley
Its all down to striking that happy compromise of increased performance but still being a reliable car for everyday use and don't forgot with all that extra performance your fuel consumption will be noticibly higher.

But whatever works really for the individual.:icon thumright:

Reactions: Ricky Burrows and Charlie Farley
Thanks for the comments and feedback seems like thats the going rate for the parts and i guess ill just have to bite the bullet.

As for the exhaust i really want to get the most out of stage 2 as i dont plan on going higher may get hpfp down the line but as for now just want the most out of it and ive seen restrictive cat backs hold back power hence the reason for redoing it all, it might be worth me ringing rtech and see what they suggest?

Ive never had the airbox off so this mod may well be worth it then if you guys recommend it and potentially save me couple hundred pound :) i just really really like the look of the ecs open filter under the bonnet as im a childish n@bhead lol

I don't mind pushing this engine bobbytea as it had a full engine rebuild exactly 1 year ago so should br strong, only ever run on Tesco momentum so should be relatively clean base to start from, i don't think the extra hp is significantly going to effect reliability (fingers massively crossed here)

thanks for the link sidrick much appreciated.

Reactions: Charlie Farley and Bobbytea
May the boost be with you!

Reactions: Ricky Burrows
Thanks for the comments and feedback seems like thats the going rate for the parts and i guess ill just have to bite the bullet.

As for the exhaust i really want to get the most out of stage 2 as i dont plan on going higher may get hpfp down the line but as for now just want the most out of it and ive seen restrictive cat backs hold back power hence the reason for redoing it all, it might be worth me ringing rtech and see what they suggest?

Ive never had the airbox off so this mod may well be worth it then if you guys recommend it and potentially save me couple hundred pound :) i just really really like the look of the ecs open filter under the bonnet as im a childish n@bhead lol

I don't mind pushing this engine bobbytea as it had a full engine rebuild exactly 1 year ago so should br strong, only ever run on Tesco momentum so should be relatively clean base to start from, i don't think the extra hp is significantly going to effect reliability (fingers massively crossed here)

thanks for the link sidrick much appreciated.

You want as much of a free flowing exhaust as possible after the down pipe, well within the realms of being user friendly that is, but how much more one gains after fitting a larger down pipe and sports cat is unclear in a road car as noise levels etc are an important concideration.

Last edited:
You want as much of a free flowing exhaust as possible after the down pipe, well within the realms of being user friendly that is, but how much more one gains after fitting a larger down pipe and sports cat is unclear in a road car as noise levels etc are an important concideration.
Im not to bothered about the noise i think these engines are quiet tbh even with the back box delete if I'm cruising its completely silent, not that i want to go straight through exhaust mind! Lol ill ring up rtech tomorrow as they didn't get back to me today on what they recommend then ill contact longlife to book her in ill be going to longlife this month to have the mrs car done so ill get mine booked in just after that :)

Sorry for crashing into this post...
A chap at work has a Skoda VRS with the 2.0 tfsi and by his words it had a stage 1 tune. Anyway the head gasket failed, suspected cracked head. I thought these engines were pretty bomb proof.
What would his options be, would a second hand head be pheasable? Thanks Mark.

2.0tfsi engines come in various codes and are not all the same, there are a lot that are prone to issues and others that are not.

Quick update on this stage 2 build:

rtech have rang me back and after a chat and me explaining i want the most from stage 2 they have recommended a 3” all the way through pipe work for exhaust, induction kit, i mentioned gutting the airbox and fitting a panel filter he said no the induction kit is a must, and finally fmic isn't necessarily needed but if i want the most from it then also recommended.

He has to speak with another guy (Ben i think) and see if its possible to map my car as they have never went past stage 1 on a bul engine, not sure what the difference is tbh its still on the rollers getting mapped so surely they can do it but he has to check. (Having a feeling i need to speak to another person there tbh)

So now im holding fire on parts until i get a phone call back which should be some point today.

BUL is "special " as we know...:icon thumright:

still not convinced on the ecs intake really for stage 2 , when I had my bus mapped the guys said just not worth it, better to spend on a decent FMIC , but whatever goes with your tuner ricky.

BUL is "special " as we know...:icon thumright:

still not convinced on the ecs intake really for stage 2 , when I had my bus mapped the guys said just not worth it, better to spend on a decent FMIC , but whatever goes with your tuner ricky.
Yeah hopefully not to special Rob lol.

Yeah i hear you on the induction kit i didn’t think it would be that important looking at the oem it looks like a decent one to begin with hopefully i can talk to the guy that does the mapping and see what he says.

I think i'd need to see a comparison map between the two induction setups , if its only marginal improvement with the ecs then i'd pass on it, if it was a noticible diference , more than a couple of ponies sort of 5bhp upwards then i'd opt for one.

I think i'd need to see a comparison map between the two induction setups , if its only marginal improvement with the ecs then i'd pass on it, if it was a noticible diference , more than a couple of ponies sort of 5bhp upwards then i'd opt for one.
I just rang a local company to me with a good reputation for custom maps and he also said I need an induction kit the stock airbox is no good so looks like ill he buying a flipping £311 induction kit tonight!

To be honest he was so much better to deal with than rtech yeah the map might not be as good overall given rtechs dedicated experience to the 2.0 tfsi but i need a good tuner i can rely on and actually make me feel like I want to take my pride and joy there so i think performance remap is the place it will get mapped :)

Reactions: Charlie Farley
Go for it Ricky , I would like to see a comparison all the same as I am just plain difficult...lol

Go for it Ricky , I would like to see a comparison all the same as I am just plain difficult...lol
Lol when she’s completed ill upload the graph, ill sit down later tonight with a cup of tea and order the bits :) think the most difficult part of all this is deciding on what colour combination to go with on the airtec intercooler lol

I was just waiting to see what you thought of that ..lol , in all honesty i'd just go stealthy with no logo and black everything.

Black on black, on black with black everything else, the least chavtastic option possible.

Just seems a lot of money to hide it away lol, thinking possibly silver intercooler with black piping and the black airtec logo, maybe google will give me some inspiration, I've just ordered the 034 high flow cat and ecs tuning induction kit so thats two things off the list.

And your wallet is almost £700 lighter now I expect..

And your wallet is almost £700 lighter now I expect..
£759.58 to be exact lol and another £568 has disappeared now I've ordered the airtec.

Thats cheap though compared to the £1200-1600 i got quoted for the exhaust earlier today!! Safe to say i wont be taking it to profusion customs think ill stick with longlife and there £799 quote lol.

Oh its adding up very fast.....this better be worth it, all this because i washed it! Damn red cars they get me everytime.

You'll been fine Ricky. I had a Guards Red 964 C4 that was just awesome and spent way too much on it, but then red cars do have that effect.

You'll been fine Ricky. I had a Guards Red 964 C4 that was just awesome and spent way too much on it, but then red cars do have that effect.
Ooo i love the c4 shape! My dream car when i was a boy and still to this day in a lot of ways is the black turbo from the film bad boys, think it was a 1989 model (could be wrong)...sure there fetching well into 6 digits now so a little out of my price range.

Reactions: Charlie Farley
The 964 C4 appeared in 1989 , mine was a late 89 model , the raise and retract spoiler was brill .
Only major down side were the cylinder heads , they tended to warp and you'd get oil drips onto the exhaust manifolds and end up with blue smoke coming out the back ....apart from that brilliant

good ones go for over £40k now, darn I should have kept it.

Pr1

The 964 C4 appeared in 1989 , mine was a late 89 model , the raise and retract spoiler was brill .
Only major down side were the cylinder heads , they tended to warp and you'd get oil drips onto the exhaust manifolds and end up with blue smoke coming out the back ....apart from that brilliant

good ones go for over £40k now, darn I should have kept it.

View attachment 196045
Damn good looking car :icon thumright:

Think ill leave this thread at this now and ill put the details on my project thread and keep people updated on going stage 2 on there.

Thanks for the comments and thoughts its much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.