Stage 2 upgrades

eel

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have read previous posts on this matter but just wanted to check with everyone here.

I'm looking to upgrade my car to a stage 2 tune over the next few months. At the moment the car has just had a service, new clutch , new cam follower and I'm about to fit new Koni shocks and H&R springs.

Things I'm looking to do for the stage 2 if people are in agreement.

-New coilpack and injectors
- Silicone turbo hose
- Upgraded exhaust system (I haven't found a clear answer on what's best for this)
- New PCV breather valve
- Carbon clean

The engine is a 2.0l BUL code at 217bhp stock with 80k miles.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: tr7 and Charlie Farley
Hi all,

I have read previous posts on this matter but just wanted to check with everyone here.

I'm looking to upgrade my car to a stage 2 tune over the next few months. At the moment the car has just had a service, new clutch , new cam follower and I'm about to fit new Koni shocks and H&R springs.

Things I'm looking to do for the stage 2 if people are in agreement.

-New coilpack and injectors
- Silicone turbo hose
- Upgraded exhaust system (I haven't found a clear answer on what's best for this)
- New PCV breather valve
- Carbon clean

The engine is a 2.0l BUL code at 217bhp stock with 80k miles.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.
have a look at induction as well

Oh okay, I thought the intake didn't make much of a change.
two different train of thoughts here . I have always been taught that to gain the best upgrade in BHP you need to do a few things. Increase the air coming in ( uprated induction, cold air feed etc) , improve the fueling if going for bigger figures which you have mentioned already and then improve the exhaust flow out or get them out the engine faster :) Then when it is time to tune the ECU your path is setup for success.
The other train of thought is I guess , intake on these engines is not as important

Reactions: Charlie Farley
What's your reasoning behind the new injectors mate? Upgrade or maintenance? There's no need to upgrade injectors until you're going stage 3 and above, if you're having a carbon clean done, it would be more cost effective to have your current injectors serviced, cleaned, new baskets ect rather than buy a new set.

Exhaust wise, the most restrictive part is the cat. The 3" decat from ATP would do a good job and it comes with a flange that can fit k03 and k04 turbos should you decide to upgrade in the future. After that you've got the downpipe which there isn't many offerings for, the only one I can really find is the miltek "large bore" which isn't really that large, 2.3" I believe.

If you can push your budget, maybe wait for the black friday sales, you'd be best off getting uprated high pressure fuel pump internals and an rs4 fuel pressure relief valve and going stage 2+. It doesn't really up the peak numbers much but adds more power through out the rev range.

Also on the maintenance side, it's always worth replacing your oil pick up with the latest revision and doing a balance shaft delete as preventative maint. These can and do cause alot of problems on the 2.0 tfsi.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

On the scale of things you can get modest gains without spending buckets of cash if you are only going to stage 2,
Forget updated injectors , Intake setup etc.
Just sort out a decent HFC , silicone Intake tube, free flowing air filter and gut the air box.
Get a sensible remap .
You’ll get a good gain without making too much of a dent in the wallet.
Over stage 2 and you’ll need to start changing more parts.
More importantly before you go any engine power mods is to ensure the clutch is 200% good, start with the core parts and go from there.
You are wasting money if you clutch is worn out.

I’m currently awaiting a turbo upgrade kit that will return good improvements without getting into the realms of swapping out shed loads of kit
I think it’s about 350bhp .

Reactions: swisstony
A good remap will make all the difference, not a generic BUL code plug in chip box.

What's your reasoning behind the new injectors mate? Upgrade or maintenance? There's no need to upgrade injectors until you're going stage 3 and above, if you're having a carbon clean done, it would be more cost effective to have your current injectors serviced, cleaned, new baskets ect rather than buy a new set.

Exhaust wise, the most restrictive part is the cat. The 3" decat from ATP would do a good job and it comes with a flange that can fit k03 and k04 turbos should you decide to upgrade in the future. After that you've got the downpipe which there isn't many offerings for, the only one I can really find is the miltek "large bore" which isn't really that large, 2.3" I believe.

If you can push your budget, maybe wait for the black friday sales, you'd be best off getting uprated high pressure fuel pump internals and an rs4 fuel pressure relief valve and going stage 2+. It doesn't really up the peak numbers much but adds more power through out the rev range.

Also on the maintenance side, it's always worth replacing your oil pick up with the latest revision and doing a balance shaft delete as preventative maint. These can and do cause alot of problems on the 2.0 tfsi.

Ah okay I will leave the injectors then, I might have got mixed up with a stage 3 tune.

I will look into getting that decat then and a custom downpipe down to fit it. I did look at high pressure fuel pumps but I wasn't sure if that was a stage 3 tune.

On the scale of things you can get modest gains without spending buckets of cash if you are only going to stage 2,
Forget updated injectors , Intake setup etc.
Just sort out a decent HFC , silicone Intake tube, free flowing air filter and gut the air box.
Get a sensible remap .
You’ll get a good gain without making too much of a dent in the wallet.
Over stage 2 and you’ll need to start changing more parts.
More importantly before you go any engine power mods is to ensure the clutch is 200% good, start with the core parts and go from there.
You are wasting money if you clutch is worn out.
Yeah I got a brand new clutch on the recent service in preperation for the future tune.

The HFC I have found is this if suitable? I will look to get a custom downpipe as well for it.

Do you have an example of the free flowing air filter and gutting the air box?

Remap wise I was going to go to my local tuner and go from there rather than a plug in coded one.

034 hfc is good to start with but degrades very quickly and mot emission’s are an issue, many others will confirm this , Also way over priced for what it is.
There are a few alternatives though.

Air box does work very well , but rip out the foam sound deadening and frame so you have a clean and obstruction free internal.

034 hfc is good to start with but degrades very quickly and mot emission’s are an issue, many others will confirm this , Also way over priced for what it is.
There are a few alternatives though.
Okay, I'll have a look to try and find an alternative HFC. Any recommendations?

External is the same. Internally the same just without the nasty foam stuck to the inside and the plastic mesh , you just end up with an empty box basically.

Reactions: eel
Okay that sounds easy enough brilliant. I'll do that fist.

How about this for the cat?

Struggling to find any high flow cat other than a miltek one and the 034

That's the ATP one I was talking about buddy, works really well. Obviously it will need changing for mot or you'll have to find a friendly tester.

As has been said already, intakes will cost you loads with not alot of gains. Best bang for your buck is a decent panel filter like K&N ect. Having said that there's some really nice intakes out there like the carbonio by APR and the ECS carbon fibre intake. I had a carbonio on my old b7 and I'm debating getting one for my DTM just for how nice it looked.

5e29209ea4227227c225273007e9571c.jpg

That's the ATP one I was talking about buddy, works really well. Obviously it will need changing for mot or you'll have to find a friendly tester.

As has been said already, intakes will cost you loads with not alot of gains. Best bang for your buck is a decent panel filter like K&N ect. Having said that there's some really nice intakes out there like the carbonio by APR and the ECS carbon fibre intake. I had a carbonio on my old b7 and I'm debating getting one for my DTM just for how nice it looked.

That intake does look really well! I well have a look into it.

Ah I don't think I want to deal with the hassle of changing it each year for the MOT. I guess I'll leave the HFC and just look at the downpipe then?

That intake does look really well! I well have a look into it.

Ah I don't think I want to deal with the hassle of changing it each year for the MOT. I guess I'll leave the HFC and just look at the downpipe then?
It all depends on what you're after really mate, they do look good. Not sure if they still sell them brand new anymore, they are on the APR website though.

The best advice I could probably give is don't just jump in and buy things. Do some research through Google and the forums, find out all your options and work out whats best for you. The worse thing you can do is buy something then have to replace it again later down the line.

There's always the option to go custom with a high flow cat. A decent exhaust company will be able to make you up a HFC and downpipe that will pass mot if you explain your needs.

Reactions: Charlie Farley and eel
Fantastic thanks for all the information!

Exhaust wise I'll look to go the custom route I think as well.

This has all been really helpful for me.

mmmm nice intake mate :)

Reactions: eel
mmmm nice intake mate :)
This was my old b7 buddy, I sold it a while back. Looking to do something similar with the DTM I have now but it all depends on what turbo I go for. Can't decide on if I want a hybrid in the stock location or a big turbo set up.

This was my old b7 buddy, I sold it a while back. Looking to do something similar with the DTM I have now but it all depends on what turbo I go for. Can't decide on if I want a hybrid in the stock location or a big turbo set up.

What are you leaning more towards between the two turbos

I envy you not only with a DTM but with talk of a big turbo upgrade....mine has an ECS intake which I love. Dont like taking the cover off and on, thats a PITA but apart from that all good :)

I envy you not only with a DTM but with talk of a big turbo upgrade....mine has an ECS intake which I love. Dont like taking the cover off and on, thats a PITA but apart from that all good :)
Do you have the carbon ecs intake? I've been looking at them for a while, I like how the lid comes all the way down to the air intake scoop on the grill.

I went with this one in the end, its on order now.

good reviews too .

What are you leaning more towards between the two turbos
I keep switching between the 2 if I'm honest mate. In the end I think I'll end up with a hybrid of some sort as big turbo set ups tend to spiral out of control money wise and will require alot of custom fabrication which I can't do myself.

I do have a spare k03 in the shed which I was going to send off to turbo dynamics or venom turbos but I'm now thinking if I do go hybrid I'll go for a IHI based turbo like the TTE450L.

I have been on this turbo project forever to be honest, looked at all the options, pros and cons and in the end this was the best route.
Ease of installation, tried and tested kit and no requirement to buy shed loads of other bits to have a good setup .
Not the cheapest route but then cheap setups can go pear shaped very quickly.

I have been on this turbo project forever to be honest, looked at all the options, pros and cons and in the end this was the best route.
Ease of installation, tried and tested kit and no requirement to buy shed loads of other bits to have a good setup .
Not the cheapest route but then cheap setups can go pear shaped very quickly.
I know the feeling mate, seems to be a never ending circle doesn't it.

Just had a proper read through the ad for it and it's actually good value for money when you look at what you get isn't it. Genuine Borg Warner turbo, downpipe and decat, turbo fitting kit and sparkplugs?

Are you planning on changing your injectors too?

I know the feeling mate, seems to be a never ending circle doesn't it.

Just had a proper read through the ad for it and it's actually good value for money when you look at what you get isn't it. Genuine Borg Warner turbo, downpipe and decat, turbo fitting kit and sparkplugs?

Are you planning on changing your injectors too?

Not at the moment, I can't see the point.
I'll see how it works out and runs then make a decision on that side of things.

I want to get it mapped properly to get the most out of the hardware without making the car unreliable and a pig to drive.

I'll need to find someone close to me that can do Quattro's on their dyno as most cant.

Not at the moment, I can't see the point.
I'll see how it works out and runs then make a decision on that side of things.
Would definitely give more headroom on the fuelling side of things, would of thought the stock injectors will be maxed out at 330bhp.

The problem with these test pipes or decats is that most are not MOT friendly, and when 034 HFC degrade neither are they so you stand a good chance of issues at mot time with either flavor, well you will def not get through an MOT with a decat test pipe and they can be a bit loud .

Would definitely give more headroom on the fuelling side of things, would of thought the stock injectors will be maxed out at 330bhp.

possibly but 330 is a lot more than 220 even without changing injectors.

I did have a set of injectors but sold them on, god knows why..

I want to get it mapped properly to get the most out of the hardware without making the car unreliable and a pig to drive.

I'll need to find someone close to me that can do Quattro's on their dyno as most cant.
Where abouts are you based buddy? I was thinking of going to unicorn motorsports as they're not a million miles from me (I'm in Leeds).