SAT NAV

S3 SAF

Reaction score
hey people ive got a 6 cd symphony head unit in my car but its messed up! the cds dont load no more and its comming up as cd 1 error 3.
my local audi dealers say the whole unit needs replacing and want £400 for a new one.
but i rather get the sat nav does any one have any links or ideas on were i can get one?
:icon_thumright:

Navigation plus would be an easy OEM fit but are rare & expensive. RNS-E needs more work but is better just make sure you get an A4 one. E-bay is the obvious choice.

sorry bit confused wat do you mean by needs more work? and does an a4 sat nav fit the s3.

i had the same problem its prob the boot loader as its common on audi's,and as above sat navs ebay all the way my friend

A3 unit is a different shape to the A4 unit so it won't fit, and you need some automotive wiring experience and access to VAG-COM. IMO replace the symphony and get a tomtom, much cheaper and you can put speed cameras on the tomtom.

Symphonys go on ebay for about 100 quid.

A4 RNS-E will need to be trimmed sounds scary but not too bad. Yes you need VAG-com to make it work properly. You will need a wiring adaptor and make a couple of changes.

Or as mentioned above the easiest way would be get a symphony and a Tomtom. Just remove the mount and wipe away the suction marks when you park up or you may find that someone else takes a fancy to it. A must admit the speed camera data was useful when I had a Tomtom.

i aint got a boot loader its built in 6 cd loader.
its just that ive seen many s3's with the sat nav and think they look really nice and just as useful. just was thhinking it would be much easier to get one.:sorry:

t when I looked into the cost, I decided that a tomtom was the best option, as you would need to buy the RNS-E unit and a changer, then loose half your glovebox, not worth it IMO

You could always convert your cd's to mp3, chuck them on a SD card and use the two readers built into the RNS-E.

The SD cards are very cheap now and you will get a lot more than 6 cd's using one card never mind two

Simon

I retro fitted the RNS-D (CD based) on my 8L S3, was fairly easy and put a CD changer in the boot.

These can be picked up fairly cheap now from e-bay as a alternative the the newer RNS-E (DVD based) on the new models (which I also retro fitted on my new S3).

The RNS-D was the one fitted to the 8L S3 so going for this would make it look OEM and no grief from the dealer!

i would rather have the RNS-E because it also plays dvd's who can i get the job done from properly without geting bumped.:think:

Craig is certainly your man. Dont forget he also gives 12 months warranty in with his price.

The RNS-e WILL NOT play dvds, unless you have a multmedia adaptor and an external dvd player.

Still a cracking bit of kit though

Simon