What You All Wanna See S3 PPL

From what I can see the guy in the S3 gated far quicker (Better Reaction time) than the M3 so I dont think it was a true representation of car against car.

But to be honest, even though I love the S3 I would still have an M3 Coupe any day,

Wow the S3 is amazing off the line! Looks pretty smart in White too :icon_thumright:

Bet you can't wait till you get it. These next two weeks will probably feel like two years!!

You are very brave for choosing Orange, i want to get White myself but am still not sure......

I agree he had a quicker reaction but I would gestimate that if they left at the exact same time they're be parrallel. Maybe S3 an inch ahead due to 4wd.

Looks lovely in white :hubbahubba:

Edit: Glad to see you're getting orange, I want it too but am worried about resale. Seems to be the in colour this year with the new 350Z looking great in orange too.

Surprised to see how close they are to be honest, thought the M3 would of wiped the floor with the S3, except in the wet.

Orange hey, nice. Brave man though, enjoy when it arrives.

Mark

Thought you would all enjoy that video somehow.

Ye Have been waiting along time for the S3 On order. Just waiting for PDI, Tracker, tinted windows, The paint protection thingy as a freeby.

The orange is stunning in the S3, yes some may go yuck. But it actually suits the car very well. Everyone seems to be picking blue, black silver which are all very nice. I just wanted to be different.

I've become a bit of an adict to the S3 though, getting sad now hehehehehe.
Girlfriend is sick of hearing about it.

Not on M3 vs S3, it does well considering its supposed to be a second of the mark.

Gotta say, having owned an E46 M3 (with SMG II) for 2 years and now a new S3, M3 is def quicker, and it did sound fantastic! Although, M3 did have considerably more miles than my S3, so maybe it will improve as the miles increase...

Can you set alarm beeps like the one above in the video...

M3 is in a different league than the S3... Chassis is better, engine is better and more powerfull... Only S3 advantage would be the pseudo AWD system in slippery surfaces...

As someone said... an M3 anyday of the week, performance wise.

This is a happy S3 owner though.

Pedro

The S3 less than a second behind the M3 in Evo's circuit tests though, so performance wise pretty good for a lot, lot less money...

emzino said:
How much is an S3 compared to an M3...?

S3 £27k = 0-62 in 5.7 seconds

M3 320i (cheapest) £28k = 0-62 in 8.1 seconds

M3 335i (Fastest) £35,700 = 0-62 in 5.5 seconds

IMO the S3 is the best value for money but as much as I love the S3 I would still prefer the M3 as its not just about speed. But then again if I was in a position to choose between the two I'm sure there'd be another contender coming in the ranks.

davidmann said:
.The orange is stunning in the S3, yes some may go yuck. But it actually suits the car very well. Everyone seems to be picking blue, black silver which are all very nice. I just wanted to be different.

It's not that I don't like the colour, i agree it does look good. It's the resale value when it's out of fashion that would worry me.

Mark

True, but Im willing to take the risk....

Can you set alarm beeps like in that video with VAG commands

davidmann said:
Can you set alarm beeps like the one above in the video...

It can be done, but I was under the impression it's the horn that makes the beep. I suppose the S3 in the video might have an aftermarket alarm fitted.

Taken from - http://en.openobd.org/audi/a3_8p.htm#46

Select 46 (Comfort System)
Long Coding -> Function 07

Byte 06 Bit 2 Unlocking Confirmation (Blink) via Remote Control
Byte 06 Bit 3 Unlocking Confirmation (Horn) via Remote Control
Byte 07 Bit 2 Locking Confirmation (Blink) via Remote Control
Byte 07 Bit 3 Locking Confirmation (Horn) via Remote Control
Byte 08 Bit 6 Activation Blink Signal (Anti-Theft-Warning System)
Byte 08 Bit 7 Activation Horn Signal (Anti-Theft-Warning System)

I've never tried it, But might have a go next time I have the VAGCOM plugged in.

Regards, John.

Von Maximo said:
S3 £27k = 0-62 in 5.7 seconds

M3 320i (cheapest) £28k = 0-62 in 8.1 seconds

M3 335i (Fastest) £35,700 = 0-62 in 5.5 seconds

IMO the S3 is the best value for money but as much as I love the S3 I would still prefer the M3 as its not just about speed. But then again if I was in a position to choose between the two I'm sure there'd be another contender coming in the ranks.

Neither of the above models are the M3 (and the 0-60 is about the only place the 335 is quicker, as it is slower in test, 0-100, standing 1/4, in gear acceleration at most speeds).

The M3 (outgoing model) costs a little over £40k in it's basic guise. There is no doubt that if money weren't too important, that I would have waited for the new M3 over the S3, as although only very slightly quicker, it is clearly a beautiful car...but then I would probably have looked at a used RS4

normski said:
Neither of the above models are the M3 (and the 0-60 is about the only place the 335 is quicker, as it is slower in test, 0-100, standing 1/4, in gear acceleration at most speeds).

The M3 (outgoing model) costs a little over £40k in it's basic guise. There is no doubt that if money weren't too important, that I would have waited for the new M3 over the S3, as although only very slightly quicker, it is clearly a beautiful car...but then I would probably have looked at a used RS4

Guess I need to research my beemers a bit more! Thought the M model range was an M3, But obviously not!

I take back what I said about having one. Thats a lot of dough for what is srtictly a 3 series beemer.

JohnS3, Please can you try that soon. I may be able to get audi to do it before delivery if thats the case.

If its the horn I won't bother, but if its the bleep like the sound of the alarm going off ( high Pitched ) then I will have it done.

Would be much appreciated if you could have a go...

Von Maximo said:
Thats a lot of dough for what is srtictly a 3 series beemer.

£28k is a lot of money for what is strictly a 3-door A3.
It's all relative.

how do you really know if either of those cars are standard tho? - S3 could be chipped!

davidmann said:
JohnS3, Please can you try that soon. I may be able to get audi to do it before delivery if thats the case.

If its the horn I won't bother, but if its the bleep like the sound of the alarm going off ( high Pitched ) then I will have it done.

I'll give it a bash at the weekend, if it isn't raining by then......:cold:

Make sure you dnt change the boost when your doing it. God knows how fast your S3 will be then... :)

Von Maximo said:
Thats a lot of dough for what is srtictly a 3 series beemer.

The M3 is a bit more than just a 3 series beemer mate. Thats like saying an RS 4 is just another A4

Inspite of all this, the S3 is really in competition with the 1 Series isn't it as the M3 has to compete with the S/RS4 so for the S3 to come out with those type of figures is quite impressive!

Something to be proud of I'd say :)

markwiggy said:
It's not that I don't like the colour, i agree it does look good. It's the resale value when it's out of fashion that would worry me.

Mark

There's a load of lads at my place with Focus STs (they're only £13500 tax free) in orange and they're all losing money on them cos the uk dealers can't sell them!

But dnt you think the S3 is a different thing than an ST.
Its like the lambos and their green. It just looks right on some cars and brands and not on others.

I see where you come from though. However there aren't that many orange s3's on the road. So if they are limited won't that help the values.

I think the ST and S3 are a little similar up front and both look great in orange. Plus the ford orange is pearlescent and looks even better. Noone wants them though. Like on here most like it but wouldn't have one.

fair comment, but hey I may aswell be`different.

Had Black, Misano Red now orange

silver75 said:
The M3 is a bit more than just a 3 series beemer mate. Thats like saying an RS 4 is just another A4

An M3 might be a bit more than your standard 3 series but its still part of the 3 series range, Just like the RS 4 is part of the A4 range. And thats why i believe it's a lot of money for what it is a three series car. It all depends what you want to be? A big fish in a little pond or . . . .
Work it out It aint rocket science mate:nyah:

davidmann said:

Hi David,

I had the vagcom out this weekend as I was trying some dyno runs. I'll post those results later on.

I tested the alarm beeps and it indeed the high pitched tone as the car in the youtube video. I set the following bits to enable it.

Select 46 (Comfort System)
Long Coding -> Function 07
Byte 06 Bit 3 Unlocking Confirmation (Horn) via Remote Control
Byte 07 Bit 3 Locking Confirmation (Horn) via Remote Control

Regards, John.

Ye I got it set too.

Quite a nice feature. Got mine to only beep once when it locks. So I know if im pressing right button when in Sleep mode.