HAS MY Audi A3 Got a Turbo

Dannyjp97

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

This might sound Stupid but I just wanna know. I brought a 2 litre Audi A3 FSI S LINE 2006 on Saturday, But I’m getting Confused about the difference between Tfsi and fsi So the question is does my car have a turbo or not cheers.

FSI = Fuel Stratified Injection (Petrol)
TFSI = Turbo Fuel Stratified Injection (Petrol)
TSI = Turbocharged Stratified Injection (Petrol)
TDI = Turbo Direct Injection (Diesel)

Then you also have the "V" and "vT" engines
V = Valves (Petrol / Diesel)
vT = Valve Turbocharged (Petrol / Diesel)

Models: 12V, 16V, 20vT, 24V, 30V, 32V, 40V, 48V, 64v4T (Bugatti only).

Then you also have the cilinder count:
R5, VR6/V6, V8, V10, V12 (Lamborghini)

So... no, you don't have a turbo :).
You have an atmospheric engine.

Last edited:
Reactions: D.rc, aqibi2000 and Daveyonthemove
Should have a label in the boot under the carpet or stuck in the first page of your service book, with all the info, vin, option codes, engine size, power in kilowatts.
Take a photo of it and post it up.

Reactions: Daveyonthemove
In the Netherlands we can just fill in the numberplate on the website of the organisation that organises MOT and such.. It will bring up MOT History, Engine details and owner details etc.

Don't you guys have something in England? Otherwise fill in the VIN number on a website and it will show you the detials.

Reactions: Daveyonthemove
In the Netherlands we can just fill in the numberplate on the website of the organisation that organises MOT and such.. It will bring up MOT History, Engine details and owner details etc.

Don't you guys have something in England? Otherwise fill in the VIN number on a website and it will show you the detials.
Yes we do, which is why I asked for his registration.

Reactions: henkkeumus
When are they releasing a TCVDI engines? Turbo Crankshaft Valve Diesel Injection

It does say FSI on the engine but underneath it says 2 litre turbo? So I’m pretty sure it’s turbo

You can hear and feel if there is a turbo. The turbo kicks in somewhere around 3k revs.
The previouse owner could just put a FSI motorplate on it, the only way to make sure is by entering your VIN somewhere online and see vehicle details.

Post a pic of the engine bay.
This is not my photo but this is what exactly my engine looks like I’m pretty sure it’s tfsi

Attachments

• E596D07F-E96E-4ECA-B4EE-9D7A990D7297.jpeg
    E596D07F-E96E-4ECA-B4EE-9D7A990D7297.jpeg
    237.5 KB · Views: 290
Can you explain why it’s a horrible engine..?

Well, Audi TFSI engines have a bad reputation.
The 1.8 TFSI and 2.0 TFSI will fail 80% of the time, the pistonrings on these are really bad. Pistonrings manage the oil level/consumption in the cilinder, every piston has a set of rings and the bottom one's job is to scrap the oil back into the engine when the piston made it's rotation in the cilinder.

The thing with 1.8 and 2.0 TFSI engines is that the bottom ring fails to scrape all oil back in the engine, this results in the engine consuming oil. The result of the engine consuming oil is alot of grime on the cilinderwalls and exhaust. This will clog the engine and in the worst case destroy it to the point you need another engine in.

Audi USA acknowledged the design failure and has offered leniency to customers with this problem. Audi Europe never acknowledged this problem and so terrible and horrible horror stories go around. Just do a quick Google search yourself "oil problem tfsi engines VAG". There will be a lot of information about this issue.

Not only the 1.8 and 2.0 experience these issues, also the 1.2 and 1.4 TFSI have them but a lot less though. There are some companies I know of in Holland that can fix the problem by replacing the pistons and rings by other models but this costs around €3000,- (basicly a revision of the engine). This is why I keep far far faaaaaaar away from 1.8 and 2.0 TFSI engines from MJ '06 till ~'12.

Not trying to scare you but it's basicly what it's about with those engines, when you have some just check your oil level regulary. They just have a horrible reputation, maybe you are lucky and have a engine that doesn't fail but the chance of that is really small though. Most need revision around 150.xxx/200.xxx KM's. And this is also the reason you don't see much 1.8 and 2.0 TFSI Audi's around (at least, not in Holland anymore :D ).

IMHO the FSI are the best and strongest engines Audi has. I've drove a 1.6 FSI and that thing went through everything. Drove a good 250.xxxKM with that thing without any major issues.

http://casestudies.atlanticmotorcar.com/audi-engine-oil-consumption-correction/
https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=24&t=1723239
https://www.google.com/search?q=tfs...rome..69i57.2264j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Can you explain why it’s a horrible engine..?

I wouldn’t worry too much about the post above, the oil consumption problem affects just a few engine codes of certain years.
Have you found the build sticker yet?

Don’t worry at all - there is thousands on these on the road and they are running fine. The 1.8 was the worse of the two, again don’t panic - you have Cronovirus to worry about!

Reactions: paddy
I wouldn’t worry too much about the post above, the oil consumption problem affects just a few engine codes of certain years.

Is there a list of codes and years? Ive just bought a 56 plate S3 and am suddenly getting worried.

They all consume oil, one more than the other..
The worst engines have these codes; CAEB, CDNC and CNDC

Indeed, don't panic since there are alot on the road but it's something to consider when buying a new or secondhand car.. Most engines get small or big issues around the 200.xxxKM mark..

It is not without reason that Audi America has admitted this production error and handed out leniency to the people who are afftected by it..

Is there a list of codes and years? Ive just bought a 56 plate S3 and am suddenly getting worried.
Mine is a 2006 S3 with BHZ engine, 135,000 miles on the clock.
I check the oil regularly and top up if required. I use approx 500-700 ml of oil between services (10k mile intervals) which isn't bad in my opinion.

The only time mine had an oil consumption issue was due to a split plastic pipe from the PCV, which let oil mist out under pressure. I've also seen a seal perish on my Cam position sensor, letting oil mist out under pressure. Oil consumption was minimal, and the repairs were a cheap DIY fix with OEM parts.

If you do low mileage journeys and the engine doesn't get up to full temp you will see a small amount of mayo collect on the underside of the oil cap. As long as there is no oil in the header tank, you don't have an issue, it's just condensation build up.

If you look after these engines, they will keep going with minimal fuss or expense.

casually reading through this and now im stressing my 1.4T is gonna go :crying:

casually reading through this and now im stressing my 1.4T is gonna go :crying:

I've got a 1.4TFSI too, just regulary (+/- every 500KM) watch the oil levels on it mate :).
The moment the light is going to shine on your dash is already too late imho.

1.2 and 1.4 are much less the "victim" of this problem haha, 1.8 and 2.0 are worse.