Facelift Audi A3 8v 2.0 63 plate Tdi - chirping/squealing sound ?

amara3

Reaction score
Hi all,

We've had car for a few weeks, it's a 63 Facelift 2.0tdi.

Its has started doing this sound from engine left side...only happens from 1st start in morning and even if idle or moving, lasts 5 mins then ok for rest of day...

Looks like belt or pulley ?

Car is in today with Audi for cambelt and waterpump...was booked for peace of mind as no history of being done...its on 105k, car drives well, air con power steering all good.

Could the noise by from something else, is the visible belt the auxiliary/drive/serpentine belt ?

Asked Audi to take a look whilst they in that area...

Last edited:
I think i have heard this issue before i think its a noise from the charcoal filter. Thats just a guess / going from something i have read previously in the back of my head

Reactions: amara3
Why on earth would you ask Audi to fit a cambelt and pump, its not under warranty?
I got mine done for £350.00 all in.
Audi wanted £700.00 for both to be fitted... Thanks but no thanks, any good mechanic can fit it.

My car came with 114,000 on the clock and I did all the brakes, tyres and major service and belts done as there was no history as it was a ex company lease.

For a full major service inc every fluid done, gearbox, brake, oil, filters, all new blueprint brakes discs and pads and cam belt and pump done at 700.00 which was the same price as Audi wanted just for the belt.

Were Audi not doing cambelt and pump for £500 with a warranty and MOT’s for life i’m sure

Were Audi not doing cambelt and pump for £500 with a warranty and MOT’s for life i’m sure

Yeah I seen that a couple weeks after I called a local Audi in Bridgend SW.
I have a family friend who does it for 35ph Labour, but the best price I got was £425.00 at a Audi approved garage in bridgend.

I think that free MOT for life is a bit of a rip off as they are probably making lots of money with people either selling their cars or cars being written off.
35.00 for a MOT per year, its great if you keep your car for years and years.

Yeah I seen that a couple weeks after I called a local Audi in Bridgend SW.
I have a family friend who does it for 35ph Labour, but the best price I got was £425.00 at a Audi approved garage in bridgend.

I think that free MOT for life is a bit of a rip off as they are probably making lots of money with people either selling their cars or cars being written off.
35.00 for a MOT per year, its great if you keep your car for years and years.
My pal has a mk1 audi TT he keeps in the garage his plan is to get the cambelt and then he has MOT’s for life. The car will never be sold so will get his money back over 15 years or so in MOT’s they will probs make up a load of advisories and try claim it back that way

My pal has a mk1 audi TT he keeps in the garage his plan is to get the cambelt and then he has MOT’s for life. The car will never be sold so will get his money back over 15 years or so in MOT’s they will probs make up a load of advisories and try claim it back that way

I have heard of horror stories of Kwik Fit and dealerships saying you need bushings or need this or that and half to walk away with hundreds of costs if repair bills.

If you have a good relationship with a Audi gge and know the people then I would be happy to use them, but if they really wanted to keep customers and make a lot more money, they need to be competitive with local garages.

Your right in that case, if someone wants to keep a car for a weekender and hope it rises in value then I guess it would be a good deal, but then again, like you said they would probably make up some minor stuff that you have no way of proving and spend a lot more for a free MOT.

Everything in life is a double edge sword.

Wish I'd known about a £500 offer...

I only seen £745..

I actually had to work hard to get it price matched at £600.

Anyway my noise has gone...

However a totally new issue that they mentioned on Audi Cam health check...

They said my fuel tank lift pump made a loud whining noise...they offered me £100 just to look at it...

I declined diagnosis not fully knowing the issue they wanted to look at.

Picked car up at closing time...

Went to put diesel in and cant open fuel flap!!!

Tried lock un lock to no avail, ended up forcing open so lost a bit of plastic retaining clip...motor not working but can now manually open close, but it is not locking.

I've never had this problem till Audi mentioned it.

Any recourse for this ? as its something happened in their possession..

Last edited:
Theres a cable in the rear quarter that goes to the fuel flap, you can access it by removing the piece of trim in the boot. Pulling this lever will release flap.

Remember just because we like Audi cars, doesnt mean we like Audi Dealerships. I think they are one of the worst I have come accross, terrible prices customer service, also horror stories with their mechanics.
£600.00 they sure seen you coming, Audi approved are £425.00 in wales.
Please come on here before going to Audi again, and I would never go to Audi again for work.