Opinion on 8V Qi charger location in 8P

Troubs12

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi everyone I’m after a second, third or forth opinion really I recently fitted the US centre console and after a bit of modding and advice from another member on here got the 8V Qi charging plate installed.

I’ve recently have to take the whole interior out again as I was crazy enough to change my 8P1 ops for the 8P3 bcm. After I took the plate out though I put it in the armrest for safe keeping and found it looked quite smart in there. I’m thinking of making it a permanent thing but was wondering what you guys thought. I think the one issue I might find is if I drive with the armrest up then it’s obviously not going to sit right. Then I’d have to order the 12v sockets for the console which isn’t the end of the world.

Pics are below:

Current:

3878804e75e50f8b4d9e2081b000f351.jpg

Potential new place.

5220a149a95190a53259776ab288748f.jpg

9b51c57bfb193e590bd694f6334b08b1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: No more
Hey Troubs,
I prefer the location that you have right now. You can have the armrest up or down with no difference.
And also you can use the armrest for storing things.
Also now you have fast access to the phone if needed. Me personally I put the phone on a oem-mounts.com mount between the vents for easy access.
If you have aftermarket HU and have car play, then you could put it in the armrest as well.

Out of interest where did you source the centre console from?

I got it new from tps it needs a bit of trimming to make it fit as it’s for LHD not RHD but not much there’s few posts on here about it. The other posts say that it doesn’t fit on the left hand side but if you trim it up so you can still access the pollen filter it fits lovely.

Console: 8P18632416PS

Covers: 8P18981736PS

12v socket: 8P0863387G6PS though I didn’t order this as I went with the Qi charger

The sliding cover can be reused.

Hey Troubs,
I prefer the location that you have right now. You can have the armrest up or down with no difference.
And also you can use the armrest for storing things.
Also now you have fast access to the phone if needed. Me personally I put the phone on a oem-mounts.com mount between the vents for easy access.
If you have aftermarket HU and have car play, then you could put it in the armrest as well.

Completely get what you mean it would be easier leaving it I just thought that as my current armrest has a phone cradle in it already that I don’t use it might be easier. Also it would give me back a 12v socket inside but then I never used it anyway. I suppose it’d let me use the AUX but again never needed it. I’m a avid rns-e guy and I’m not a fan of mounts I know they’ve improved a lot but I’m the 1% of people that would knock it off haha.

I’ll order the 12v and bits just to see how it looks.

Happy new year everyone