8v Steering Wheel On 8p

I have experience with a round steering wheel only. A 8K steering wheel is thicker than a 8P steering wheel. I think the FB steering wheel is thicker than the round one, at least it looks thicker on a photo. I believe Ash187 can say more as he's working with these things.

Ash 187 is really experienced!!
Wish he was in Athens!!

look what got delivered today

IMG_2591.jpg

Reactions: Nikolaos
It looks new. Do you retrofit new steering wheels only?
Speaking of thickness. Some people are interested in thicker and sexier steering wheel. Would you mind to measure the wheel rim girth at 12 or 5 o'clock? We could compare it with a non-flat bottom wheel girth then and get an answer.

Il try and measure it later today
The flat bottom wheels are definitely thicker, they look and feel it when you hold it

Il try and measure it later today
The flat bottom wheels are definitely thicker, they look and feel it when you hold it

Just for the record my steering wheel module has an F in the end. I upgraded it to F when audi hellas retrofitted cruise control. I do have the buttons regarding the sound and the change of radio stations or tunes.. Both of them work fine!!

It looks new. Do you retrofit new steering wheels only?
Speaking of thickness. Some people are interested in thicker and sexier steering wheel. Would you mind to measure the wheel rim girth at 12 or 5 o'clock? We could compare it with a non-flat bottom wheel girth then and get an answer.
Compare it with the 8p0064244e mfsw as regards thickness...

A question about the connector. How do you squeeze an A4 steering wheel plug into your A3 slip ring connector?
I struggled to push the plug when I tried to fit a Q5 steering wheel. I succeeded at the end, but I felt like I broke everything there (I didn't though).
The plug is a little different if you look at it closer. I tried a A4 B7 plug too. It doesn't fit at all.

I took some pics of the plugs I tried and made a compilation. In the middle is an original 8P plug, the one I have on an old wheel. The Q5 plug that I was able to fit with some struggles is to the left and the A4 B7 one is to the right (it doesn't fit).

How do you fit the A4 B8 plug? Should you push it hard? It doesn't look exactly like the 8P one.

Audi MFSW connectors A3 A4 Q5

A question about the connector. How do you squeeze an A4 steering wheel plug into your A3 slip ring connector?
I struggled to push the plug when I tried to fit a Q5 steering wheel. I succeeded at the end, but I felt like I broke everything there (I didn't though).
The plug is a little different if you look at it closer. I tried a A4 B7 plug too. It doesn't fit at all.

I took some pics of the plugs I tried and made a compilation. In the middle is an original 8P plug, the one I have on an old wheel. The Q5 plug that I was able to fit with some struggles is to the left and the A4 B7 one is to the right (it doesn't fit).

How do you fit the A4 B8 plug? Should you push it hard? It doesn't look exactly like the 8P one.

View attachment 124230
get a knife and trim the sides

get a knife and trim the sides
Took it as an advise and trimmed protruding parts of an A4 B7 plug. Then filed the upper rails a little to do them the same thickness as the original one. Installed the wheel today, the plug clicked on place without any struggles. All buttons work the same as on the original steering wheel.

Now a question about the buttons. There's a new button (navigation?). Does it work on a 8P car?

Reactions: fernando young and Nikolaos
Took it as an advise and trimmed protruding parts of an A4 B7 plug. Then filed the upper rails a little to do them the same thickness as the original one. Installed the wheel today, the plug clicked on place without any struggles. All buttons work the same as on the original steering wheel.

Now a question about the buttons. There's a new button (navigation?). Does it work on a 8P car?

Upload an image of your new mfsw!!!!
Thus, you 've got an A4 b7 on an 8p, right?!

Last edited:
No didn't get around to measuring it although I do have another I can check.
Here is the wheel fitted into an A7
IMG_2673.jpg

Swapped the buttons around as the mode button is from an A4/A5 but in wanted those buttons as a spare since I have another wheel for that.
Everything working as it should

Also the Nav button doesn't work on the 8P. No functionality for it

Last edited:
Upload an image of your new mfsw!!!!
Thus, you 've got an A4 b7 on an 8p, right?!
Here you go. It's not A4 B7 wheel. I used a plug from A4 B7 only (the right one on my previous photo) which I shaved to fit the A3 slip ring connector.

The steering wheel that I installed was sold to me as A4/A5/Q5 steering wheel without any mention of a car it came from. I guess it was taken off a Q5 as I never saw a steering wheel of this design (with a hole and polished plastic frame in a middle/lower spoke). I chose it because of this design. It looks better in person. However, another wheel is on the way to me and I will have to choose one of the two when it arrives.

Q5 steering wheel in A3

Here you go. It's not A4 B7 wheel. I used a plug from A4 B7 only (the right one on my previous photo) which I shaved to fit the A3 slip ring connector.

The steering wheel that I installed was sold to me as A4/A5/Q5 steering wheel without any mention of a car it came from. I guess it was taken off a Q5 as I never saw a steering wheel of this design (with a hole and polished plastic frame in a middle/lower spoke). I chose it because of this design. It looks better in person. However, another wheel is on the way to me and I will have to choose one of the two when it arrives.

View attachment 124510
Awesome!!! How does the grip feel?
By the way, u ve got a really nice navi unit!!!

Reactions: dp_motley
Awesome!!! How does the grip feel?
By the way, u ve got a really nice navi unit!!!
The steering wheel rim is thicker. The grip and ergonomic feel differently. It definitely better than the 8P wheel.

As to the navi unit, its Xtrons android head unit. It's discussed in the "Android RNS-E" thread.

Hi guys,
Just a quick question - I've got a 2004 A3 so it uses a single stage airbag and wanted to change my steering wheel to a multifunction. I've got the module and slipring all sorted, now I just need to figure out which wheel to choose and the appropriate airbag for it.
As I've read and looked I will need an 8K wheel (so it uses the old LIN version), but an 8V airbag as it is single stage.
Do you guys know of any website that I can x-refernce a wheel and airbag to make sure it fits? OEMEPC doesn't seem to be of much help unfortunately...

I've looked at 8K0419091BM steering wheel and 8V0880201 airbag. Comparing them by eye on eBay photos looks like they will fit. What do you guys think? Also would there be any other steering wheel and airbag that would fit, but be a bit cheaper than these? Poor student here so the budget is a bit tight lol :)

That's exactly the combination of wheel and airbag you need.
When it is a dual stage airbag that is used the airbag connector has to be repinned so you might want someone to clarify whether or not when fitting the single stage airbag that you have found whether that will need repinning or not.
Because your A3 uses single stage airbag I think you're quite limited to what steering wheel and airbags you can use

Hey,

Bumping up the topic since I saw a lot of the knowledgeable people looked over this thread as well.
I will also be looking to do the upgrade and saw the LIN 1.3 and 2.0 discussion. Sorry if it will be a stupid question but what if we upgrade the slip ring to something like 1K0-953-549-CD which is LIN 2.0 capable and still has the angle sensor in it like in the "old" ones, will this solve the Highline Buttons working ?

Reactions: Nikolaos and fernando young
Don’t think that’s going to work as the slip ring only provides physical connection for the wire to go through and connect the buttons to the steering wheel control module.
The LIN protocol version depends on what the steering wheel control module can understand so you would need a newer controller that is compatible with LIN 2.0

Sorry I meant the control module not slip ring as that does not do anything other that the contact as you mentioned.
I will see if I can sort one and will report back.

MFSW (flat bottom): 8T / 8U / 8K0 419 091 CN.
MFSW (round) 8K0 419 091 CA
8K dual stage airbag for 8K wheel: 8K0 880 201 AE
Buttons, if steering wheels doesn't have them: 4L0951523C (need confirmation)

Just to clarify, as an owner of A3 8P49, MY 5/2009, do I need the dual stage airbag or sth else?

How do I clarify that I have a dual airbag?
what year is your car? if its post 2006, it will be dual, up to 2012. (so pretty much all 8P have dual stage airbags)
but anyways if you want to check you can simply undo the screws behind the airbag and thats it, you dont even have to disconnect it

what year is your car? if its post 2006, it will be dual, up to 2012. (so pretty much all 8P have dual stage airbags)
but anyways if you want to check you can simply undo the screws behind the airbag and thats it, you dont even have to disconnect it

5/2009 (8p49A)

Hi guys
Just a quick question! What's the part number of the airbag that fits 8S0419091 steering wheel?

Hi guys
Just a quick question! What's the part number of the airbag that fits 8S0419091 steering wheel?

thats a totally different steering wheel, and dont even try it... it simply wont work
1. the buttons on that steering wheel wont have any communication with your 8P (and i doubt theres a version of that steering wheel with 'lowline' buttons')
2. the airbag for that steering wheel only comes with single stage, and most 8P cars are dual stage (from 2006 and on), since your car is 2009 the airbag for that steering wheel wont work.

Good evening to all!!!
I am really interested to upgrade my steering wheel, my car is and Audi A3 2004 3 stoke single stage, I would like to change with a3 8v flat steering wheel...
Could you suggest me exactly all the components I need to fit an sline flat multifunction steering wheel without palette?
Regards
Lorenzo

Good evening to all!!!
I am really interested to upgrade my steering wheel, my car is and Audi A3 2004 3 stoke single stage, I would like to change with a3 8v flat steering wheel...
Could you suggest me exactly all the components I need to fit an sline flat multifunction steering wheel without palette?
Regards
Lorenzo

The answers you require are in this thread:
Version F steering module
Version D slip ring
A wheel and airbag + coding

Hi guys, sorry to bump up the old thread, but this one has most information of what I needed.

My car is 2006 A3, 5 door, V6 sline North America spec. It came with MFSW with gear paddles at the back of the wheel too (airbag is square shaped like). Before I go ahead and place my orders on any of the wheels or airbags I wanted to double check so that I buy correct items.

Is my vehicle equipped with a single stage or dual stage airbag?
Even though most of the replies say that it's dual stage Fernando states that it's single stage, as well as diy post here:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7043034-8v-steering-wheel-on-8p

As for the wheel itself I am getting the one with mode button instead of arrows. So presumably if the facts are correct I need to get 8K steering wheel with Dual Stage airbag. Is anyone aware which models are single/dual staged just to ease the search for airbag?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Hi guys, sorry to bump up the old thread, but this one has most information of what I needed.

My car is 2006 A3, 5 door, V6 sline North America spec. It came with MFSW with gear paddles at the back of the wheel too (airbag is square shaped like). Before I go ahead and place my orders on any of the wheels or airbags I wanted to double check so that I buy correct items.

Is my vehicle equipped with a single stage or dual stage airbag?
Even though most of the replies say that it's dual stage Fernando states that it's single stage, as well as diy post here:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7043034-8v-steering-wheel-on-8p

As for the wheel itself I am getting the one with mode button instead of arrows. So presumably if the facts are correct I need to get 8K steering wheel with Dual Stage airbag. Is anyone aware which models are single/dual staged just to ease the search for airbag?

Thanks a lot in advance,

If your airbag is the square type or sometimes called a shield type then it’s a dual stage airbag so you’ll need to buy a dual stage airbag for the new one.
The guy in the link above has got his dates wrong, the dual stage airbag came in before 2008 it was probably 2005 or 2006.

The wheel you are going to get is for an Audi A4 or A5 so you need that kind of dual stage airbag from an A4 or A5 to go with it but I don’t know the part numbers for them. Aslong as it is the newer type of round airbag and dual stage then you’ll be fine, just make sure it isn’t the older round airbag that you get on 8p a3’s and S3’s as they’re slightly different.
Also don’t get the airbag from an 8V A3 as even though it looks exactly the same, as you said before they are single stage airbags.

When it’s sorted you’ll need to repin the connector on the airbag for it to work on your A3 and just disconnect the battery while installing your new wheel and airbag.

Thanks Ab1702.

That was my suspicion but I'm glad I confirmed it.
I already found a steering wheel w/ airbag included, part number 8K0419091BN. It's from a local ad and guy claims it's suitable for A4,A5,Q5,Q7 though it's not a flat bottom one which I am fine with.

As for re-pinning of the wiring between the wheel and airbag I would be using the far right example on the screenshot that I attached from earlier replies. I wonder if there is any plug-n-play option or are these newer steering wheels all in need of reshuffling wires to connect to ECU?

And sure, battery disconnected and away from the power leads, for the piece of mind, lol.

Thanks again!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-05-28 at 3.40.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-28 at 3.40.40 PM.png
    233.7 KB · Views: 586
Thanks Ab1702.

That was my suspicion but I'm glad I confirmed it.
I already found a steering wheel w/ airbag included, part number 8K0419091BN. It's from a local ad and guy claims it's suitable for A4,A5,Q5,Q7 though it's not a flat bottom one which I am fine with.

As for re-pinning of the wiring between the wheel and airbag I would be using the far right example on the screenshot that I attached from earlier replies. I wonder if there is any plug-n-play option or are these newer steering wheels all in need of reshuffling wires to connect to ECU?

And sure, battery disconnected and away from the power leads, for the piece of mind, lol.

Thanks again!

As far as I know there is no plug and play option for the airbag.
When i bought mine off a guy on eBay he asked me what car I was putting it on and when I said an A3, he repinned it for me before he sent it to me.

Thanks again, Ab1702.

Would anyone know if 8W wheel (photo below) could be fitted on 8P? To what I found it uses dual stage airbags on A4s/Q5s.

s-l1600.jpg

Should be fine it it’s used on a4’s, it has the correct buttons that you need. You’d still have to repin the airbag though

I know there's a diagram in a few posts above on how to convert 8K airbag wiring to 8P but I suspect it will be different for 8W.

Do you think this can be repined just by having a wiring diagram (bentley manual or similar) or would it be relatively easy just to eyeball which wire goes where in the airbag and replicate it to match 8P?

http://www.project-build.net/chapter/834/steering-wheel-upgrade
I found this DIY even though steering wheel is similar it has a different (single staged) airbag and the guy does not explain where he got the rewiring part from.

thanks again,