A3/S3 delivery lead time?

Did your dealer know the status? Or did they say still waiting for ship etc?
My contact at the dealer was not working today. I just got the email from Audi uk saying it arrived in uk and next step is to transport to dealer

I got my "final checks" email on Monday 25th and then the dealer followed that up with an email saying it had left the factory and was on its way. Dealer says it should be here late October.

Must admit, I was a little disappointed. I thought once it was on its way, why would it take about a month to get here? Surely the actual transit elements only take a few days total (lorry to German port/ship crossing/lorry to dealer), so do the cars just sit at the ports (on both sides) for several days/few weeks?

It's very difficult to just be patient in these circumstances! LOL

I asked my dealer about my q5 today as its 5 weeks since build and I was told 5-6 weeks. Basically just wait until its landed in the UK.

Part of his response was :

"Annoyingly logistics are a bit unpredictable. I had an S3 built and with us within 2 weeks which was unreal. Whereas I've had other cars sit awaiting shipping to the UK for 3-4 weeks, so it is a bit of a nightmare sometimes"

I asked my dealer about my q5 today as its 5 weeks since build and I was told 5-6 weeks. Basically just wait until its landed in the UK.

Part of his response was :

"Annoyingly logistics are a bit unpredictable. I had an S3 built and with us within 2 weeks which was unreal. Whereas I've had other cars sit awaiting shipping to the UK for 3-4 weeks, so it is a bit of a nightmare sometimes"
The Q5 is built in Mexico I believe and then used to go back to Germany for additional Quality Control checks, although that was when the factory was new, so not sure if that still happens

alesI got my "final checks" email on Monday 25th and then the dealer followed that up with an email saying it had left the factory and was on its way. Dealer says it should be here late October.

Must admit, I was a little disappointed. I thought once it was on its way, why would it take about a month to get here? Surely the actual transit elements only take a few days total (lorry to German port/ship crossing/lorry to dealer), so do the cars just sit at the ports (on both sides) for several days/few weeks?

It's very difficult to just be patient in these circumstances! LOL
We got the " final checks " email on the same day.

I'm getting the same sort of timescale, having at one time been told it would arrive in September. :confusion:

I've not had any further emails from Audi UK although I think my car is in Germany.

I've decided the more I think about it the longer it will take to arrive. :sorrow:

Reactions: Scotty
The Q5 is built in Mexico I believe and then used to go back to Germany for additional Quality Control checks, although that was when the factory was new, so not sure if that still happens
They've built around a million so I think they're more trusted now. It goes from Mexico to NY then NY to Germany where it falls into the European logistics operation and then over to the UK.

So once it’s in uk, does it not take long for the car to be prepped? Just remote the protective covers and a quick jet wash then off to the dealer?

How long did it take from the start of the build until you got the email saying it was in the UK? My dealer advised me up to 10 weeks which seems like a long time.
I had the same update yesterday. Car is definitely going into production 9th October and up to 10 weeks then for delivery.

The guy I spoke to actually said there's still a chance it could be January if things like shipping etc get delayed. Especially over the Christmas period.

But it most likely to be some time in early December.

Reactions: jdw2525
Has anyone who has already received their car struggled to sort insurance as the reg plate isn't being recognised?

This is often a problem when buying new cars. The dealers generally don't register the car until the day of collection, just in case the deal "falls through" at the last minute.

I think it then takes a couple of days after registration, for the car to appear on insurance databases.

You should still be able to arrange the insurance but will need to manually input the details of the make/model, rather than relying on the registration number. I would imagine that insurance companies are quite used to this situation, with the amount of new cars being bought all the time.

Audi offer 7 days free insurance to make it easy to collect and then sort you own out. It seems that I'll be checking that process pretty soon. My initial order was 28th Jan, I cancelled once built to get the new spec. Its been a long wait ...

SmartSelect 20230930 135721 Email

I've just had the "We've checked it over, now it's over to you." email today after the "in build" email on July 11th. Got to assume it wasn't actually in build in July despite my dealer say it was.

Do I recall that these emails can be a bit behind so it could have started its transit earlier this week? Hoping for mid October but won't get my hopes up until its insight of the dealer

My build complete email was received on the Monday after the stated build week. No delay

Reactions: tomascott
Could my car be on this ship? Looks like it’s come from Grimsby, to Emden then back to grimsby so could be?

Attachments

• IMG_4894.png
    IMG_4894.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 62
Time stamped 11:20?

A couple of us waiting on q5's did too. Bulk email for the whole boat load

Time stamped 11:20?

A couple of us waiting on q5's did too. Bulk email for the whole boat load
Yeah lol 11.20! Can anyone see when the boat actually arrived? I’m hoping it arrived a few days ago and already on its way to dealer and emails are just delayed?

My dealer told me on Friday lunchtime so a small delay from then but don't know how accurate his info was. The other q5 guy got told by his dealer this morning.

Ah maybe ship docked on Friday then. Just hoping it doesn’t sit at the dock for weeks and gets on a transporter soon. I’m not sure what the norm is?
My dealer told me on Friday lunchtime so a small delay from then but don't know how accurate his info was. The other q5 guy got told by his dealer this morning.

I've never followed the build so closely before. I've always just waited for the call. Fretting over it doesn't speed up delivery. If anything it makes it feel slower. They want their money ASAP so I know it won't just be left in a siding.

I am pretty sure my car was on the same ship as some of yours as I finally got a notification yesterday to say it's in the UK (so yes, I have gone from not knowing if it was built to it being in the UK in less than 2 weeks thanks to the leasing company's lack of updates haha)

Hopefully won't be too long now for any of us once they've made their way from Grimsby (especially hoping since my current car's MOT+service are due in a month and I want it gone before having to redo them lol)

Last edited:
Reactions: Reginka
I am pretty sure my car was on the same ship as some of yours as I finally got a notification yesterday to say it's in the UK (so yes, I have gone from not knowing if it was built to it being in the UK in less than 2 weeks thanks to the leasing company's lack of updates haha)

Hopefully won't be too long now for any of us once they've made their way from Grimsby (especially hoping since my current car's MOT+service are due in a month and I want it gone before having to redo them lol)
I’m assuming I won’t get a further update email and I’ll just get a call from my dealer saying it’s ready? Or do they call you say a week in advance to book in a collection appointment?

I’m assuming I won’t get a further update email and I’ll just get a call from my dealer saying it’s ready? Or do they call you say a week in advance to book in a collection appointment?
My dealer usually calls me himself.

To be fair, this is my first new car from Audi but yes as far as I'm aware you'll just get a call once the dealer have it ready for you.

Thats what I'm waiting on anyway!

To be fair, this is my first new car from Audi but yes as far as I'm aware you'll just get a call once the dealer have it ready for you.

Thats what I'm waiting on anyway!
Just annoying the waiting any not knowing lol, I want to plan ahead

Just annoying the waiting any not knowing lol, I want to plan ahead
Yeah, I am quite impatient so don't like waiting without knowing lol, but based on past posts in this group I don't think it will be any longer than 2 weeks now they're in the UK. Especially since we are now into October there won't be any waiting for 73 plates to come out so that'll hopefully make it quicker than some last month.

Yeah, I am quite impatient so don't like waiting without knowing lol, but based on past posts in this group I don't think it will be any longer than 2 weeks now they're in the UK. Especially since we are now into October there won't be any waiting for 73 plates to come out so that'll hopefully make it quicker than some last month.
Yeah 2 weeks won’t be bad as I assume ship came in last Friday so half way there now lol

I placed my order (A3 Tfsie 40 S-Line) via our company car portal 27/07, this was approved via a funder middle of August, and I've received a delivery date of 13/03/24.

As it's a company car I'm assuming I won't receive all the normal Audi automated updates/emails and I'll have to keep chasing. It's my first new car and 7 months seems a long time to me, although not as bad as some I've read over the last 10 pages or so!

I placed my order (A3 Tfsie 40 S-Line) via our company car portal 27/07, this was approved via a funder middle of August, and I've received a delivery date of 13/03/24.

As it's a company car I'm assuming I won't receive all the normal Audi automated updates/emails and I'll have to keep chasing. It's my first new car and 7 months seems a long time to me, although not as bad as some I've read over the last 10 pages or so!
I placed through my company car portal too. End of May and been given delivery estimate of January (due to Christmas etc) (I’ve also ordered a 40 TFSIe S Line) so seems to be standard at the minute.
I agree with the chasing, I have chased the dealer looking after my order (Leeds Audi) I got a response around 3/4 weeks ago to say I’ve been given a build week of 44 (30th October). I have emailed twice since with no reply. Was hoping to get confirmation of this build week being locked in as it’s less than 4 weeks away now. Hopefully it’s not been delayed as I’m hoping it’s in the uk before the Christmas period

Reactions: mdex
I placed through my company car portal too. End of May and been given delivery estimate of January (due to Christmas etc) (I’ve also ordered a 40 TFSIe S Line) so seems to be standard at the minute.
I agree with the chasing, I have chased the dealer looking after my order (Leeds Audi) I got a response around 3/4 weeks ago to say I’ve been given a build week of 44 (30th October). I have emailed twice since with no reply. Was hoping to get confirmation of this build week being locked in as it’s less than 4 weeks away now. Hopefully it’s not been delayed as I’m hoping it’s in the uk before the Christmas period
I noticed that they often don't respond to email. I start calling because it's easier.

Reactions: Dbrett25

At which point did you find out which dealer your order was placed with?

I’m told mines still at port waiting to be deflated and normal times from port to dealer at 7 to 14 days. It then has to go to prep centre for pdi then sent to dealership

At which point did you find out which dealer your order was placed with?
once Leaseplan approved the order, the dealership emailed me to double check the spec was correct before they placed the order with the factory

I’m told mines still at port waiting to be deflated and normal times from port to dealer at 7 to 14 days. It then has to go to prep centre for pdi then sent to dealership
mine arrived at the port on 28th and expected with the dealer on the 6th. Collection from 10th onwards.

Reactions: Scotty