Cluster illumination help

Darren_1976

Reaction score
Hi folks, so yesterday i had my starter motor replaced and the car is running again which i am delighted about. However i now have no cluster illumination. The red needles light up and can be dimmed accordingly. However there is no illumination on the speedo etc. I have replaced the two 5 amp fuses but still no illumination. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Did they light up before? and do they light up when you turn on the lights?

<tuffty/>

Yes they were working prior. The red needles light up with the engine off and all the other lights work. Just no illumination. The battery was out for a good 40 mins yesterday.

car starts, dash works as normal other wise? illumination lights up when you turn on lights?

<tuffty/>

just to be clear... no illumination even with the lights on... reason I ask is that the dash illumination can be coded to be combinations of dial and needle illumination states and its not unusual for only the needles to be illuminated with ignition on and not the dial back lights...

If the illumination works withe the lights turned on it sounds more like a coding issue...

More info here
https://wak-tt.com/vagcom/vagcomdashillum.htm

<tuffty/>

Problem solved just by pure luck from reading a post via a google search. I changed both fuses for the sidelights and voila !!! There were no warning lights stating there was an issue with the sidelights which is weird. However i know have full illumination of the cluster. Many thanks for your help.

Reactions: <tuffty/>