S3 8l no start

Lukiey

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've decided to make an account on here to ask for help with my 2001 S3 Bam not starting, driving it back from work last week it was faultless, I then went to start it the next morning and nothing besides a loud click, it's also like the car resets everytime I turn the key to start it (all lights go out and back on and my screenwash warning light does it's annoying beep). I initially thought it was the battery so tried jump starting it, still nothing, luckily I live on a slight hill so we tried bump starting it and it was absolutely fine, no issues bumping and then I took it round the block with no running issues. After parking up and letting it cool down I tried starting again, still nothing, this is when I got annoyed as I really needed the car so I just brought the most common bits to go wrong, a new battery (the old one was a bit tired anyway) and a new starter motor, I also got new battery terminals as it had some awful ones that didn't do up very tight and cleaned some grounding points, none of these bits solved the problem and now I know not to go buying parts willy nilly without testing them first. So really my question is; what else could it be!?! I read about a starter relay which fits the symptoms, but don't know it's exact location and want to test it before buying a new one. i don't know a lot about these cars yet as I've only had it 6 months and only been daily driving it for a few weeks! Any ideas at all are welcome, thanks.

-Luke

Video of problem:

Last edited:
Possibly the ignition switch has failed. You need somebody who knows about car electrics to check things over. If you are 100% sure the battery is charged and the suspect battery terminals are correctly fitted and tight.

Reactions: MPH
Thanks for the replies guys, after scanning with vagcom earlier today (this is the 2nd time I've scanned, no codes came up the first time) a code for intermittent key signal came up, I don't really know what this means but have noticed my ignition switch just seems very loose there's no real click when it goes to each part of the barrel (sorry forgot to mention in original post). I don't mind ordering up a new ignition switch as one last thing to try before taking it to the professionals anyway as it's not very expensive and will make the ignition feel a bit better anyway.

-Luke

Reactions: desertstorm
Thanks for the replies guys, after scanning with vagcom earlier today (this is the 2nd time I've scanned, no codes came up the first time) a code for intermittent key signal came up, I don't really know what this means but have noticed my ignition switch just seems very loose there's no real click when it goes to each part of the barrel (sorry forgot to mention in original post). I don't mind ordering up a new ignition switch as one last thing to try before taking it to the professionals anyway as it's not very expensive and will make the ignition feel a bit better anyway.

-Luke
The intermittent key signal is to do with immobiliser reader coil common fault also had the ignition switch problems no start

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk