Possible new owner, what to look?

kyle92

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I have put a deposit on a 2010 A4 Avant S-line special edition 121k, sadly it is in worcester and I am in central belt scotland so the best I have had thus far is questions and videos.

Is this anything in particular I should be looking at when looking before I pay the full amount?

It has a full service history, timing belt and water pump done, as well as a possible flywheel from another previous owner (no receipts kept to confirm).
Also has a replacement apple carplay/android auto display installed (much to my pleasure).

Cheers,
Kyle

If its a 2.0 tfsi, make sure its not got piston ring issues, oil consumption.

The TDIs are pretty robust. If this car has been on a long-service regime, then get back to 10k oil change intervals and use Castrol Edge 5w30 or similar as long as it meets VW specification. The fuel filter is due every 20k miles and is straight forward to replace (under driver's side). Pollen filter rarely get's changed from what I hear, but if you like fresh air - then it's under the passenger side dash. Use Mann or similar with charcoal filter.

At 121k miles check out the rear suspension rubber spring seats. The sub-frames do tend to get rusty at this age, but if it's been 'down south' maybe it's escaped the harsher climate and our salted roads. Otherwise, jet wash it with the wheels off and liberally coat in Lanogard or similar once dry. Suspension wise it should still feel tight. Any tell-tale clonks could be upper control arms or ARB links. Have a look at the suspension struts for any signs of weeping.

Bodywork - then it's an 11 year old car, but Audi paint is good quality unless it's been repaired. Check the front wings, especially for stone chips on lower edge. You can fit a modified B8.5 stone protector guard to protect that area.

If you have a friend with VCDS, then get it scanned. I guarantee it will have some errors - G65 pressure sensor for example. Satellite navigation will probably be out of date too - but plenty guides on here on how to update.

If it has a panoramic sunroof - then it will leak no doubt. Check the drain holes front (exit near front door hinge) and at the back under the wheel-well trims, also bulkhead drainage - as they can clog with pine needles and leaves.

Anyway - post some pictures and hope everything goes well.

Rather ironically the sale has fallen through, his other car has a cracked sump so he can't sell the A4 until he sorts his A6, so I have moved on.

I have put a deposit on this 2010 2.0l 170bhp quattro instead, 115k miles, FSH (mostly audi) cam belt and water pump done at 90k, I am ruddy happy!

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    321.8 KB · Views: 53
  • s-l1600 (4).jpg
    s-l1600 (4).jpg
    290 KB · Views: 70
  • s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 52
  • s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg