B5 Speaker Upgrades

nomadx

Reaction score
I have blown a rear speaker in my A4, so have decided to begin the upgrade to all the speakers, starting from the back lol. What size are they for direct replacements? The rear shelf and rear doors I mean, and front doors? Thanks, and hi!

The fronts are 4" components with 1" tweeters, the rear shelf uses 6.5" coaxials, not sure on the rear doors. You'll need fitting adapters for all locations in order to fit any aftermarket speaker. Bear in mind that the rear amp is bolted to the left rear deck speaker so by removing the unit you'll loase all amplification to the rear. You either need to add a small amp of your own, or try and still use the stock amp. Or if you have an aftermarket HU you can rewire the rears directly to it.

Are the rears amped even when they're not Bose Andy? Just got some new ones for the rear but didn't realise I might need an amp for them.

I'm going to be running them off a Sony h/u rather than an oem one. Would that make any difference i.e. would I still need an amp?

Yes the rears are amped on both non-Bose and Bose.
Non-Bose the amp is bolted to the rear left speaker, so if you remove the speaker you lose the amp.
If you have a Sony HU then it's easy to just rewire the rears to the front of the car and run them off the far superior internal amp on the Sony and do away with the pre-out lead feeding the stock amp.
If you have a stock Audi HU then it doesn't have an internal amp for rear speakers so you'd need to add your own. Buy one of the tiny old school Alpine amps off ebay, they tend to go for about £15 and can be easily hidden away in the boot 3501 or 3503.

Cheers chief! Prob sort it when I swap the interior seeing as you've got to take the seat out to get the back shelf out!

whats the max size i can run in the front doors, if i use the adaptors?