Can I engine swap my 1.4 tfsi with 2.0 tsi on my A3 8v?

Adhamnader

Reaction score
I just wanted your opinion on engine swapping the 1.4 tfsi to 2.0 tsi on the a3 8v. Can it be done?

Hi.
If you have any problems with insurance for a modified vehicle then please feel free to give us a try.
Our call centre number is 0800 369 8590 if you need it at all.
Regards,
Dan.

I really don't understand why people want to do this any more. Its not as simple as swapping the engine over as you need the ECU and loom, and assuming you do get it working you'll have a much faster car with inadequate brakes and suspension. Just swap cars and be done with it IMO.

Reactions: S32B, Neil C and Garrett 69
I really don't understand why people want to do this any more. Its not as simple as swapping the engine over as you need the ECU and loom, and assuming you do get it working you'll have a much faster car with inadequate brakes and suspension. Just swap cars and be done with it IMO.
Ah but back in the day, how many people actually declared the mods to DVLA or the insurance company? I know loads who didn't.

Back then it was a pretty straight forward job, no electrickery to worry about, no laptop required.

Ah but back in the day, how many people actually declared the mods to DVLA or the insurance company? I know loads who didn't.

Back then it was a pretty straight forward job, no electrickery to worry about, no laptop required.
Yeah but these nonsense declaring mods and sht is pure englis crafty cnty ripoff.. It absolutely doesn't ad or takes to the co2 emissions.. It is typical english idea how to get money out of people. Why t f I have to pay more if I add or change different part of the car? Or we all here repair car you changing everything are you reporting all? Don't think so.
In my country such sht cheeky ideas absolutely doesn’t exist (for now)
And insurances for cars are not so expensive.
Just saying

Yeah but these nonsense declaring mods and sht is pure englis crafty cnty ripoff.. It absolutely doesn't ad or takes to the co2 emissions.. It is typical english idea how to get money out of people. Why t f I have to pay more if I add or change different part of the car? Or we all here repair car you changing everything are you reporting all? Don't think so.
In my country such sht cheeky ideas absolutely doesn’t exist (for now)
And insurances for cars are not so expensive.
Just saying
You clearly don’t understand how the insurance market works. Modifying is a different thing to repairing like for like as it alters the risk insured.

Reactions: Garrett 69
You clearly don’t understand how the insurance market works. Modifying is a different thing to repairing like for like as it alters the risk insured.
Yes I know komplete ripoff :) for naive who will not fight or play game with them..
But who knows when you repairing car will put exactly the same part? Pol usually replace it with better or upgrade (of course if you do it yourself) ordinary people will just oay ridiculous amount of money and mechanics will put them even worse parts.
So many totaly unnecessary questions when quoting or such rubbish if I am parking on road or in driveway jesus christ..
Hey I can drive any car in my country so for example my brothers or my friends or anyones car and no need to pay more or register.
I my country everything, driving licence related and insurance is done at police station.
So don't worry I know how it here works. Just big business it is

Basically, do with your car whatever you want.
And don't say nothing to anyone who you paying.
It is just their opportunity to milk money of you.

Eh? You may be "insured" even though you haven't declared your mods, but if you have a serious smash which involves some personal injury payout of £££££s the first thing the insurance company will look to do is avoiding paying. So, that nice shiney exhaust you've put on your car which wasnt declared then invalidates your insurance, and suddenly you become personally liable for that injury payout as well any other losses incurred. Why would anyone choose this? It's absurd to suggest that this is even remotely a good idea.

Last edited:
Reactions: alpesh26 and Garrett 69
Eh? You may be "insured" even though you haven't declared your mods, but if you have a serious smash which involves some personal injury payout of £££££s the first thing the insurance company will look to do is avoiding paying. So, that nice shiney exhaust you've put on your car which wasnt declared then invalidates your insurance, and suddenly you become personally liable for that injury payout as well any other losses incurred. Why would anyone choose this? It's absurd to suggest that this is even remotely a good idea.
Yes I know, still aftermarket parts are cheaper than audi original or about same price range. I don't think exhaust case injury. Mostly drivers fault.
Personal injury will occur with original parts same as with aftermarket parts. That you will pay anyway even if u would cause accident
That's everyone's decision before changing. If you are not maniac driver , you will never cause an accident.
And if they crash into you, then of course they will pay you original price of the car no matter what you have put on.
If you buy for example 19'' wheels from market cheap still audi original, the original audi parts still will be more expensive or same or similar price range.
I think if you change parts but are still audi brand should be ok, otherwise government would ban aftermarket parts for selling and would make it illegal.
It is same for example with trend with LEDs bulbs everyone replacing them. And MOT will still pass.
Basically it is car owner decision and you are aware of it.
If you put that shiny exhaust then it will be better to tell them if it is expensive. If you put same exhaust no need to tell them.
People mostly put parts onto the cars which are still from Audi A3 series chassis .. So audi can confirm that these parts can be used for this type of model.

government would ban aftermarket parts for selling and would make it illegal.

This is exactly what they are planning on doing in the UK. You can go on about it all you like but not declaring mods is just plain stupid. Asking for trouble, but go ahead if that's what you want to do

This is exactly what they are planning on doing in the UK. You can go on about it all you like but not declaring mods is just plain stupid. Asking for trouble, but go ahead if that's what you want to do
Ok

Yes I know, still aftermarket parts are cheaper than audi original or about same price range. I don't think exhaust case injury. Mostly drivers fault.
Personal injury will occur with original parts same as with aftermarket parts. That you will pay anyway even if u would cause accident
That's everyone's decision before changing. If you are not maniac driver , you will never cause an accident.
And if they crash into you, then of course they will pay you original price of the car no matter what you have put on.
If you buy for example 19'' wheels from market cheap still audi original, the original audi parts still will be more expensive or same or similar price range.
I think if you change parts but are still audi brand should be ok, otherwise government would ban aftermarket parts for selling and would make it illegal.
It is same for example with trend with LEDs bulbs everyone replacing them. And MOT will still pass.
Basically it is car owner decision and you are aware of it.
If you put that shiny exhaust then it will be better to tell them if it is expensive. If you put same exhaust no need to tell them.
People mostly put parts onto the cars which are still from Audi A3 series chassis .. So audi can confirm that these parts can be used for this type of model.

I think there’s a bit of confusion in what you are saying. Getting an aftermarket Oe quality parts like brake discs from brembo, trw, Bosch as opposed to an Audi branded disc is a lot different to getting a 10 pot caliper big brake conversion as you are modifying how the brake system work. Similar with light bulbs, fitting an osram or Phillips light bulb instead of Audi light bulb is way different compared to a xenon or led conversion as you are changing the way it works and it’s not been tested. LED bulbs are a mot failure if the tester know there’s stuff. The housing for a halogen/filament bulb is not designed for the way these bulbs emit light. LED/xenon’s are more directional compared to halogen/filament bulbs.
key thing is these part have not been rigorously tested and are classed as a modification.
for insurance they don’t/shouldn’t care about aftermarket OE parts but will care and charge you for proper aftermarket modification. Firstly it increase your risk factor as a driver as you might think you are a hero with big brakes or loud exhaust, secondly things like wheels and exhaust could make the car more desirable to thief’s.
hope that makes sense.

I think there’s a bit of confusion in what you are saying. Getting an aftermarket Oe quality parts like brake discs from brembo, trw, Bosch as opposed to an Audi branded disc is a lot different to getting a 10 pot caliper big brake conversion as you are modifying how the brake system work. Similar with light bulbs, fitting an osram or Phillips light bulb instead of Audi light bulb is way different compared to a xenon or led conversion as you are changing the way it works and it’s not been tested. LED bulbs are a mot failure if the tester know there’s stuff. The housing for a halogen/filament bulb is not designed for the way these bulbs emit light. LED/xenon’s are more directional compared to halogen/filament bulbs.
key thing is these part have not been rigorously tested and are classed as a modification.
for insurance they don’t/shouldn’t care about aftermarket OE parts but will care and charge you for proper aftermarket modification. Firstly it increase your risk factor as a driver as you might think you are a hero with big brakes or loud exhaust, secondly things like wheels and exhaust could make the car more desirable to thief’s.
hope that makes sense.
Still u have to declare it
Doesn't matter if brembo or pagid.. Or whatever
Don't think so led is mot failure my friend had mot test he has 20 years old car and he passed with led.
Still you will be in conflict with guy above.
Anything you change declare it according him.
No matter what brand.
Then the whole thing will loose the sense.

No you are wrong. Repairs using oem or non branded parts do not have to be declared. As long as they are to BS or CE standard the insurer won’t care.

An led side light will not fail an mot. If led used for main beam a different matter and it is a fail if the vehicle wasn’t originally fitted with it. Same applies to halogen etc. But some testers are stricter than others!

Reactions: AlS3BE
No you are wrong. Repairs using oem or non branded parts do not have to be declared. As long as they are to BS or CE standard the insurer won’t care.

An led side light will not fail an mot. If led used for main beam a different matter and it is a fail if the vehicle wasn’t originally fitted with it. Same applies to halogen etc. But some testers are stricter than others!
Strange so what is then saying guy above ? Am confused... Everyone putting original parts from audi. Or audi approved
I have S3 audi original audi wheels only, 19'' .
Which parts are then must be declared?

The wheels if that isn’t what the car came with. They will consider that a modification.

Reactions: AlS3BE
The wheels if that isn’t what the car came with. They will consider that a modification.
So then all parts are different doesn't matte rif oem or non oem or aftermarket parts, which didn't come with car will be considered a mod.
Only same parts with same part number must be replaced then, not any brembo brakes or HR coilovers or miltek exhauts etc ..
What everyone putting on cars here is mod.
I wonder how many % of owners declared .. NONE :D

I cannot believe this thread. When your car leaves the factory that is factory specification. You can service with OEM parts if you wish, or not. It makes no difference.
When you decide to alter that original specification by upgrading or adding in any way is when you need to declare things in the UK. It does not matter one bit if we agree with the rules or not, we have to abide by them if we wish to have a trouble free insurance record. If you choose to do otherwise it is your choice and at your risk.
Any chance of getting the thread back on track?

Colin

Reactions: AlS3BE, Garrett 69 and abmat
I cannot believe this thread. When your car leaves the factory that is factory specification. You can service with OEM parts if you wish, or not. It makes no difference.
When you decide to alter that original specification by upgrading or adding in any way is when you need to declare things in the UK. It does not matter one bit if we agree with the rules or not, we have to abide by them if we wish to have a trouble free insurance record. If you choose to do otherwise it is your choice and at your risk.
Any chance of getting the thread back on track?

Colin
Back on track, replacing engine? Are you serious after all what's been said it will be the biggest risks and hazard on the road and jail time for the OP or 10K service charge for official engine swap if declared.
Let's not be stupid and do things right acoording rules in this country.

Back on track, replacing engine? Are you serious after all what's been said it will be the biggest risks and hazard on the road and jail time for the OP or 10K service charge for official engine swap if declared.
Let's not be stupid and do things right acoording rules in this country.
I totally agree with you and would swap the car not the engine. Isn't that what the discussion was originally about and what I meant about getting the thread back on track.

Colin

I totally agree with you and would swap the car not the engine. Isn't that what the discussion was originally about and what I meant about getting the thread back on track.

Colin

Well, in reality is that, very little % of people declaring mods or changes. Let's just don't lie to ourselves and be honest.
If the MOT tester let my friend pass with LED lights it says it all ! All business ! all money ..
Or all those owners with new exhausts or EGR delete or DPF delete still passes MOT .. HOW ?
And I have such feelings, that there are people, who declares their mods (especially those loaded with money) and calling people stupid, who don't declare mods (espec. those who want to save the money) and are just reading and being quiet becuse are embarrassed to add or say anything.
And yes.
What I meant that, swapping biggest part on the car - engine is pointless BECUSE it would cost more than just buying used with bigger , stronger engine so there is
Engine cost : £2000 or £3000
Labour / Mechanic cost : don't know £1500 ?
Declaration cost : maybe £200 or £300 on top of the cost of insurance

Perhaps there is nothing else to add about putting thread back on track, this is what I meant.

Regards
Peto

Also consider, depending on the insurance company, they may refuse to insure the modified car whereas they would insure a car that came from factory with that same spec.

Also probably need to notify dvla as you have changed a 1.4 to 2.0 and the emissions are different. Might even end up with a q plate car which is worthless for resale

Also probably need to notify dvla as you have changed a 1.4 to 2.0 and the emissions are different. Might even end up with a q plate car which is worthless for resale
Q plate. Haven’t seen one of those for a long time!

normally reserved for vehicles whose origins can’t be identified I.e kit cars.

You'd still keep your original registration number but yes, the V5 will need to be changed and it would also change the VED bracket to a higher one, potentially trebling the amount of road tax to pay.

You'd only have a Q plate if you fitted the engine to a custom chassis, such as a kit car, where the vehicle has to be type approved.

Q plate. Haven’t seen one of those for a long time!

normally reserved for vehicles whose origins can’t be identified I.e kit cars.
if there’s enough cutting and shutting to get the engine in you might end up with q plate. Think if you lose the chassis number and not able to identify car. Not 100% sure what the rules are. Been a while since I’ve seen engine swaps. Remember the days the old mi16 engines in 205’s and vr6 engine in mk2 golfs was the norm

You'd still keep your original registration number but yes, the V5 will need to be changed and it would also change the VED bracket to a higher one, potentially trebling the amount of road tax to pay.

I think you will need to get it tested by vosa/dvla to see what it needs. Kind of like imported cars need that test, can’t remember what it’s called, before being allowed on the road. It’s like an extended MOT.