S 3 s tronic

Jason1987

Reaction score
So is the s tronic a dct the same as for example a bmw m4? Or is it not as good or fast? I know it automatically changes up a gear so isn’t fully manual but is it pretty much the same as an m4 dct?

@Jason1987 l actually think your better off going and test driving a S3 then you'll know if it's the right car for mate simple as that DCT/DSG/S-Tronic they all have there own characteristics....

I agree with jasssyo06 that it sounds like it would be worth a test drive. But, to directly answer your question, the S-Tronic gearbox is a DCT, so is able to change gears quickly and seamlessly, without any interruption in drive whilst accelerating up through the gears.

Reactions: Jassyo06
I agree with jasssyo06 that it sounds like it would be worth a test drive. But, to directly answer your question, the S-Tronic gearbox is a DCT, so is able to change gears quickly and seamlessly, without any interruption in drive whilst accelerating up through the gears.
It not a question on if I’d like it or not but just always thought a tronic was like an auto that lets you change gears but sounds like it is a dct which is quick. It’s just annoying that it still changes up when in dynamic mode, I’m sure this can be changed with a gearbox map? Also does it change up itself when it’s at optimum revs for speed or is it quicker to shift up manually?

In my experience if you let it rev out so it changes up itself, it is past its best. When I am giving it the full beans I put my foot down and let it drop a gear then change up using the paddle shift before it changes up. You can feel the power start to drop off towards the top of the rev range and that is when I change. It also offers a bit of mechanical sympathy to the engine!

In my experience if you let it rev out so it changes up itself, it is past its best. When I am giving it the full beans I put my foot down and let it drop a gear then change up using the paddle shift before it changes up. You can feel the power start to drop off towards the top of the rev range and that is when I change. It also offers a bit of mechanical sympathy to the engine!
That makes sense, I guess it’s basically changing up itself when it hits the limiter which is after you would normally change up for optimum power anyway.