S3 8Y S tronic in cold weather shifting

sheharyaar

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just wondering as the weather's getting colder are you noticing the gearbox getting abit lumpy on downshift I.e you notice the gear change more this is especially noticeable first thing in the morning after a cold start, it's nothing crazy but I can notice it now since the temperatures dropped, this is in D mode I don't use manual mode often, just wanted to check with you guys is it normal or is a trip to the dealer needed? My car is a 2020 S3 saloon 8y. Thanks guys

Last edited:
I’m sure mine felt a little slippy or revved higher than usual lately in D, maybe that’s normal when cold?

I’m sure mine felt a little slippy or revved higher than usual lately in D, maybe that’s normal when cold?
Mine does that first thing in the morning aswell since the cold temperatures not sure if it's normal though

How cold is it in there? I've had three DSG/S-Tronic cars now, and they all have done that especially when it's very cold, like -15 celcius. I think it's only natural the rotating parts are a bit viscous when they start to move in cold and get more agile after warming up. The higher revs may also relate to charger. Sometimes my cars kept revving quite high for quite long, I think it was for maintaining the battery level, especially when there were lots of only short runs with the car.

Reactions: sheharyaar
How cold is it in there? I've had three DSG/S-Tronic cars now, and they all have done that especially when it's very cold, like -15 celcius. I think it's only natural the rotating parts are a bit viscous when they start to move in cold and get more agile after warming up. The higher revs may also relate to charger. Sometimes my cars kept revving quite high for quite long, I think it was for maintaining the battery level, especially when there were lots of only short runs with the car.
It was around -3 to -5 last night so it's been quite cold recently, I had 2 ZF 8 speed cars before the s3 so wasn't sure if this is normal for the s tronic as they are both different style gearbox

Didn't the ZF boxes feel any different after cold starts to how they felt when it was warm? I've had manual cars before the DSGs, and they were definitely very stiff after cold stars, so I'm kind of used to that. The winters though were much colder back then, so whatever was outside was stiff if not completely frozen...

Didn't the ZF boxes feel any different after cold starts to how they felt when it was warm? I've had manual cars before the DSGs, and they were definitely very stiff after cold stars, so I'm kind of used to that. The winters though were much colder back then, so whatever was outside was stiff if not completely frozen...
Tbh mate the ZF was abit jerky all the time at low speed it was generally a sluggish gearbox so never really noticed a difference in cold, the s tronic is much faster and direct normally, I think the cold weather is defo affecting the s tronic I agree because once engine temp is warm feels normal again

Reactions: JKP
Sometimes in slow traffic the car feels like it’s fighting the foot brake and pushing forward on the brakes. Is this normal for autos?

At least with the S-tronic and DSG, when it's on even slight hill. My Golf Mk7.5 back then didn't do that as much, and few times it started to fall back during hill starts, as the brakes disengaged before the clutch got the car on hold. That was bad. A3 isn't doing that.

My handbrake got stuck frozen the other day last week. The car went totally bonkers, when one wheel wasn't rotating. Thank god it solved itself after I got it molten, but it took few starts before all the warning lights went off. That didn't happen a single time with my previous 8Y, but those brakes squeeled when it was cold or moist.