RS3 v Tesla 3 Performance

The main problem I personally have with EV's (all the green stuff to one side) is that they are silent and soul less.
I can certainly appreciate them for what they are along with the tech etc, but acceleration is only part of the driver experience for me.
That's why I got rid of the Merc A45s, the lack of sound just diluted what was otherwise a very capable drivers car - both handling and performance.
The sound is a major factor for me and the prospect of zero sound, if that's the way all cars go eventually is not something to look forward to.
Like it or not, this is the future of cars. My 13 year old will only know silent. I'm not sure the Tesla M3P is souless. It sounds like a tie-fighter on throttle. My kids love it. I think it has soul because Tesla dialed in the steering ratio to be absurdly quick making it a fun drive and its insanely fast. To be clear, we are talking a DD sports sedan and not a sports car and its more than capable for that purpose. If you grew up loving hot hatches, the M3P fits the bill particularly considering its cheap interior. I bought mine for $55k before numerous price increases and the price performance ratio was off the charts. The car is far from perfect however but I do think it should be in the discussion with the RS3.

Reactions: Mike.46 and 8YARWY
Like it or not, this is the future of cars. My 13 year old will only know silent. I'm not sure the Tesla M3P is souless. It sounds like a tie-fighter on throttle. My kids love it. I think it has soul because Tesla dialed in the steering ratio to be absurdly quick making it a fun drive and its insanely fast. To be clear, we are talking a DD sports sedan and not a sports car and its more than capable for that purpose. If you grew up loving hot hatches, the M3P fits the bill particularly considering its cheap interior. I bought mine for $55k before numerous price increases and the price performance ratio was off the charts. The car is far from perfect however but I do think it should be in the discussion with the RS3.

I did like the M3P I test drove (twice).

Yes there where things that bugged me about it, but no more than things that bug me about the 8Y RS3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do get the attraction and in its own right its a very capable car as you say. I'm not sure it sounds like a tie fighter though lol.
The looks do bug me with the Tesla model 3 though, they are just so generic and with more on the roads all looking identical they are starting to be very common.
If you want to be a traffic light hero then a Tesla or EV will meet that criteria but I would sooner have a slower car which makes a terrific sound.
I'm a petrol head through and through so yeah I am a fossil ha ha :)

• Haha
Reactions: Terminator x and 8YARWY
Like it or not, this is the future of cars. My 13 year old will only know silent. I'm not sure the Tesla M3P is souless. It sounds like a tie-fighter on throttle.
If someone offered me a swap for an Audi E tron GT (RS would be even nicer) I would drop the RS3 like a Hot Potato, no question about it.

I was stood on the side of a large roundabout (tinkering with old 2 stroke Motorcycle) either an E tron GT RS, or a Porsche Taycan (It actually happened twice) came off the Motorway, caught me looking at him and floored it around said roundabout, ZZZzzzooooooop.........gone, very impressive :)
Quite a nice noise as well tbh

I do get the attraction and in its own right its a very capable car as you say. I'm not sure it sounds like a tie fighter though lol.
The looks do bug me with the Tesla model 3 though, they are just so generic and with more on the roads all looking identical they are starting to be very common.
If you want to be a traffic light hero then a Tesla or EV will meet that criteria but I would sooner have a slower car which makes a terrific sound.
But, they also do the same thing in moving traffic, like after the 56mph truck pulls back out of the way on a dual carraigeway, on something like a track day the RS3 would be in with a good chance, on the roads with 42mph traffic and the Motorway/dual carraigeway example it will just destory an RS3 :(

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
But, they also do the same thing in moving traffic, like after the 56mph truck pulls back out of the way on a dual carraigeway, on something like a track day the RS3 would be in with a good chance, on the roads with 42mph traffic and the Motorway/dual carraigeway example it will just destory an RS3 :(
Agreed, rolling starts at 30-40 mph and the Tesla has a huge advantage until about 100MPH. Then things start to fall off.

I agree that the sound is part of the experience. Not unlike a home theater. The sound makes the theater not the screen. The RS3 sound can't be matched by a Tesla or most ICEs. It's glorious.

I agree that the sound is part of the experience. Not unlike a home theater. The sound makes the theater not the screen. The RS3 sound can't be matched by a Tesla or most ICEs. It's glorious.
But not in the UK untill you buy the ASR exhaust valve controller :)

Reactions: Southall87 and Daggerit
I may have said this before ;) but some of us don't care. It could be as fast as a rocket ship to 60 or 100 and I still would not be interested.

Chap that I know though has just placed a UK order for a Plaid so I will certainly get out in it for a ride when it eventually arrives.

TX.

Agreed, rolling starts at 30-40 mph and the Tesla has a huge advantage until about 100MPH. Then things start to fall off.
I also felt that on my demo drive, I feel they are 'managing' the battery for maximum effect, there is only so much you can take out for so long before the batteries start to get too hot, I eased off to around 70mph for a while and then floored it again from there, it certainly went better after the 'cool off' period

I may have said this before ;) but some of us don't care. It could be as fast as a rocket ship to 60 or 100 and I still would not be interested.

Chap that I know though has just placed a UK order for a Plaid so I will certainly get out in it for a ride when it eventually arrives.

TX.
I think it's a hard balance to strike looking forward, I wish it would stay as it was a couple of years back..................................

I also felt that on my demo drive, I feel they are 'managing' the battery for maximum effect, there is only so much you can take out for so long before the batteries start to get too hot, I eased off to around 70mph for a while and then floored it again from there, it certainly went better after the 'cool off' period

But would you drive the RS3 in the same manner ?
It’s like anything once the novelty has worn off you’d drive it normally with just the odd squirt when required.

Reactions: Terminator x

TX.
You did, and it's a fair point. Like it or not, you'll be driving an EV someday my friend.

@clerkp nope never.

TX.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
There used to be a NZ guy on a MV Agusta forum, if you mentioned any other bike, like a Yamaha he would go completely nuts once saying ''I would rather eat sh*t and walk than ride anything except an MV''

But would you drive the RS3 in the same manner ?
It’s like anything once the novelty has worn off you’d drive it normally with just the odd squirt when required.

No, but only because you'd look like a pr*ck doing it, you'd be in 3rd gear waiting for the truck to move, whereas in the M3P you would just be cruising all quiet incogneto like, thinking 'here's one of those RS3's making a lot of noise and looking for a fight, should I quietly floor it and make him look like a pr*ck? or move over and also make him look like a pr*ck when he shoots off'

I just dont think you can win either way :)

There used to be a NZ guy on a MV Agusta forum, if you mentioned any other bike, like a Yamaha he would go completely nuts once saying ''I would rather eat sh*t and walk than ride anything except an MV''

Was he called John per chance ?

And I am entitled to me neg opinion of EV as much as the fanboys are.

TX.

Reactions: Jcbmally, Mike.46, Snake Pliskin and 1 other person
Tesla cars are an acquired taste full stop the most ungainly looking cars I've ever seen and their interiors at their price point are no better than a Vauxhall insignia Tesla paint colours, wheels just bland bland........and the majority of the drivers in them think they're driving the De lorean from Back to the future. Most on UK roads are company cars that says it all

Reactions: FBF01, Terminator x, Mike.46 and 2 others
And I am entitled to me neg opinion of EV as much as the fanboys are.

TX.
Yes of course you are, everyone is :)
I feel similar in the fact that just as ICE technology seems to coming to a peak with diesels that will do huge mpg as will our RS3 if driven 'economically' (I have seen low to mid 40mpg on a decent run) as well as decent hp figures with some still in reserve for the tuners we are going to chuck the lot in a bin.
I've messed with ICE since I was about 12, repairing Suffolk Colt lawnmowers to engineering Porsche Cup/GT race cars.
I'm not an EV fan boy, I wish they would all go away, but there not going to and we are going to have accept them in some form or walk :(
Mercedes have a new C63S hybrid, 2 litre out of A45S with F1 battery tech, only 8 mile range and fast charging, close to 700hp, is that acceptable to a petrol head? d'no
Times are changing though I even these days go 'off on one' when I see the local builders Astra van with clouds of diesel smoke and obviously a 'bent' MOT

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and Jassyo06
Yes of course you are, everyone is :)
I feel similar in the fact that just as ICE technology seems to coming to a peak with diesels that will do huge mpg as will our RS3 if driven 'economically' (I have seen low to mid 40mpg on a decent run) as well as decent hp figures with some still in reserve for the tuners we are going to chuck the lot in a bin.
I've messed with ICE since I was about 12, repairing Suffolk Colt lawnmowers to engineering Porsche Cup/GT race cars.
I'm not an EV fan boy, I wish they would all go away, but there not going to and we are going to have accept them in some form or walk :(
Mercedes have a new C63S hybrid, 2 litre out of A45S with F1 battery tech, only 8 mile range and fast charging, close to 700hp, is that acceptable to a petrol head? d'no
Times are changing though I even these days go 'off on one' when I see the local builders Astra van with clouds of diesel smoke and obviously a 'bent' MOT

No one is considering the development of synthetic fuels and how this could seriously be a game changer though.
The only down side is that most car manufacturers are starting to phase out ICE cars so synth fuels may only benefit cars already on the road by the time it reaches the pumps.

Reactions: Mike.46, Jcbmally, Jassyo06 and 1 other person
I think Enterprise value (EV) is important and it is a measure of a company's total value, often used as a more comprehensive alternative to equity market capitalisation,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, oh crap wrong forum

• Haha
Reactions: Jassyo06 and Snake Pliskin
I think Enterprise value (EV) is important and it is a measure of a company's total value, often used as a more comprehensive alternative to equity market capitalisation,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, oh crap wrong forum

You must mean “embedded” value

• Haha
Reactions: Jcbmally and Jassyo06
No one is considering the development of synthetic fuels and how this could seriously be a game changer though.
The only down side is that most car manufacturers are starting to phase out ICE cars so synth fuels may only benefit cars already on the road by the time it reaches the pumps.

Isn't that the direction F1 is supposd to be going?

Isn't that the direction F1 is supposd to be going?
yes they are actively committed to developing it over the next few years.
with F1 might behind it you would imagine it will happen.

Can you imagine the energy companies losing control over us because someone's invented a new petrol!
I think the reality is that the Oil Companies will not allow 'fuels' to just slip away and be phased out.
There is far too much money within this Industry for that to happen.
I would say there is a high degree of likelihood that synth fuels WILL be developed successfully.
The only downside as previously noted is if car companies actively drop ICE cars in favour of EV's so it will limit our choices for 'new' cars still.

Reactions: NevMan and Jcbmally
I think Europe and surrounding countries efforts to go all pink bunny is in vain When China,Russia and the USA are not committed fully especially China and Russia.....and most of all them big Burdz in the Sky who cause more pollution than any car.....Mercedes new AMG C63 s on paper looks amazing 700 bhp and a proper hybrid all from the A45s engine plus a battery but weighs over 2 tonnes but sadly will cost a fortune .... battery vehicles are not worth buying at the moment wait till the old batteries start piling up.....what cost will come at.... to get rid of them

Reactions: NevMan, RS03???, Jcbmally and 1 other person
I think Europe and surrounding countries efforts to go all pink bunny is in vain When China,Russia and the USA are not committed fully especially China and Russia.....and most of all them big Burdz in the Sky who cause more pollution than any car.....Mercedes new AMG C63 s on paper looks amazing 700 bhp and a proper hybrid all from the A45s engine plus a battery but weighs over 2 tonnes but sadly will cost a fortune .... battery vehicles are not worth buying at the moment wait till the old batteries start piling up.....what cost will come at.... to get rid of them
totally and completely agree.

Reactions: NevMan, RS03???, Jassyo06 and 1 other person
More so the UK, did I read that we are responsible for 1% of the emissions?

Cars/Buses/Lories are targeted as they are 'low hanging fruit' compared to other polluters

Reactions: NevMan, RS03???, Jcbmally and 2 others
Tesla is in another league in this weather. The traction control is mega as is the pre heating/speed at which is warms up.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin, Mike.46 and Daggerit
Can the Mods move this to EV section :whistle2:

TX.

• Haha
Reactions: garethdj, Snake Pliskin and 8YARWY
Tesla is in another league in this weather. The traction control is mega as is the pre heating/speed at which is warms up.

I have to very reluctantly agree !
Wife is gloating atm her car is nice & toasty after pre-heating and ready to drive off immediately.
I sent her the photo of my windscreen this evening fully iced up and taking an age to clear.

I have to very reluctantly agree !
Wife is gloating atm her car is nice & toasty after pre-heating and ready to drive off immediately.
I sent her the photo of my windscreen this evening fully iced up and taking an age to clear.

oh dear.

• Haha