Potentially terminal? Low Oil Pressure? 1.8 TFSI 2011

BrokenA3guy

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Have extensively tried researching the issue as much as possible but guess I want the thoughts of others before I sell the damn thing.

Purchased a 2011 A3 8P 1.8 TFSI about 6 months ago. Mileage is 66,000. Part service history.

when I bought it the sump was badly rusted and I got this changed under the 3 month warranty from the garage. Car had a service at the same time. Other than this the local trusted mechanics (family friends) didn’t find anything else wrong with it.

Drove perfectly with no issues for several months, I was loving it. it was using a lot of oil though. Must have been 1L/1,000km.

Then, one night I get the red oil pressure light. Pull over immediately and checked oil levels (nearly full). So I get the car towed to a mechanics. (Not my local one as I’ve moved away from that area).

They spend a while on it, and go through Audi’s guide of procedures of what to do in this situation. It was showing very low pressure on the guage, barely above the thresholds audi specify, so not a sensor issue.

I’m told the pick up pipe was fine but was cleaned anyway, obviously no sludge in the new sump, no leaks to note, etc etc. we tried a new pump and control valve, and the pressure barely increased, still bleeps intermittently if driven, particularity at lower revs.

At this point the mechanic tells me there isn’t much more he can do without taking the engine to bits, and believes a possible engine top end re-build is required. (Not cheap) Said he has seen these engine have terrible issues with oil control rings etc.

he thickened the oil to the point it got me home (10 miles) without bleeping, and suggested getting it p/x’d or sold to one of the quick sale for cash type places. Obviously don’t sell privately and screw over someone else like I got done!

i know nobody can be certain of anything, but just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the situation?

Seems such a shame to get rid but I guess if I can’t afford the repair it might be the only way to come out of it not completely broke.

Thank you for reading!