RS3 DAZA oil consumption

Vagfan

Reaction score
Hi guys,

This afternoon i filled the RS3 with some extra oil. No warning lights, just taking care of the car. What i have read here and there is that RS3 engines, and DAZA in particular (?) likes to take some of the black gold. I have driven 3000 miles / 5000KM and have used half a litre / 500ML or in english metrics about a half quart. Turbo engines use some oil, my former Cupra 280 did a half quart on 6500 miles/ 10000km. Dutch dealers are using 0W30 Shell Helix Ultra Professional AV-L 504/507, special VAG approved engine oil. So maybe the oil usage is coming from the '0W' part because it's very thin ? I am not worried, but half a quart on 3000miles is maybe a little high ? Car has only 15000 miles on it. No leaks, blue smoke etcetera.
How's your average consumption ?

Very little gets used only topped up a couple of times by minuscule amounts as I like to keep it pinned on the max line. I think as with most VAG cars the official line is up to 1l per 1000 miles is fine :tearsofjoy:

Dutch dealers are using 0W30 Shell Helix Ultra Professional AV-L 504/507, special VAG approved engine oil.
UK dealers have gone the other way and gone to 5W40. Had mine done few weeks ago. Was previously 5W30 but as these engines run hot 5W40 makes sense to me.

They did however put the wrong spec oil in, right viscosity, wrong spec, which is why I queried the oil and they showed me 5W40 on ELSA. Not bothered as it will be out in a few months when I change it for something decent. Will still go 5W40 though

To me 0W30 does not make sense on these engines. Did they give a reason for the change?

Honestly near zero oil consumption on mine.

Check it every 4 weeks and never had to top up between services in over 2 years of owning .

Have heard its not uncommon for DAZA units to use a little oil though

0w30, is that a little to thin?

Try 5w30, see if improves, do a flush of course.

Netherlands weather isnt much different from uk, so I can't imagine its climate related.

Shell Helix isn't imho of a quality for these engines, but maybe its there top shelf type.

5w-30 Castrol edge / Millers Nano drive I used to use every 5K.

Interestingly, my Daza engined car liked a top up regular, until it hit around 10k miles then it just seemed to settle down with less top up required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: NHN
I was going to say the same as T-1000. The first 3-4k used a bit of oil, now just needs checking with no top up.

The change from 5W30 >> 0W30 has it's origin in Germany for the Dutch market. There's no reason given.

I understand that it's variable if the DAZA engine uses more or less oil. It even can change on the oilbrand. In the UK 5W30 is the standard, which is thicker when cold and theoratically will use less oil because i have noticed that the oil use accelerated when the temps got down. The first 3 months of use (bought the car in july 2021), 2500km there was maybe 100ML. The next 2500km this has doubled to 500ml.

In the UK 5W30 is the standard,
In the UK 5W30 WAS the standard but now Audi UK have changed it to 5W40. Several tuners are also recommending 5W40 now.

Mine at 28k does not use any oil on 5W40 but did not use any previously on 5W30 either. Don't know what it did when it was new as I did not have it then. Original owners went with Audi's stupid 2-year interval so I don't think they knew or cared what it used over First 2 years

Called 3 different Audi dealers. All use 0W30 for the most Audi engines, not only the RS ones. But 5W30 is allowed when the oil has the 504/507 standard. So we can conclude it's different over countries...Very strange because UK weather is largely the same with NL.