Pumped in sound - initial experiments

RSt3ve

Reaction score
I decided to carry out a bit of an experiment today to pinpoint the effects of the Engine Sound setting in Drive Select.

In RS Individual Mode I drove under a varying amount of loads, revs and speeds while the wife switched 'Engine Sound' between 'Subdued' and 'Enhanced'.
The results are pleasing if I'm honest and I'm happy to say there's much more natural noise going on than I expected, especially the exhaust.

To summarise:

Up to 4k rpm: Exhaust note does not change in either mode at all. Pops, burbles and note unaffected.

Over 4k rpm: Engine sound is enhanced maybe 50% as exhaust load tails off in 'Enhanced' and still sounds good in 'Subdued'.

Unless there is base level sound pump I'm going to stick my neck on the line and say exhaust note is 100% organic while Engine Sound is slightly lifted. Certainly not to the point of it sounding ridiculous though.

Your experience may vary, but it is in no way fake, just amplified to sound better in the 21st century insulated interior.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin, Mastachaz, HulkRS3 and 4 others
well , I drive rs3 for 2h and tbh i dont care from where sound it's coming compare to my s3 its sound 1000 times better :D

Reactions: 3vans, RSt3ve and Detail Devil
I decided to carry out a bit of an experiment today to pinpoint the effects of the Engine Sound setting in Drive Select.

In RS Individual Mode I drove under a varying amount of loads, revs and speeds while the wife switched 'Engine Sound' between 'Subdued' and 'Enhanced'.
The results are pleasing if I'm honest and I'm happy to say there's much more natural noise going on than I expected, especially the exhaust.

To summarise:

Up to 4k rpm: Exhaust note does not change in either mode at all. Pops, burbles and note unaffected.

Over 4k rpm: Engine sound is enhanced maybe 50% as exhaust load tails off in 'Enhanced' and still sounds good in 'Subdued'.

Unless there is base level sound pump I'm going to stick my neck on the line and say exhaust note is 100% organic while Engine Sound is slightly lifted. Certainly not to the point of it sounding ridiculous though.

Your experience may vary, but it is in no way fake, just amplified to sound better in the 21st century insulated interior.
I agree with your findings - done a few tests earlier and reached the same conclusion. 95% of the noise I hear comes from the back end of the car and you can tell it's completely organic. Especially that beautiful noise it makes on the upshifts lol

Reactions: kayemill, Snake Pliskin, RS03??? and 4 others
I agree with your findings - done a few tests earlier and reached the same conclusion. 95% of the noise I hear comes from the back end of the car and you can tell it's completely organic. Especially that beautiful noise it makes on the upshifts lol
great to heard that ha :D

Agree, lot more pronounced (pleasantly), to my OPF 8V previously during the demo drive.

Agree, lot more pronounced (pleasantly), to my OPF 8V previously during the demo drive.
That's how i felt it sounded when i test drove it, sounds very loud from the rear of the car, totally different noise my Daza car.

Reactions: kayemill and RS03???

To summarise:

Regarding that does that mean this new car still farts on upshifts and does the burbles on downshifts I've heard mixed things that some of the usual sounds have been removed?

Regarding that does that mean this new car still farts on upshifts and does the burbles on downshifts I've heard mixed things that some of the usual sounds have been removed?
Mine has less than 150 miles on it at the moment and so far not heard any startup burbles from it although have heard them in videos. It definitely does a very nice sound on the upshift but sadly no burbles on the downshifts, at least not yet. It could’ve been doing with a very faint overrun map when you come off the throttle from factory. Nothing major just nice and suttle.

Reactions: Sibz156
Mine has less than 150 miles on it at the moment and so far not heard any startup burbles from it although have heard them in videos. It definitely does a very nice sound on the upshift but sadly no burbles on the downshifts, at least not yet. It could’ve been doing with a very faint overrun map when you come off the throttle from factory. Nothing major just nice and suttle.
The Carbon Blacks come with the sports exhaust so I'm told then all assuming our cars will sound the same the way it sound on youtube video's seems different depending on where the video is made EG:

in this video sounds like it has some burbles

but again everyone is in agreement until you hear it in person you cant really gauge the sound well unless you are the lucky few who have their car such as yourself how you finding it the noise better than expected or no different to previous gens?

The Carbon Blacks come with the sports exhaust so I'm told then all assuming our cars will sound the same the way it sound on youtube video's seems different depending on where the video is made EG:

in this video sounds like it has some burbles

but again everyone is in agreement until you hear it in person you cant really gauge the sound well unless you are the lucky few who have their car such as yourself how you finding it the noise better than expected or no different to previous gens?

Overall it's quieter than previous gens which is to be expected given it's got the opf but on a cold star it is very loud - similar level to pre-opf models. It has a lot of potential and it's much louder in person than I was expecting.

Reactions: Sibz156
Overall it's quieter than previous gens which is to be expected given it's got the opf but on a cold star it is very loud - similar level to pre-opf models. It has a lot of potential and it's much louder in person than I was expecting.
On cold start they need to fire the cats up within a specified time, so, exhaust cam timing and ignition timing are retarded as far as possible to send flames amd extra heat towards cats

Reactions: 8YARWY
On cold start they need to fire the cats up within a specified time, so, exhaust cam timing and ignition timing are retarded as far as possible to send flames amd extra heat towards cats

Thankfully they tweaked that horrendous bag o nails Cat heating….. never known such a terrible sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Adi7r
On throttle lift off it makes a nice flutter/burble sound.
Upshift is one nice big pop/bang.
Free revving in N can produce a nice single pop but not found a consistent method yet (better when hot).
Lift off then reapply throttle also produces a muted pop.
700 miles in so far so not hit the high notes yet and there's some bedding in of the exhaust still yet. Certainly not as quiet as OPF cars though.

Reactions: Adi7r, Sibz156, RS03??? and 1 other person