Brakes feel odd

Wack0jack0

Reaction score
Is anyone else out there disappointed with the breaks or actually thinking there is something wrong?
I have no previous experience of rs3’s but have a carbon edition standard non ceramics but am finding the breaks pretty poor. It’s almost like a feeling of I push and they aren’t biting very hard, the pedal feels shallow and dead, no progression the harder I press!
Just me?

Funnily enough mines started making that low speed ‘hum’ going from forwards to reverse and vice versa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On an rs3, they need 500-1k imho, what was your last car, brake setup?

Reactions: 8YARWY
My previous 8V with new Reylands / DBA pads was a classic example of bedding in.

I fitted them and after 500 miles was beginning to doubt the quality of the pads, they just didn’t haul the car up quickly enough or have a great pedal feel.

Persevered until over 1k miles on the setup , the difference was staggering, they were miles better than the DS2500 they replaced.

22863eac192cc61573b5b6368e046a81.jpg

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Wack0jack0
Funnily enough mines started making that low speed ‘hum’ going from forwards to reverse and vice versa

Mine does that, but only when I reverse onto the drive on the turn.

As for performance. Only stood on them maybe 10 times, but nearing 1000 miles they really started to bite. Can't fault them at all.

One brake related thing I have noticed compared to my Golf R,
If I was going along in adaptive cruise and needed to brake (adaptive cruise can sometimes leave braking a little late especially down hill) with the Golf it felt like I was adding to the brake pressure already there so a delicate foot was required whereas in the RS3 the ‘foot’ pressure appears normal

As for performance. Only stood on them maybe 10 times, but nearing 1000 miles they really started to bite. Can't fault them at all.

Servo is totally different now on the 8Y.

I did post a PDF on it a while back.

You can feel it working differently when just pressing the P button, and having your foot on the pedal, it’s increasing the pressure to help the rear EPB.

Reactions: Wack0jack0
I took it pretty easy during the running in so didn’t really notice the brakes as being an issue.

Now over 2k and they are great.

Initial bite isn’t too grabby so it’s easy to modulate braking during normal driving/traffic.

But it piles on the performance as you press harder so I find them pretty good and haven’t felt them lacking yet.

I have had some squeal at low speed on a few occasions though… normally coming up to a junction or in traffic.

my ceramic are very noisy , i didint drive car for week and they weird noise

my ceramic are very noisy , i didint drive car for week and they weird noise

They aren’t the be all and end all, ceramics can actually be worse for noise than regular steel discs.

I have noticed the ‘hum’ sound with mine too, especially when creeping forwards.

Did this sound stop when you had more miles on the car? - only have 500 miles on mine so far

Cheers

Reactions: RSt3ve
My ceramics make the hum sound which feels like it resonates through the car - however this is only when reversing with the wheels near lock, otherwise they have been perfectly silent and performing well in just over 1200 miles so far.

Reactions: Terminator x
I have noticed the ‘hum’ sound with mine too, especially when creeping forwards.

Did this sound stop when you had more miles on the car? - only have 500 miles on mine so far

Cheers

Mine still makes the noise in reverse. Only now and again though.

Green eyed monster :tearsofjoy:

TX.

Lol nah mate, don’t feel the need to have them for road use.

Can buy a nice after market set up if so desired for a fraction of the cost.

Cheers
I'm up to 2.5k miles now, not heard the noise at all in the past few weeks, it was still present around 2k miles occasionally but has definitely been diminishing over time. When new it was every day.