Odd behaviour?

Barmybobuk

Reaction score
On ALL my previous Audis there have been a few constants, but it seems Audi have decided to move away from these constants and code features differently on the A3/RS3 8Y series.

• Lane Keep Assist. On all other Audi's I've owned or used this feature had last position save. I do find this feature useful but not all the time. In certain circumstances it can actually be unsafe to be on and I think Audi recognise this, by allowing you to turn it off. But a default setting to on, every time I start the car is frustrating. (Thank you to those that have assisted the community in providing a solution for altering this behaviour).

• On ALL other Audis setting cruise control would have the Auto gearbox put the car into the highest gear, no matter which drive select setting the car was in. But this is not the case on the RS3. If I enter a village and set the cruise control to the speed limit, to ensure I don't speed, my RS3 doesn't shift up in ALL modes. If you are approaching a village and downshift into second gear on approach, and then select the cruise to keep the speed set, the car will hold onto that lower gear and never shift up! This is just bonkers, why would anyone wish to have the car hold a lower gear with the cruise control set?
It seems odd that Audi should have altered the behaviour of these established features. I think that Audi had the configuration of these features correct in their range and can't think why they would seek change them in this car. It is especially odd with the cruise control. I can't see how holding a car in a lower gear has any benefits. The environment, fuel consumption and sound emission are all worse. And it is likely that most restricted speed zones are in built up areas too which makes it all worse!

On ALL my previous Audis there have been a few constants, but it seems Audi have decided to move away from these constants and code features differently on the A3/RS3 8Y series.

• Lane Keep Assist. On all other Audi's I've owned or used this feature had last position save. I do find this feature useful but not all the time. In certain circumstances it can actually be unsafe to be on and I think Audi recognise this, by allowing you to turn it off. But a default setting to on, every time I start the car is frustrating. (Thank you to those that have assisted the community in providing a solution for altering this behaviour).

• On ALL other Audis setting cruise control would have the Auto gearbox put the car into the highest gear, no matter which drive select setting the car was in. But this is not the case on the RS3. If I enter a village and set the cruise control to the speed limit, to ensure I don't speed, my RS3 doesn't shift up in ALL modes. If you are approaching a village and downshift into second gear on approach, and then select the cruise to keep the speed set, the car will hold onto that lower gear and never shift up! This is just bonkers, why would anyone wish to have the car hold a lower gear with the cruise control set?
It seems odd that Audi should have altered the behaviour of these established features. I think that Audi had the configuration of these features correct in their range and can't think why they would seek change them in this car. It is especially odd with the cruise control. I can't see how holding a car in a lower gear has any benefits. The environment, fuel consumption and sound emission are all worse. And it is likely that most restricted speed zones are in built up areas too which makes it all worse!
For your first point, this is due to safety legislation and all new cars are set up like this so it's not something that Audi have decided to do.

For the second point, as long as you're not in manual the car will select the highest gear possible in all non-sporty modes. If you're in manual or S on the gearbox then it won't.

Reactions: Dan_DJT, Sandra, V6_Man and 1 other person