1.8t Throttle Body

Michael Hall

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have a Audi A3 8P 1.8t (08) and have a little lump idle on the car. I have recently changed the MAF sensor which has improved it a lot and also the PCV which hasn't done anything at all unfortunately.

I have come here today to seek advice on how to clean my Throttle Body? Hoping someone can give me a step by step with photos in hope to cleaning it can solve the problem I am having.

Hope to hear from someone soon, thanks.

Hi Michael,
sorry I don't have an answer for you but I wanted to chime in with my experience just FYI for you as well as other readers.

My throttle body died at 193K km, car was 14 years old. It basically put my car into a "limp" mode - no turbo. I think it took longer to start, idle was ok but without the turbo the car was sooooo slow and such pain to drive :-(
My mechanic decided it was time for a new one (not sure if cleaning was an option) but I remember it was a pain to get to it, very little access between the throttle body and the front fans, yet very low to reach. Also, it was quite expensive, I believe the part might have been around US$500-700.

Hope someone will have an answer here for you, I am definitely interested to know.
Good luck !

Reactions: Michael Hall
Hi Michael,
sorry I don't have an answer for you but I wanted to chime in with my experience just FYI for you as well as other readers.

My throttle body died at 193K km, car was 14 years old. It basically put my car into a "limp" mode - no turbo. I think it took longer to start, idle was ok but without the turbo the car was sooooo slow and such pain to drive :-(
My mechanic decided it was time for a new one (not sure if cleaning was an option) but I remember it was a pain to get to it, very little access between the throttle body and the front fans, yet very low to reach. Also, it was quite expensive, I believe the part might have been around US$500-700.

Hope someone will have an answer here for you, I am definitely interested to know.
Good luck !
Hello,

Luckily my turbo is fine and car does drive fine. I do think the throttle body is fine also, just wouldn't mind knowing on how to clean it out.

Hopefully someone out there sees this and knows what to do.

Cheers.

After a bit of research, I have finally found something but on a 2010 VW Golf GTI which looks exactly the same as mine -

Would I need to change the gasket? If so, can someone please tell me the part number to the correct gasket?

Thanks.

Attachments

• 20220502_115155.jpg
    20220502_115155.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 55