New RS3 - Now stolen!

Dav33d

Reaction score
Morning All,

Registered a while a go with the intent of posting my thoughts about the RS3 I just bought 2018 Ara Blue and saying Hi… for one reason or another never got to round to it. Probably enjoying the RS so much, compared to my previous cars Mini JCW, M3 (F80 and e92), RS4 and m135i It ticked so many box’s, probably the best box it ticked was the 2.5L litre giving the car soul.

Unfortunately the car was stolen last week from just outside of Birmingham, guys broke into the house for keys. We recently moved in and were told the locks were bump proof … they werent on the back door! Worst still the cars been recovered, all of the glove box has been ripped out and the boot trim ripped out. The idiots drove it into my wall on the way out as well and they curbed the alloys. They had the car for around two hours before it was recovered, which was more by luck than anything else… it has a valve controller and someone heard it being parked up and four guys getting out and they reported it…

So reason for the thread … I’m getting the car back and I’m currently undecided on what to do. I wont change the type of car I own because of the theft but my decision is whether to keep the RS3.. it was recovered without keys (i dont know what damage this does to the drivetrain?) the exterior damage doesn’t look too bad and easily fixable. The interior is pretty messed up, i think they thought the valve controller was a tracker! But ultimately unless there’s any obvious mechanical damage it’s easily repairable, but I’m not sure i want it back a) it’s been nicked and it doesn’t feel the same and b) i dont know what they did to it i.e. multiple back to back launches etc. So what would you guys do? I’m fairly certain i may just walk down to WBAC and get rid once it’s repaired.

Cheers and sorry for the long wafting post!

Try to get it marked as a write off? I wouldn't want it back, ragged to death no doubt.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jcbmally
Morning All,

Registered a while a go with the intent of posting my thoughts about the RS3 I just bought 2018 Ara Blue and saying Hi… for one reason or another never got to round to it. Probably enjoying the RS so much, compared to my previous cars Mini JCW, M3 (F80 and e92), RS4 and m135i It ticked so many box’s, probably the best box it ticked was the 2.5L litre giving the car soul.

Unfortunately the car was stolen last week from just outside of Birmingham, guys broke into the house for keys. We recently moved in and were told the locks were bump proof … they werent on the back door! Worst still the cars been recovered, all of the glove box has been ripped out and the boot trim ripped out. The idiots drove it into my wall on the way out as well and they curbed the alloys. They had the car for around two hours before it was recovered, which was more by luck than anything else… it has a valve controller and someone heard it being parked up and four guys getting out and they reported it…

So reason for the thread … I’m getting the car back and I’m currently undecided on what to do. I wont change the type of car I own because of the theft but my decision is whether to keep the RS3.. it was recovered without keys (i dont know what damage this does to the drivetrain?) the exterior damage doesn’t look too bad and easily fixable. The interior is pretty messed up, i think they thought the valve controller was a tracker! But ultimately unless there’s any obvious mechanical damage it’s easily repairable, but I’m not sure i want it back a) it’s been nicked and it doesn’t feel the same and b) i dont know what they did to it i.e. multiple back to back launches etc. So what would you guys do? I’m fairly certain i may just walk down to WBAC and get rid once it’s repaired.

My Dad had the same happen in the 90's with a Sierra XR4x4 where he got it back but it never felt the same. He said it didn't feel like his car after that so he ended up getting rid of it. The sort of people who target cars really are scum.

Reactions: Terminator x
So what if someone stole it? So what if it was damaged? I don’t get this idea that you should get rid of it because of that. If it is checked and everything is fine and can be repaired then so what?

It is your car - assuming insurance fixes it - then keep it. Consider the fact that a replacement car would be more expensive due to the shortages and delays.

^^ Wtf ragged to death and smashed off every kerb going. Fair play if you'd be ok with that.

TX.

Reactions: FBF01 and Jcbmally
So what if someone stole it? So what if it was damaged? I don’t get this idea that you should get rid of it because of that. If it is checked and everything is fine and can be repaired then so what?

It is your car - assuming insurance fixes it - then keep it. Consider the fact that a replacement car would be more expensive due to the shortages and delays.
I don't think it's to do with money or repairs, it's more to do with the emotional side of someone stealing what's special to you. Yes it can be fixed but from an emotional view point, sometimes that's not enough. Either way I hope the OP makes the right decision for how he feels in what's a pretty crappy situation.

Reactions: NWHighlander, Terminator x, Dav33d and 1 other person

This is my main issue and I agree to a certain extent, but it’s a lack of confidence in the people insurers use to check vehicles that’s my issue.

You’re right it would cost a lot more, nothing spec’d like mine for money and not a fat lot on the market. (I don’t want an OPF).

As for 8Y models I can’t find any deals due to the market.

^^ Wtf ragged to death and smashed off every kerb going. Fair play if you'd be ok with that.

TX.
^^ And this is what the other side of me says

I love the car and want to keep it but these guys weren’t pros. Drinks bottles, packets of fags everywhere no gloves etc. Just bellends. So as Spinstorm said, it can be fixed but is it going to have problems six months down the line due to it being driven like ****.

I don't think it's to do with money or repairs, it's more to do with the emotional side of someone stealing what's special to you. Yes it can be fixed but from an emotional view point, sometimes that's not enough. Either way I hope the OP makes the right decision for how he feels in what's a pretty crappy situation.

it is an emotive and financial decision, but you’re right in that it’s “tarnished” the car. Financially I think I’m looking at £5k loss on mine and then needing an extra £5k to get something equivalent spec.

It is a crappy situation!

Reactions: Deleted member 160894
it is an emotive and financial decision, but you’re right in that it’s “tarnished” the car. Financially I think I’m looking at £5k loss on mine and then needing an extra £5k to get something equivalent spec.

It is a crappy situation!
Which with all due respect is totally a waste of money. If it is fixed and repaired, you're throwing away £10k because you're sad someone else has driven it.

If anything you should be thinking that they can't hurt you because you had it repaired and it is just as amazing as before.

No argument could convince me that selling it is worth it, and if you want to waste £10k go on an amazing holiday or buy an amazing home cinema system, or the latest most powerful Apple products but don't lose it on a car that you can have repaired. It is honestly just STUPID. And sure have a go at me for saying that but it is and the dealer will love you - give them a repaired as new car which they will sell for more than the replacement you buy!

Reactions: -Ju-
Which with all due respect is totally a waste of money. If it is fixed and repaired, you're throwing away £10k because you're sad someone else has driven it.

If anything you should be thinking that they can't hurt you because you had it repaired and it is just as amazing as before.

No argument could convince me that selling it is worth it, and if you want to waste £10k go on an amazing holiday or buy an amazing home cinema system, or the latest most powerful Apple products but don't lose it on a car that you can have repaired. It is honestly just STUPID. And sure have a go at me for saying that but it is and the dealer will love you - give them a repaired as new car which they will sell for more than the replacement you buy!

Don’t think anyones going to have a go at you for having an opinion on some random guys stolen car, I’d hope not.

£10k is a STUPID amount of money to spend on getting something the same, but more than likely not as good. You’re right.

Made up my mind if I keep it I’m going to spend money on it… call me weird but the first thing would be a new steering wheel. Yes that is stupid but don’t want to touch what the proles touched.

if I get rid I’m going to go 8Y so if anyone knows any dealers giving halfway decent deals pls let me know. At least that way I’m “trading up” not down.

Reactions: Spinstorm, -Ju- and Deleted member 160894
First of all sorry to hear that, always sucks. As long as everyone is ok, metal can be fixed or replaced. That hasn't always been the case with RS3s unfortunately.

For me the problem would be two-fold.

First, it is perfectly possible to damage the drivetrain in 2 hours. Very difficult to see or check. Not something a dealer is capable of. I would take it somewhere that is used to fixing ragged cars to see what they could spot, up your way somewhere like Litchfield or Awesome.

Secondly, you buy a car like this for the way it makes you feel. If it reminds you of a ***** time every time you get in it then it defeats one reason for having it. Unless you have had a car stolen or lived in a house that was burgled the it is difficult to understand.

There is another way of looking at it, like getting the first scratch on a new car, it is no longer new and you can be a bit less precious about it and probably actually enjoy it more. Rather than just fix it, use some of that £10K to make it better than it was. If you are going to replace the steering wheel get a better one. If the wheels are kerbed, get ones you have lusted after. Give it a good service, replace all the oils and then use it. Keep the rest of the money in case something does go wrong. If it does then make the most of that too and fix it better.

Reactions: Dav33d
This is my main issue and I agree to a certain extent, but it’s a lack of confidence in the people insurers use to check vehicles that’s my issue.

You’re right it would cost a lot more, nothing spec’d like mine for money and not a fat lot on the market. (I don’t want an OPF).

As for 8Y models I can’t find any deals due to the market.
You don't want an OPF car but looking at deals for an 8Y that as an OPF ?

You don't want an OPF car but looking at deals for an 8Y that as an OPF ?

I’d take an 8Y with an OPF, newer car, tech etc and eventually OPFs will catch up with us all. No point trading 8V non-opf to OPF, I don’t think there’s any spec benefit? (Might be wrong).

Anyway, doesn’t look it’s a decision I’m going to have to make anytime soon. Firstly, my rs3 is still at the compound, pretty much 3 weeks later insurance have managed to do nothing. All the local garages won’t take it on as they’re full. Secondly, doesn’t look like there’s any deals at all.. I’m sure I read build slots were being cancelled as well.

Reactions: Mr Freeze
I’d take an 8Y with an OPF, newer car, tech etc and eventually OPFs will catch up with us all. No point trading 8V non-opf to OPF, I don’t think there’s any spec benefit? (Might be wrong).

Anyway, doesn’t look it’s a decision I’m going to have to make anytime soon. Firstly, my rs3 is still at the compound, pretty much 3 weeks later insurance have managed to do nothing. All the local garages won’t take it on as they’re full. Secondly, doesn’t look like there’s any deals at all.. I’m sure I read build slots were being cancelled as well.
Got ya . I don't blame you not want an OPF 8V Rs3 I made that mistake when buying my 2019 S3 I didn't know much about OPF'S and was shocked at how quiet they are compared to the 2018 S3's sadly going forward all performance cars are going to get quieter

To close this one off … or at least kind of, I collected my RS on Friday. Nearly six months after it was stolen.

Pretty happy with what they’ve done it bar the scummy thieves stole the rear bench which has been replaced but looks miles lighter. They checked part code and it’s “soul black”…. Random just looks one or two shades lighter.

Going to get the steering wheel refurbed by Royal steering wheels and a new gear changer. Any recommendations on where to get the gear changer from and if it’s easy to fit would be great.

I had an exhaust valve controller that got stolen replacing that is nearly the same as a revo map, is this worth the extra and relatively “safe”?

can you also run ghost and revo together?

Morning All,

To close this one off … or at least kind of, I collected my RS on Friday. Nearly six months after it was stolen.

Pretty happy with what they’ve done it bar the scummy thieves stole the rear bench which has been replaced but looks miles lighter. They checked part code and it’s “soul black”…. Random just looks one or two shades lighter.

Going to get the steering wheel refurbed by Royal steering wheels and a new gear changer. Any recommendations on where to get the gear changer from and if it’s easy to fit would be great.

I had an exhaust valve controller that got stolen replacing that is nearly the same as a revo map, is this worth the extra and relatively “safe”?

can you also run ghost and revo together?
Hi

what was the registration of your car?

the reason being I have just bought an Ara blue 2018 saloon

regards

keith