APR Stage 2+ 8P S3 black smoke under heavy acceleration

S3_OK

Reaction score
So my S3 has recently developed a problem. When booting it above 5k rpm a bit of black smoke comes out of the exhaust, not as much as a DPF deleted diesel, but a thin cloud. After spirited driving, there is always soot on the exhaust. This all initially started happening when my PCV valve went, I replaced this with a new genuine one and the smoke lessened but it is still there. The car is APR stage 2+, I've read that it could just be from the increased fuelling due to the remap and it's nothing to worry about? If anyone has any insight I'd appreciate it.

Last edited:
Chat with your tuner as maybe it needs adjusting a little.

Reactions: S3_OK
Chat with your tuner as maybe it needs adjusting a little.

It was done by VRS Performance before I took ownership of the car. I'll give them a call. Problem is that they're a while away from me.

I have the APR stage 2+ software on my S3 and it does leave a few sooty spots on the rear. I was talking to another tuner a couple of weeks ago and he said the APR maps make the car run a bit rich, hence the sooty spots.
Depending on where you live, you could try Awesome for a bit of help as they are the U.K. HQ for APR.

I have the APR stage 2+ software on my S3 and it does leave a few sooty spots on the rear. I was talking to another tuner a couple of weeks ago and he said the APR maps make the car run a bit rich, hence the sooty spots.
Depending on where you live, you could try Awesome for a bit of help as they are the U.K. HQ for APR.

Thanks mate, I did hear similar things, I was wondering if it was residual from the old busted PCV as well. I'm based in East Anglia, so even further from Awesome GTI unfortunately. The car does sometimes splutter a little on startup if left for a week or so, not sure if that's normal or related at all.

Splutter not normal, even if left for weeks on end. Maybe have your injectors checked out as they are known to leak with age, and this could lead to more serious trouble. Have you checked obvious stuff like dv, leaking IC pipes, plugs?

Splutter not normal, even if left for weeks on end. Maybe have your injectors checked out as they are known to leak with age, and this could lead to more serious trouble. Have you checked obvious stuff like dv, leaking IC pipes, plugs?

Injectors were replaced 15K ago, with genuine ones and spark plugs were done 3k ago at the last service. DV is rev G, I will give it a check as I know the diaphragm can split at high boost. I will give IC pipes a check but they looked fine last service. There are no fault codes etc. The car is pretty high mileage, just above 140k. But it has been exceptionally well looked after, and pretty much everything has been done. New timing chain a year ago, new hpfp, etc. It has had a runner flap delete which I know causes startup issues but this has been mapped in. I run it on millers 10w40. Been racking my brain to think what's causing the issue. The car still runs perfectly though, pulls great with no hesitation or anything.

We have a TT with the TFSI engine and it splutters a bit to start when cold. We never got to the bottom of it and we have had the car for nearly 70k miles. I just keep the car turning over for a little bit longer. Never an issue when warm. I remember a post from Nikki Gower who runs RTech about it a few years ago who I think referred to a valve that starts to leak causing initial low fuel pressure on start up. Worth giving them a call but they are based in Nuneaton.
However, Will who runs VRS is very clued up too and so should be able to help.
However, you have APR software and I might be looking there. I have the same stage 2+ On my S3 8P and I kept being told it would adapt as I changed and improved hardware.
I had the software fitted at the same time as having a APR downpipe and a Nuespeed intake.
I then changed the downpipe for a full BCS system with a 100 cell cat, a Revo intake, a Wagner intercooler and fitted an RS4 pressure relief valve. No alteration or tweak to the software when my car was at Awesome for other work. A custom map would have taken account of these changes. There is specific APR software that can be added for the runner flap delete but you need to check that it really has been done but as mentioned, the software is a bit too generic and cannot be tweaked for the particular hardware on the car.
If I was starting afresh I would always have a custom map from somewhere like RTech but I think your first port of call must be VRS as they provided the software.
Awesome are quite helpful and you could call them as well to see what software has been recorded on the APR database for your car.

We have a TT with the TFSI engine and it splutters a bit to start when cold. We never got to the bottom of it and we have had the car for nearly 70k miles. I just keep the car turning over for a little bit longer. Never an issue when warm. I remember a post from Nikki Gower who runs RTech about it a few years ago who I think referred to a valve that starts to leak causing initial low fuel pressure on start up. Worth giving them a call but they are based in Nuneaton.
However, Will who runs VRS is very clued up too and so should be able to help.
However, you have APR software and I might be looking there. I have the same stage 2+ On my S3 8P and I kept being told it would adapt as I changed and improved hardware.
I had the software fitted at the same time as having a APR downpipe and a Nuespeed intake.
I then changed the downpipe for a full BCS system with a 100 cell cat, a Revo intake, a Wagner intercooler and fitted an RS4 pressure relief valve. No alteration or tweak to the software when my car was at Awesome for other work. A custom map would have taken account of these changes. There is specific APR software that can be added for the runner flap delete but you need to check that it really has been done but as mentioned, the software is a bit too generic and cannot be tweaked for the particular hardware on the car.
If I was starting afresh I would always have a custom map from somewhere like RTech but I think your first port of call must be VRS as they provided the software.
Awesome are quite helpful and you could call them as well to see what software has been recorded on the APR database for your car.
Thank you for the detailed response. Actually having a think about it, I have pretty recently switched to 3.5" sports cat downpipe, and I don't recall if the car was having starting issues before this. I think I'll definitely give VRS a call, it was a good few years ago it was mapped but hopefully, they might have some info! I'm not really experiencing much in the way of smoking now so my main concern is the startup issue. But the car runs perfectly otherwise so hopefully, it's nothing serious!