USB connectivity lost.

Charlie Farley

Chilling out.
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
A bit of an odd one this afternoon with my ICE.
Whilst playing music tracks from a USB stick connected to a remote USB port the HU just lost all remote connectivity and won't show anything connected, not even with my iPhone connected with a USB cable, very odd that it should drop out suddenly.
HU is working fine otherwise and just reports NO USB.
So I'm thinking of possible cable issues with the USB/aux extension cable.
I'm going pull the HU in the morning just to check but i think it may be just the cheap aux cable/ port connector that has failed.
Has anyone else had similar issues with remote USB/AUX connections?

A bit of an odd one this afternoon with my ICE.
Whilst playing music tracks from a USB stick connected to a remote USB port the HU just lost all remote connectivity and won't show anything connected, not even with my iPhone connected with a USB cable, very odd that it should drop out suddenly.
HU is working fine otherwise and just reports NO USB.
So I'm thinking of possible cable issues with the USB/aux extension cable.
I'm going pull the HU in the morning just to check but i think it may be just the cheap aux cable/ port connector that has failed.
Has anyone else had similar issues with remote USB/AUX connections?
Hi Rob,
Did you try powering the HU down completely? Sometimes a reset will kick these things back into touch.
That said, I had to replace my iPhone lighting cable that goes into one of the USB’s on the HU as it had failed, was charging the phone but wouldn’t connect to CarPlay. The wires inside these cables are usually very thin and are prone to breaking if the cables are bent back and forth.

Reactions: Charlie Farley
Hi Rob,
I did cycle the HU a few times and even a full reset but no joy, it still says "NO USB"
I'm leaning towards your suggestion that the cable has failed or possibly the USB socket itself as it is not really a good fit with a cable inserted.

Hi Rob,
I did cycle the HU a few times and even a full reset but no joy, it still says "NO USB"
I'm leaning towards your suggestion that the cable has failed or possibly the USB socket itself as it is not really a good fit with a cable inserted.
If you are using a USB extension from the socket at the rear of the HU, that’s probably the culprit.
Has the HU got direct USB connections on the back/ front or are they on fixed breakout cables that have a USB socket?

No the hu has a fly lead with multiple connections for cams / vid etc , one aux plug for an aux input or extension lead.
I bought an extension lead with a usb/aux input on a back plate fixed in the armrest, as you say maybe fault is with that lead/socket.

No the hu has a fly lead with multiple connections for cams / vid etc , one aux plug for an aux input or extension lead.
I bought an extension lead with a usb/aux input on a back plate fixed in the armrest, as you say maybe fault is with that lead/socket.
Perfect, just plug your iPhone lighting cable directly into the USB on the fly lead when you take the head unit out.
If that doesn’t work, try a USB stick with some music on. If either work it points to the extension cable, I’d be pretty sure it’s that

Perfect, just plug your iPhone lighting cable directly into the USB on the fly lead when you take the head unit out.
If that doesn’t work, try a USB stick with some music on. If either work it points to the extension cable, I’d be pretty sure it’s that
sounds like a plan Rob. :icon thumright:

When you say you cycled the power, do you mean ignition, if so then you need to remove all power to do a reset as sometimes this happens & only complete power down clears the issue.

Failing that then yeah cable possibly become faulty, but most times it's just a full power reset.

When you say you cycled the power, do you mean ignition, if so then you need to remove all power to do a reset as sometimes this happens & only complete power down clears the issue.

Failing that then yeah cable possibly become faulty, but most times it's just a full power reset.
It was a total power down Nigel, not just ign off.
It made no difference, but i managed to find another lightning lead in my desk which has solved the connectivity problem with a USB cable connection but still no joy with any USB stick directly in the port, which does indicate as @Rob Avant said the extension lead to the HU has a problem and the fact the new lead works is just a random chance thing and is working intermittently.

I didn't get a chance to pull the HU today so that's on tomorrows hit list