Actual size of the bus steering wheel!!?

cooperp

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've got a Vorsprung on order and currently have an 8v FL with nice flat bottom steering wheel.
I've heard all the jokes etc about the Carbon edition flat wheel vs the Vorsprung round one, but does anyone know if there is a difference in actual diameter between the two?
Obviously I would prefer the flat alcantara one. But beggers can't be choosers.

• Haha
Reactions: Snake Pliskin and kayemill
Dont kno actual size, but comparing my vorsprung wheel to my b9 s4 flat bottom i can confirm the round wheel is maaassive

• Haha
Reactions: cooperp, Snake Pliskin and kayemill
Hi all,
I've got a Vorsprung on order and currently have an 8v FL with nice flat bottom steering wheel.
I've heard all the jokes etc about the Carbon edition flat wheel vs the Vorsprung round one, but does anyone know if there is a difference in actual diameter between the two?
Obviously I would prefer the flat alcantara one. But beggers can't be choosers.
I've just measured mine for you and it's about 365mm in diameter. Don't know how that compares to the flat bottomed version though.

Reactions: cooperp
Flat bottom wheel is 360 across the width and 340 top to flat bottom.

When I had that A3 loan car I must admit this round wheel felt big and hideous

634ea350641a0ecb689654b969f2598d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha
Reactions: Snake Pliskin and kayemill
Flat bottom wheel is 360 across the width and 340 top to flat bottom.

When I had that A3 loan car I must admit this round wheel felt big and hideous

634ea350641a0ecb689654b969f2598d.jpg

That's amusing because it means that after all the comments they're essentially the same size across. :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

Granted the flat bottom takes almost an inch off it in that dimension, but overall there's no real difference between the 'bus' wheel and the FBSW.

• Haha
Reactions: 3vans, RichK, IanL-RS3 and 1 other person
That's amusing because it means that after all the comments they're essentially the same size across. :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

Granted the flat bottom takes almost an inch off it in that dimension, but overall there's no real difference between the 'bus' wheel and the FBSW.

I think the airbag and the bottom spoke do it no favours whatsoever.

Reactions: Daggerit and Snake Pliskin
lol what an amusing thread :tearsofjoy:
I think most of the problem is that it LOOKS much bigger regardless of its proportions not actually being significantly larger.
Plus the airbag shape is weird looking and bigger.
This was a major error IMO by Audi and genuinely was one of the reasons I went for a carbon.
The steering wheel you touch and look at every day - I just knew it would annoy the hell out of me.
I appreciate most people aren't bothered or can look beyond it but with the interior already missing contrast stitching etc I could not tolerate another niggle.

Reactions: LayZ_Pz, cooperp, kayemill and 3 others
I think most of the problem is that it LOOKS much bigger regardless of its proportions not actually being significantly larger.
This was a major error IMO by Audi and genuinely was one of the reasons I went for a carbon.
The steering wheel you touch and look at every day - I just knew it would annoy the hell out of me.
I appreciate most people aren't bothered or can look beyond it but with the interior already missing contrast stitching etc I could not tolerate another niggle.

It’s weird isn’t it how the round wheel looks so big when it really isn’t.
Yet when I look at the flat bottomed wheel I have in mine it looks quite diddy by comparison

Reactions: Snake Pliskin, kayemill and Daggerit
That's fair enough, it's personal preference for what spec you're ordering. If there was an option for Vorsprung with FBSW I'd 100% have chosen it but now that I have the bus steering wheel I really don't notice it because I just find there's more than enough to keep me occupied and not looking down at it.

I'm not defending the round wheel, just that I notice it far less than I thought I would.

Reactions: cooperp, RichK, Snake Pliskin and 1 other person
We all know it IS the size of the wheel on a bus despite protests from the Vorsprung crowd ;)

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

• Haha
Reactions: LayZ_Pz, Daggerit, Snake Pliskin and 2 others
That's fair enough, it's personal preference for what spec you're ordering. If there was an option for Vorsprung with FBSW I'd 100% have chosen it but now that I have the bus steering wheel I really don't notice it because I just find there's more than enough to keep me occupied and not looking down at it.

I'm not defending the round wheel, just that I notice it far less than I thought I would.

You notice it when buying your ticket off the driver
giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: cooperp, Snake Pliskin, kayemill and 1 other person

Just lazy of Audi not to offer a flat bottom option on the Vorsprung - or to have supplied it as standard in the first place.
More so when you can option the interior pack in Europe and get a fantastic looking alcantara trimmed flat bottom wheel with contrast stitch.

Reactions: Daggerit
We all know it IS the size of the wheel on a bus despite protests from the Vorsprung crowd ;)

TX.

I don't think we ever bottomed out if it was bus size or lorry size, I think that was the issue :tearsofjoy:

• Haha
Reactions: Daggerit
Thanks all for your feedback.

So the round wheel appears bigger bit really isn't.

Would still prefer the flat bottom wheel.

Oh well, just another 6months or who knows until I can actually see it for myself!

Reactions: RichK and Daggerit
Thanks all for your feedback.

So the round wheel appears bigger bit really isn't.

Would still prefer the flat bottom wheel.

Oh well, just another 6months or who knows until I can actually see it for myself!
Exactly that. Looks bigger but is exactly the same really.

And also like you, I'd have preferred the flat version if given a choice.

Tbf the round wheel in the RSQ3 is fine.

TX.
563183fa8f0a2923db7c5bcc6b8039d7.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 8YARWY and rngDeadeye
I'm pretty happy with the size.

It feels smaller than my Clio Trophy and about the same size as the momo I had in my 306.

But then I have been driving an X5 for the past 12 years lol

I guess flat bottoms are for once in demand lol

Reactions: cooperp and Daggerit
It’s probably about the only thing I really dislike about my car. Annoys me every time I get in.

It’s probably about the only thing I really dislike about my car. Annoys me every time I get in.

exactly why I went carbon - I know it would have bugged the hell out of me.
with the creation of this thread I was admiring my flat bottom wheel yesterday and its perfect proportions ... lol ;)
but on the flip side I don't have a pano roof which I would have really liked with this car so hey nothing is perfect is it.

• Haha
Reactions: cooperp and 8YARWY
Personally I'm glad the VS has the round wheel.
Having just driving to London and Back (420miles each way) i'm glad the wheel is round. I can rest my arm on my legs or armrest and hold the bottom of the wheel. With a smaller wheel or flat bottomed i would have to lift my legs higher meaning they aren't on the footrest or near the brake. But then i'm an old man and don't hoon it everywhere anymore. BTW - never had a 5cyclinder before but the deep bellow you get when you floor it addictive.

Reactions: RS03???, cooperp, Terminator x and 1 other person
Having just driving to London and Back (420miles each way) i'm glad the wheel is round. I can rest my arm on my legs or armrest and hold the bottom of the wheel. With a smaller wheel or flat bottomed i would have to lift my legs higher meaning they aren't on the footrest or near the brake. But then i'm an old man and don't hoon it everywhere anymore. BTW - never had a 5cyclinder before but the deep bellow you get when you floor it addictive.
The flat-bottomed just doesn't slide in your hands properly either. Our S3 has it and I don't like it.

Maybe Audi did their research after all then in giving the Vorpsrung crowd the round wheel - lotta love above for it :)

Reactions: cooperp, 8YARWY and Daggerit
Hi. "Sport" wheel in RS3 has same size (diameter) as S3 wheel. "Bus" wheel is bigger (about 1 cm diameter more). Size S3 wheel is great. RS3 "bus" for me - little to big, but acceptable.
"Bus" - approx. 36,5 cm
"Sport" - approx. 35,5 cm
SQ5 - approx. 37,2 cm

Great views of the round wheel here for those that like it ;)

he does comment on it being a bit large.

Reactions: 8YARWY
Great views of the round wheel here for those that like it ;)

he does comment on it being a bit large.

I think what makes it look a lot bigger are the ali spokes from the airbag to the base of the wheel, they seem to look long on the pictures, whereas the flat bottomed wheel has black spokes and a narrower gap in the middle.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
The flat bottom wheel is much more concave which makes it look smaller too.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and 8YARWY
The flat bottom wheel is much more concave which makes it look smaller too.
Agreed, that VS wheel is just so boring and terrible to look at......

2021 Audi RS3 4ABT Tuning RS3 Daytona Grau Interieur

Reactions: cooperp, Snake Pliskin and kayemill
^^ no leccy seats, you taking the p*ss?!

TX.

• Haha
^^ no leccy seats, you taking the p*ss?!

TX.

I had em on my PFL, waste of time the speed they moved at.

Maybe when I buy a big wafting mobile later in life I’ll want them, but not now, prefer the quick manual way, we all can’t have a butler like you John

• Haha
Sorry Guys I was wrong.
Round steering wheels are fine.
Had a test drive in a car today and it had one like this - it was terrific !
I’m a convert :icon thumright:

Reactions: Deleted member 160894 and Daggerit
Sorry Guys I was wrong.
Round steering wheels are fine.
Had a test drive in a car today and it had one like this - it was terrific !
I’m a convert :icon thumright:

View attachment 260228

Funny you should say that. Mate had a 911 delivered and I was going to compare wheel sizes since it’s round.

• Haha
The round wheel in the 8y is OKAY. Shame its just too thin. Bit chunkier wudve been nice the way the bmw wheels are

Reactions: IanL-RS3
Hi. "Sport" wheel in RS3 has same size (diameter) as S3 wheel. "Bus" wheel is bigger (about 1 cm diameter more). Size S3 wheel is great. RS3 "bus" for me - little to big, but acceptable.
"Bus" - approx. 36,5 cm
"Sport" - approx. 35,5 cm
SQ5 - approx. 37,2 cm
Nice detail