Plasma tv vs 4K

Raiden

Reaction score
Bit random but need some help.

In 2007 I bought a Panasonic viera plasma 42 inch which has served me very well. Back then it cost a lot of money and was top of the range.

I’ve debated getting a new tv but if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. Plus I’m a bit tight.

So I was given a Panasonic 4K 50 inch by my mum as her husband got bored of it and went bigger so I thought result. So I’ll be using my old one for my retro games consoles and use the new one as the main tv.

Last 24 hours of using it me and the wife are not 100% happy with the picture quality. The colours seem dull and the background picture is a bit pixelated at times.

We are playing around with the settings and for us it’s still not right. I’m thinking maybe we are not used to it? My niece has 50 inch state of the art tv and I remember watching the new Obi Wan and the picture just seemed strange watching it. Then watching it on the old plasma my eyes preferred it.

Am just used to old technology or do I need to tinker with it. It’s one of those situations where I’m thinking I should of just stuck with what I had

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a top of the line Panasonic plasma from 2008 and it’s still going strong. Picture still looks great even compared to my Sony 4k hdr which I bought last year. Contrast is good and picture very sharp using Apple TV.
thing is not all 4k screens are equal and some are really poor and nowhere near bright enough. It might have the pixel count but that’s not all that makes a good tv. When watching anything other than 4k the upscale processing is very important which is where a lot of 4k tv fail.
have a look on av forums and see if there’s a setting of something close to calibrated settings available

Reactions: Raiden
Having had around 10 tv's in the last 15 year's 2nd one was a LG Infinity design 50" plasma Very good TV but as time went on a year later lol l wanted a larger tv although Plasmas where still available at the time they where only available up to 60" So l went down the LCD side lit road great TVs especially for a bright rooms such as my viewing room 65" kept this particular Tv for almost 5 years it was one down from the range topper back then £2k think it was Samsung ...decided to go 75" next first one was **** sold it on to my sister within 2 months lol cost me £2200 she got a bargain £1100 ....then bought another 75" inch it was £5000 when it was introduced l paid £3300 7 months after its introduction...Samsung Q90R amazing tv Full back lit array ....best PQ i have ever had ....sold that in April now have a the range Topping Samsung 85" Q95B ...again a full array back lit TV mini led tv has a separate tuning box like my previous Tv the Q90R
I am home cinema anorak and most of my serious viewing is made up of 4k UHD Blu ray discs so l do know a thing or 2 about tv's
To sum up you only get what you pay for 99% of the time buy last years model as they're very little difference between the new model and the previous years plus you get a big discount on the previous model
You want a tv for a bright room buy a back lit led tv
You want a tv for a dark room buy a OLED
As a rule of thumb youll only begin to get a good tv from around £1000 upwards in 50/55 size, smaller tv's = less discount the further up the size and model range the better the discount
Audi/ all car manufacturers are mot alone in cost cutting as my current Samsung 85" is the same weight as my previous 75" tv = 37 kilos previous had better PQ as well
4k streaming as in kenobi for example isn’t really full 4k uhd hdr its lower rent 4k
Its not really all about the resolution of the set its the High Dynamic Range that makes the big difference bold colours and good black graduation
Best 4k UHD HDR comes from disc but again some disc cant look dreadful it all depends on how its been remastered/mastered

Reactions: Rob Avant, Buffmaloney and Raiden

In 2007 I bought a Panasonic viera plasma 42 inch which has served me very well. Back then it cost a lot of money and was top of the range.

I’ve debated getting a new tv but if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. Plus I’m a bit tight.

So I was given a Panasonic 4K 50 inch by my mum as her husband got bored of it and went bigger so I thought result. So I’ll be using my old one for my retro games consoles and use the new one as the main tv.

Last 24 hours of using it me and the wife are not 100% happy with the picture quality. The colours seem dull and the background picture is a bit pixelated at times.

We are playing around with the settings and for us it’s still not right. I’m thinking maybe we are not used to it? My niece has 50 inch state of the art tv and I remember watching the new Obi Wan and the picture just seemed strange watching it. Then watching it on the old plasma my eyes preferred it.

Am just used to old technology or do I need to tinker with it. It’s one of those situations where I’m thinking I should of just stuck with what I had

It's that old adage ,if it ain't broke ,don't fix it I'm afraid.

If you are happy with the one you have and does what you need , why change to something else that may not be as good or more complicated to use.
Newer is not allways better.

Reactions: AlS3BE and Raiden
the issue is/was plasma was superior to lcd tvs for picture quality but the tree huggers won as plasma used too much electricity so companies stop developing them and went with lcd. Think it was California that was first to ban plasma sales. For years other than higher resolution the lcd picture, at least to me, was crap. Only now with oled and full array local dimming lcd tvs that they are better. That’s about to change as all tv sold in Europe will need to be A rated for efficiency so it’s all going to go bad again. Even though we have left Europe the bureaucratic crap they churn out still affect us as companies like Samsung and Sony is going to sell 1 model for Europe and uk. Some of these rules to me hinders development and advancement. I.e forcing all tech to use usb c as the defacto port. Usbc is like 10 years old.

the issue is/was plasma was superior to lcd tvs for picture quality but the tree huggers won as plasma used too much electricity so companies stop developing them and went with lcd. Think it was California that was first to ban plasma sales. For years other than higher resolution the lcd picture, at least to me, was crap. Only now with oled and full array local dimming lcd tvs that they are better. That’s about to change as all tv sold in Europe will need to be A rated for efficiency so it’s all going to go bad again. Even though we have left Europe the bureaucratic crap they churn out still affect us as companies like Samsung and Sony is going to sell 1 model for Europe and uk. Some of these rules to me hinders development and advancement. I.e forcing all tech to use usb c as the defacto port. Usbc is like 10 years old.
That EU Regulation is easily bypassed by tv manufacturers they just need to add an EU picture setting bit like efficiency mode the minorities always get their ways these days and the majority end up paying through the nose for it all... glad l aint growing up in this day and age .....world is FUBAR and that wont change ie for £££ i dont give a monkeys about this eco guff ....every choice people as a consumer is slowly but been taken away from us .....what next

Last edited:
Reactions: Buffmaloney and AlS3BE
It's that old adage ,if it ain't broke ,don't fix it I'm afraid.

If you are happy with the one you have and does what you need , why change to something else that may not be as good or more complicated to use.
Newer is not allways better.
In the case of tv technologies new is better and easier to use
New 4k tvs upscale old tv programs which is a must on 55 inch above ...otherwise these old programs they'd be unwatchable....Avril had a 50 inch Samsung plasma it lasted 10 years which was good...other good thing it was a 3rd radiator in the room heat radiating from it was overwhelming bad in this day and age

Reactions: AlS3BE
That EU Regulation is easily bypassed by tv manufacturers they just need to add an EU picture setting bit like efficiency mode the minorities always get their ways these days and the majority end up paying through the nose for it all... glad l aint growing up in this day and age .....world is FUBAR and that wont change
Another annoyance to bypass.
I can’t change any tv picture setting without the tv saying are you sure cause it might use a tiny drop of extra electricity.

Another annoyance to bypass.
I can’t change any tv picture setting without the tv saying are you sure cause it might use a tiny drop of extra electricity.
Drives me up the wall that does ....never had this on my last tv ....on another note l purchased a new AV receiver Denon 8500ha the heat that it gave off from it's power supply/toroidal transformer was ridiculous l ended up sending it back plus l didn't like the remote lol
I have to say the only electrical home av product youll get a good discount on at the moment is new tv's...everything is going up in price

Drives me up the wall that does ....never had this on my last tv ....on another note l purchased a new AV receiver Denon 8500ha the heat that it gave off
The annoying thing about it is it didn’t do that when I bought it but last update brought it in. Pain in the rear.
As for receivers they going through the roof. I’m a big Yamaha fan so looking at the v6a or one of their advantage range. Still got an almost 20 year Yamaha av amp running in spare room with a Sony in the living room.

Reactions: Jassyo06
The annoying thing about it is it didn’t do that when I bought it but last update brought it in. Pain in the rear.
As for receivers they going through the roof. I’m a big Yamaha fan so looking at the v6a or one of their advantage range. Still got an almost 20 year Yamaha av amp running in spare room with a Sony in the living room.
Yamaha range are nice especially the Aventage range but did they not have a lot of firmware updates required and has yamaha gone through with them yet ?l am a Pioneer fanboy lol have a LX704 9-2 atm got it as soon as came it out the December before covid lol traded it in for the Denon now l have it back lol glad l did the Denon was just overkill for my size of room ...13-2/ 7-2-6 thing was so ****** heavy lol just got 3 new front speakers left centre and right the Mrs has said get shot of them lol am stuck between a rock and hard place maybe a bit of bribery will smooth things over ....still got my existing wall mounted speakers on the wall if the bribes dont work ...home cinema is my biggest only hobby as given up hope of my RS3 being built so no more fancy cars for me....had enough of them

Attachments

• 20221030_153656.jpg
    20221030_153656.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 58
  • 20221030_153703.jpg
    20221030_153703.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 61
  • 20221030_153718.jpg
    20221030_153718.jpg
    931.4 KB · Views: 63
  • 20221030_153754.jpg
    20221030_153754.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 60
  • 20221030_153726.jpg
    20221030_153726.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 69
Yamaha range are nice especially the Aventage range but did they not have a lot of firmware updates required and has yamaha gone through with them yet ?l am a Pioneer fanboy lol have a LX704 9-2 atm got it as soon as came it out the December before covid lol traded it in for the Denon now l have it back lol glad l did the Denon was just overkill for my size of room ...13-2/ 7-2-6 thing was so ****** heavy lol just got 3 new front speakers left centre and right the Mrs has said get shot of them lol am stuck between a rock and hard place maybe a bit of bribery will smooth things over ....still got my existing wall mounted speakers on the wall if the bribes dont work ...home cinema is my biggest only hobby as given up hope of my RS3 being built so no more fancy cars for me....had enough of them
They all had issues with hdmi chipsets. 4k120 and 8k pass through issues. Denon and Yamaha was affected most. Don’t think it affected the higher end models as much. Earlier Denons had a box to plug in to fix it and Yamaha gave you 2 years from purchase to send unit to them for a fix.
Nice setup you got there. Are those the kef wall mount speakers? How do you find them?

They all had issues with hdmi chipsets. 4k120 and 8k pass through issues. Denon and Yamaha was affected most. Don’t think it affected the higher end models as much. Earlier Denons had a box to plug in to fix it and Yamaha gave you 2 years from purchase to send unit to them for a fix.
Nice setup you got there. Are those the kef wall mount speakers? How do you find them?
Yeah kef T301's and the 301 centre they're actually very good for what they are A life style speaker but need a good subwoofer as they're no bass from them but they're expensive for what they are l have 2 other sets as surrounds and are perfect for that and 2 kef in ceiling speakers
Up for sale they are if the bribery works lol

I am still using Pioneer Plasma TV which was bought in 2007 or 2008. Picture still better compared to newer tv and I have no intention of buying new one, hoping it will last 10 more years

Reactions: Raiden, THQuattro and AlS3BE
Hi all this is a great post as my main tv is a Panasonic P42V10 and to be honest i still love it, cannot remember when i bought it possibly 2008/9. When i look at new tv,s they just look too bright which is a worry for when it might go tits up. I have just looked on ebay and i found a 50 inch V10 for £80 so less of a worry now lol

I am still using Pioneer Plasma TV which was bought in 2007 or 2008. Picture still better compared to newer tv and I have no intention of buying new one, hoping it will last 10 more years
Old habits Die Hard.....

Reactions: ZenZenMRQ
Yeah kef T301's and the 301 centre they're actually very good for what they are A life style speaker but need a good subwoofer as they're no bass from them but they're expensive for what they are l have 2 other sets as surrounds and are perfect for that and 2 kef in ceiling speakers
Up for sale they are if the bribery works lol
Been itching to replace my speakers. Still undecided which ones and will I need a divorce before that happens :wink:

• Haha
Hi all this is a great post as my main tv is a Panasonic P42V10 and to be honest i still love it, cannot remember when i bought it possibly 2008/9. When i look at new tv,s they just look too bright which is a worry for when it might go tits up. I have just looked on ebay and i found a 50 inch V10 for £80 so less of a worry now lol

my lg 60in that’s thx certified just died. Figured out the power board had some leaking capacitors which cost £2 to fix. Just need some help to move the tv as it’s 70kg+ so I can get it apart properly.
these things generally keeps going with little to go wrong unlike newer tvs. My 2 year old Sony has already been replaced by Sony once so a bit concerned.

Besides
Been itching to replace my speakers. Still undecided which ones and will I need a divorce before that happens :wink:
Av a;ready got the black bags oot the cupboard but .No Audi to sleeo in lol

my lg 60in that’s thx certified just died. Figured out the power board had some leaking capacitors which cost £2 to fix. Just need some help to move the tv as it’s 70kg+ so I can get it apart properly.
these things generally keeps going with little to go wrong unlike newer tvs. My 2 year old Sony has already been replaced by Sony once so a bit concerned.

My LG plasma was THX certified as well lol miss THX kit

New TV's sre disposable as washing machines now hence why l dont keep them that long as l posted old habits ......

Reactions: AlS3BE and Buffmaloney

The video game nerds worked out if I use my plasma 8 hours a day everyday I will get at least another decade out of my plasma.

Greta Thunberg can kiss my a$$

• Haha
Reactions: THQuattro, AlS3BE and Jassyo06
Back in the day ie Circa 1995 l had a Pioneer 50 inch rear projection TV Cost me £4500 best of the Best then Plasma Tv's came along always a bigger and better fish prior to that l had various types of TV's worst and most expensive one was the first widescreen Tv on the market A Phillips 36 inch widescreen TV £3500 no widescreen material available at the time i think all you Plasma lovers should opt for OLED next time you wanna change TV's then turn your radiator up in the room the plasma use to occupy

I used to have a 42 inch Panasonic Plasma that I bought around 2009 . It worked fine and I was in a similar mind to yourself. As we upgraded a few years ago to a HD SKY box we had decent quality video that was higher than the native resolutiuon of the Plasma. I looked around and went for a Panasonic 55 inch OLED.
The image quality is truly stunning. The blacks are perfectly black as they are with a Plasma. The screen doesn't have the great brightness of a backlit LCD but it is brighter than the Plasma was. The phsical size of the screen isn't actually much bigger than the 42 because there is no bezel around the edge.
With Black Friday / Cyber Monday round the corner it's a perfect time to buy.
Get yourself down to a Currys or similar shop and find a find a Panasonic OLED with a 4k source on it.
You have to make sure that they have a 4K decent video source on the TV. In a lot of places they sometimes put better quality video sorces on TV's they want to sell more. At richer sounds they don't mess around like this and are very good.
If there is a Richer sounds anywhere near you they are a great place to buy from nearly all TV's get a 6 yr warranty.

https://www.richersounds.com/panasonic-tx55lz980b.html This is a very similar spec to the TX55GZ950B I bought.

Reactions: AlS3BE and Rob Avant
I still run a Panasonic TXP50VT65 as our main tv, one of the last great plasma screens ever made. The kids can’t break the screen when throwing things at it and the picture quality is still spot on with SD/HD, also heats the room nicely. Plus all the retro consoles still plug into it with the good old composite connections.
Running an LG C Series OLED in the bedroom which is stunning.
Agreed Richer Sounds is the best place to get tech these days.

Reactions: AlS3BE, desertstorm, Charlie Farley and 1 other person
I don't know if your og question has been answered as I'm too busy to read all of the above!
Long story short, had a panasonic lcd 40 something inch for about 10 years and it finally got to the stage that when an image was dark and moody as is the way on so many programmes/films today that the dark areas would be very blocky and almost impossible to see. During lock down my partner shows me an ad on face ache for a Sony 52'' 4K ultra TV with sound bar and woofa e.t.c. only 2 months old and has receipt to prove it (£1189) they started off wanting £900 so I just kept offering £500 cash and I'll go straight round e.t.c. this went on for 2 weeks when at which point they accept.
Got the TV back set it up and instantly thought eww not sure I like this, the picture was making me feel motion sick it was really weird and almost so sharp and clean, 3D, that it didn't even look real if that makes sense. I was gutted for a few nights until I looked it up on the old Googley and found out that other people were complaining of similar issues, turns out that there was a whole host of setting to do with "dynamic" and Cinematic" modes and once I'd turned off various through a process of trial and error that I found the problem was cured. It was strange as Netflix shows were pretty normal, Prime was off and Disney was in my OP unwatchable lol!

I don't know if your og question has been answered as I'm too busy to read all of the above!
Long story short, had a panasonic lcd 40 something inch for about 10 years and it finally got to the stage that when an image was dark and moody as is the way on so many programmes/films today that the dark areas would be very blocky and almost impossible to see. During lock down my partner shows me an ad on face ache for a Sony 52'' 4K ultra TV with sound bar and woofa e.t.c. only 2 months old and has receipt to prove it (£1189) they started off wanting £900 so I just kept offering £500 cash and I'll go straight round e.t.c. this went on for 2 weeks when at which point they accept.
Got the TV back set it up and instantly thought eww not sure I like this, the picture was making me feel motion sick it was really weird and almost so sharp and clean, 3D, that it didn't even look real if that makes sense. I was gutted for a few nights until I looked it up on the old Googley and found out that other people were complaining of similar issues, turns out that there was a whole host of setting to do with "dynamic" and Cinematic" modes and once I'd turned off various through a process of trial and error that I found the problem was cured. It was strange as Netflix shows were pretty normal, Prime was off and Disney was in my OP unwatchable lol!
Get what you pay for? good reason why they sold it to you for £500
Going by most posts on here most don't do their research into Tv technologies and above all a good tv is way down in their priorities which is normal for around 60% of peeps

Going by most posts on here most don't do their research into Tv technologies and above all a good tv is way down in their priorities which is normal for around 60% of peeps
I spent weeks looking at TVs and reviews before I got mine. It’s like that with any of my toys I buy.
thing is with TVs it could have the latest, newest and greatest tech winning all awards and best reviews but can look crap in your living room. combination of lighting conditions,calibration and positioning could ruin a good tv. My living room is south facing so brightly lit all day. Main reason I avoided an oled panel and potential screen burn as I play a lot video games. Went with a full array local dimming lcd and its brighter than any oled panel I’ve seen. When I get round to it and changing the spare room into my cinema room I might get an oled.

About 18 yrs back I bought a Pioneer 505xde 50"plasma for £4K - a shed load back then and for months I got pelters from family/friends for 'wasting' so much money. Picture/sound were excellent and it looked the part so I wasn't bothered. Mind you never let on that the rest of the AV kit was about the same again.
That set has now been on my MIL's wall for the last 3 years and is still going strong, added bonus is that it keeps the chill off - she hates putting the central heating on.
Only reason I upgraded was after a long DIY home refurb I deserved a treat and really liked the look of the LG oled77w9pla, it's smart as, like a sheet of card hanging on the wall (sticks out about 5mm) with all the gubbins in the sound bar. Only problem was it was £16K and I couldn't afford that and a divorce. The 'small' 65" was £8K and still out of my wife's budget.
Long story short I kept checking prices and eventually bagged the 65 for £4K from John Lewis - always use them for tellys - with a £600 black friday 18 month sky discount on top so £3400 all in.
The 720p plasma had a really good picture (probably still got the edge on low def stuff) but the oled beats it on HD and blows it away on 4K, the atmos bar sounds pretty good as well. I didn't know much about Atmos back then but after reading up decided the old Yammy 5.1 receiver had to go and I swapped it for a Denon Atmos. Only problem was I hadn't read up enough on Atmos and ended up having to cut holes in my freshly plastered walls for the Kef 'in wall' high level speakers. Still have my original front and centre Kefs and went with 'in ceiling' ones for rears - new layout means nowhere for conventional rears.
Really happy with my current set up, all of the electrical stuff, centre and sub are hidden in a BDI corridor cabinet so it looks pretty neat as well.
Oleds are much cheaper now, if I was you I'd upgrade, what with the plasma burning through leccy like an Essex tanning salon you'll be quids in in no time.

Yeah what I got was a bargain as if you read my post properly there's nothing wrong with my TV it was just a couple of setting's that needed adjustment or turning off for my personal viewing taste, what I got was a TV set up that was less than 2 months old at 50% discount and now that it's sorted out it makes for some fantastic viewing. So what I got was a huge discount....

Reactions: THQuattro