Can't get rid of the "low battery" key fob warning...

KevyD77

Reaction score
I'm hoping someone has had this issue before.

About a week ago I got the annoying beep on my dash to say that my battery in the key fob is low. My car is only a year old but I thought "ok, I'll just go and get my other key which is brand new".

SAME ISSUE with the new key, which made me think it's the car?

I changed the battery in the original fob just in case, with a brand new one.

SAME problem, I am still getting the message, with both keys.

Am I missing something here at all? Is there some kind of reset I need to do?
(I don't want to take it to Audi again, I am getting bored of being there with problems now, my car was brand new!)

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

Both my fobs showed low battery at around the 18 month mark. Changed the battery in one and the notice went away. I guess these remotes are semi constantly transmitting. Eg..when the key is outside the car while it's on it knows when the key is outside

I changed both of mine when I got the message and the message disappeared

Reactions: AdamInKent
I had this twice with my car
11 months in ‘ low battery ‘ had to change both batteries to get it to disappear and lock / unlock with both keys.
Then coincidentally again 11 months after exactly the same.
I believe it’s a time issue built into the car to flag a warning up.

I had this in my a6. Changed batteries in both remote and still got message. First set of batteries were cheap Tesco branded and second set I got Duracells and they worked fine with them for over a year till I traded it in.
I think some batteries run at slightly lower voltage but still has decent capacity but the lower voltage triggers the dash warning even though it will keep working for ages.

I believe it’s a time issue built into the car to flag a warning up.
I can confirm it’s not a fixed timer I had two keys both report low battery within a few days of each other. Having replaced the batteries, just one fob is reporting low battery a couple of months later

And, to make matters worse, changing the batteries in these fobs seems significantly more difficult than in any other car that can have owned. Has anyone worked out a reliable and easy way of opening the case?

Reactions: STmichael
I agree. I have just changed mine and removing the battery cover on the fob is a real pain!

I had trouble changing the battery in my key fob. I ended up going to my Audi dealer - with my own battery - and they changed it for free. The important point is to know where to press inside the key fob, and how much pressure to use. There is a video on YouTube: which demonstrates this.
It’s probably easier to use a small screwdriver rather than the key. Note the angle they use with the screwdriver.

Reactions: Saral
Which in all well and good but my design does not have the large tab as in the video (both keys)!

Attachments

• A0B16BBE-4224-4B26-A568-52E9FF4AC711.jpeg
    A0B16BBE-4224-4B26-A568-52E9FF4AC711.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 155
If you haven't already, I would try a better quality battery such as Energizer Lithium.

Bit of a hiccup with the other post as above.
I changed my fob battery today...didn`t fancy poking around inside the fob with anything metal as per the video and the owner`s handbook, so raided the cutlery drawer and found a nice wide, thin bladed knife which just slides into the gap between the battery cover and the body without causing any damage. Just a couple of mm under the cover is enough to ease it up and release it from the two tags.

DSC00394

I used a precision flat head screwdriver to open the cover. The type you use to usually tighten the screws on glasses hinge etc. There's a slight gap in the top I'm guessing for you to insert the flathead. Then there are 4 (I think) other plastic tabs that need slowly opening.

When I prised off the key fob cover the key started working again, so I assume that the battery wasn't quite seated properly on the battery contacts. Maybe something to watch out for.
It turns out that this was entirely my fault. I neglected to take a warning sticker off of the bottom of the battery :whistle2:

• Haha
Reactions: Maddave and AlS3BE