Themostat leak

Bob i

Reaction score
Hi all a bit of advice needed ,, just had my 2017 8V S3 serviced and guy told me a slight leak from thermostat,,, quoted me £800 what the hell !!!

That's not beyond possibility, subject to where it is, it would need coolant, system bleeding, maybe that's including vat, don't know the engine as no info but depends what needs removing to get too etc, so it maybe reasonable.

Hi all a bit of advice needed ,, just had my 2017 8V S3 serviced and guy told me a slight leak from thermostat,,, quoted me £800 what the hell !!!
Sounds about right maybe slightly less, think I was £740 from independant

Sadly, this is correct. It's not really a "thermostat", in the traditional sense, it's a large thing full of electronics, sensors and slide valves. If you're really unlucky it will also have leaked into the wiring loom and require attention to that too. Mine cost me the thick end of £1200 at Audi earlier in the year...

Hi again bit of an update,, the guy had an old "pump" that he had changed the other day,, its a big plastic box with a metal end plate with the impellor.. Is it an AUDI only part ive checked euro car parts and they dont seem to have it as ive described ,,,thanks for your help really appreciate the feed back.

Hi again bit of an update,, the guy had an old "pump" that he had changed the other day,, its a big plastic box with a metal end plate with the impellor.. Is it an AUDI only part ive checked euro car parts and they dont seem to have it as ive described ,,,thanks for your help really appreciate the feed back.
The big plastic part is the thermostat, the metal part is the water pump. Should look like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174001894213

I believe, there was a silent campaign on this and a "class action" that happened in the US. Details below.
It maybe worth inquiring with the UK Customer Service. You maybe able to recoup some of your expenses.
In my understanding, you should feel lucky that it is caught in an early stage. Another early indication is frequent need to top off the coolant ball with no visible leak on the ground or engine bay. I believe starts very insignificant and gradually gets worse.
https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit...efective-water-pumps-class-action-settlement/
"According to a 2021 class action lawsuit, Volkswagen and Audi vehicles are equipped with defective engine water pumps. These components are allegedly manufactured with defective thermoplastic that can fail prematurely and overheat, resulting in sudden catastrophic engine failure."

Reactions: Bob i