DSG reliability in A3 MHEV

Statiker

Reaction score
Is the version of the DSG , DQ200, used with the 1.5 TFSI engine in the MHEV version reliable? There were a lot of issues with the DSG boxes years ago but can I assume these have been largely overcome?

Is the version of the DSG , DQ200, used with the 1.5 TFSI engine in the MHEV version reliable? There were a lot of issues with the DSG boxes years ago but can I assume these have been largely overcome?
I looked into this when buying my car. As far as I could tell the reliability problems were fixed years ago.

The DQ200 gearbox has had quite a few issues compared to other DSG gearboxes. This is because it doesn't use a multi plate wet clutch like nearly all other DSG gearboxes it uses a dry single plate clutch quite similar to a normal manual gearbox clutch. Google will lead you to issues with the hydraulic accumulator and recalls to replace the fluid .

It is worth bearing in mind though, that there are some driving practices that are bad for Dual Clutch Gearboxes:
5 Things You Should Never Do In A Dual Clutch Transmission Vehicle (Video)
Thanks for the tips, very useful. Sometimes I get too hung up on how things work and what could go wrong! I should just accept it will be under warranty for three years.
With the mhev system how much “coasting” does the car actually do? What would happen if I put the gearbox in neutral and let it freewheel down a hill for example, would that totally confuse the car?

Thanks for the tips, very useful. Sometimes I get too hung up on how things work and what could go wrong! I should just accept it will be under warranty for three years.
With the mhev system how much “coasting” does the car actually do? What would happen if I put the gearbox in neutral and let it freewheel down a hill for example, would that totally confuse the car?
You’re welcome :) The car takes the chance to coast whenever possible: mostly when running downhill or approaching junctions, but it can happen any time when lifting your foot off the accelerator. The car will engage the engine if it needs to wash off speed (it can recover some of the braking energy into the battery). There are lots of videos on YouTube of VW Group MHEV cars coasting.

I definitely wouldn’t recommend putting this car into neutral when driving. It’s not necessary with an MHEV. The car’s computers are in the best position to work out when to disengage the clutches.

As a side note, I’ve found that the car makes better decisions about whether to coast or regen on the approach to junctions if it knows where you are going. So I always put my destination into the satnav, even when I know the way. (It also seems to improve the behaviour of other systems: eg whether to switch on the junction lights, intelligent cruise control and the operation of lane keeping assistance).

Last edited:
You’re welcome :) The car takes the chance to coast whenever possible: mostly when running downhill or approaching junctions, but it can happen any time when lifting your foot off the accelerator. The car will engage the engine if it needs to wash off speed (it can recover some of the braking energy into the battery). There are lots of videos on YouTube of VW Group MHEV cars coasting.

I definitely wouldn’t recommend putting this car into neutral when driving. It’s not necessary with an MHEV. The car’s computers are in the best position to work out when to disengage the clutches.

As a side note, I’ve found that the car makes better decisions about whether to coast or regen on the approach to junctions if it knows where you are going. So I always put my destination into the satnav, even when I know the way. (It also seems to improve the behaviour of other systems: eg whether to switch on the junction lights, intelligent cruise control and the operation of lane keeping assistance).
I took the plunge and ordered a 1.5TFSI DSG Sline Sportback today! I took out the extended warranty as I plan to keep the car for 5 years and wanted the peace of mind, though I hope I never have to use it. The T's&C's for the new car warranty, downloaded from the AudiUK website, state "DSG clutches are covered for the full warranty offered with the vehicle".

Reactions: AdamInKent
You will not regret going s-tronic. Waggling a stick to change gear is so overrated.

Last edited:
And so Outdated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: STmichael
The auto just integrates so much better with the MHEV system and ACC etc. makes it a more relaxed drive.