ABS sensor fault

Bishop187

Reaction score
My 2015 A7 3.0tdi dash decided to light up like a Xmas tree.

I got the front left abs sensor fault, along with loads of others, Audi adaptive light system fault, airbag fault, TPMS fault, parking brake fault and ESP fault too.

I got my mechanic to change over the front left ABS sensor. The old one was seized in there, and snap off when he went to change it. So he had to drill it out. Put the new sensor in but it’s not cleared any faults. But when he put the obd reader on the check it, it’s reading the the wheel speed but sometimes is show an “not ok” fault.

Here’s the obd11 scan I done
View attachment OBDeleven_Log.txt

And this is the fault codes after the new sensor was installed

dbefa2133cf9ad02b7ce8ac225395888.jpg

Any help would be much appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was the replacement sensor an OEM one?
Ive seen a few instances where non OEM (i.e. eBay/3rd party/Chinese) parts have not worked.

if you’ve replaced the part with OEM and are getting the same fault code, check the connecting plug/cable for damage/corrosion.

Also, I notice the sensors are ‘handed’. Here is a link to the part number (Item #3)

iI your up for some DIY, the the Front and Rear LHS sensors are identical, so you could try swapping them around and seeing if the fault moves (dodgy sensor) or stays on the front right (wiring/connector/other)

Good Luck,
John :hi:

Last edited:
Reactions: Bishop187
Was the replacement sensor an OEM one?
Ive seen a few instances where non OEM (i.e. eBay/3rd party/Chinese) parts have not worked.

if you’ve replaced the part with OEM and are getting the same fault code, check the connecting plug/cable for damage/corrosion.

Also, I notice the sensors are ‘handed’. Here is a link to the part number (Item #3)

iI your up for some DIY, the the Front and Rear LHS sensors are identical, so you could try swapping them around and seeing if the fault moves (dodgy sensor) or stays on the front right (wiring/connector/other)

Good Luck,
John :hi:

Thanks RAF,
so the part I used was not OEM, but still made by Bosch.
Yes the they are handed, the front left also, fits rear right and front right fits rear left. I would try to swap them but pretty sure they’ll all be seized in like the front left was.

Next will be to check the wiring loom.

Reactions: RAF_S7
I had power steering go on an A3 I had a few years ago & nothing seemed to sort it. Tried the calibration by turning the steering wheel lock to lock, got the steering angle sensor changed etc. Then had a VAG master tech look at it, plug in VCDS and all speed sensor readings 'seemed' fine.

Until it was viewed in a graph mode and you could see the very quick dip on one of the sensors (that couldn't be detected with a digital readout) which was therefore not allowing the steering wheel calibration to be effective. Changed the sensor & all was resolved.

Not saying that would be your solution, or this is an any way helpful to you, but what seemed fine turned out to be faulty when looked at in a different way.

On the plus side I got arms like popeye as I didn't have any power steering for months

Good luck sorting it, I know these issues are very annoying until they get sorted.

hi @
My 2015 A7 3.0tdi dash decided to light up like a Xmas tree.

I got the front left abs sensor fault, along with loads of others, Audi adaptive light system fault, airbag fault, TPMS fault, parking brake fault and ESP fault too.

I got my mechanic to change over the front left ABS sensor. The old one was seized in there, and snap off when he went to change it. So he had to drill it out. Put the new sensor in but it’s not cleared any faults. But when he put the obd reader on the check it, it’s reading the the wheel speed but sometimes is show an “not ok” fault.

Here’s the obd11 scan I done
View attachment 266476

And this is the fault codes after the new sensor was installed

dbefa2133cf9ad02b7ce8ac225395888.jpg

Any help would be much appreciated

Hi Mate, I posted a thread about this also last week too! I'm having very similar issues on my 2016 3.0l tdi:

TPMS, Park brake, Airbag, Abs, stability control, start/stop, adaptive headlights, main beam etc. But worse my mmi screen also seems to be going in/out by itself as well as my instrument cluster rebooting possibly due to a short. I did try vcds but we couldn't find anything conclusive, lots of missing messaging and unknown errors and malfunction in multiple modules.

I thought it might be a faulty coolant valve as my coolant level was also low but I had that replaced and no joy. I have also replaced the battery last night and still no joy. So I've now ordered new wheel speed sensors and hoping swapping them out will fix the issue. If not i saw a video on youtube where someone had a nick in their abs sensor cable that was causing a short and bringing up the same errors. I did have my brake discs and pads replaced a couple of months ago so wondering whether the garage damaged a cable or sensor. failing this a faulty abs wheel bearing app can cause these issues too.

Yes I saw your post, I thought you were losing coolant, hence talking bout coolant in the plug.

I’ve changed the abs wheel sensor, with a £25 Bosch one, but the fault is still showing. Spoke to another mechanic and he said that the part could be rubbish. he said he’ll try and fit an OEM part, but also check the wiring first. And then I’m guessing the fault is going to be in the other part of the wheel sensor setup which is located in the hub. As u said.

I’ll be taking my car in to the garage in a week or so. So I’ll let u know how I get on.

I’ll me know how u get on to

Reactions: amowolves
Yes I saw your post, I thought you were losing coolant, hence talking bout coolant in the plug.

I’ve changed the abs wheel sensor, with a £25 Bosch one, but the fault is still showing. Spoke to another mechanic and he said that the part could be rubbish. he said he’ll try and fit an OEM part, but also check the wiring first. And then I’m guessing the fault is going to be in the other part of the wheel sensor setup which is located in the hub. As u said.

I’ll be taking my car in to the garage in a week or so. So I’ll let u know how I get on.

I’ll me know how u get on to

ok best of luck, ill update as to how I get on too. Is your spoiler also popping up by any chance? the prob started for me when i was in a multi storey car park and was going round n round on a ramp. so i wouldn't be surprised if the issue is in the abs bearing...app its also a common fault.

Yes spoiler fault too, it’s all linked to the ABS wheel sensor

Off the top of my head, my faults
ESP
ABS light
Spoiler
Parking brake
TPMS
Audi adaptive light fault
Airbag light

what about your instrument cluster? was you losing speed reading, indicators and wiper function and mmi screen having a mind of its own?

what about your instrument cluster? was you losing speed reading, indicators and wiper function and mmi screen having a mind of its own?

No, luckily now of that

Also the cruise control is not working

Finally got a chance to drop it off to the garage. So let’s see what happen

Finally got a chance to drop it off to the garage. So let’s see what happen

The garage is saying the abs pump is faulty, and a new pump from Audi costs just over £3k . I think I need a second opinion, or at least a refurbed part

• Wow
Did you finally get this solved?

I would never have linked any of your symptoms to an ABS Pump :scared2:

Did you finally get this solved?

I would never have linked any of your symptoms to an ABS Pump :scared2:

No. Turns out the garage I left it with, didn’t bother checking anything, only scanned the car, the w@#kers. I’ve not had a chance to get it booked with another shop yet. Tbh I don’t think it is the pump either.
I have a suspicion it’s the wiring, because I’ve replaced the brake wear sensor and this fault shows up intermittently too. I believe it’s the same wiring harness. Otherwise’s it could be a reluctor ring in the hub or the sensor replaced it with was faulty too

Not sure if you got to the bottom of this but had the exact same issue on my A7 occasionally when turning full lock my dash would light up with faults, all related to speed sensor. Front right wheel speed sensor fault. change the sensor all good for a few day then ping back on again. (OEM sensor fitted) I tracked it down to the harness to the wheel speed sensor. this had a break in it and would only flag up when i turned the steering full lock and the harness was stretched. I found a crack in the outer sheathing and on closer inspection could see the broken wires. I ordered a new harness from TPS and had to remove some trim and cut the the old harness and splice in the new. harness cost around £85. easy repair.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-06 at 16.11.00.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-06 at 16.11.00.png
    491.6 KB · Views: 65
Reactions: RAF_S7 and Bishop187
Not sure if you got to the bottom of this but had the exact same issue on my A7 occasionally when turning full lock my dash would light up with faults, all related to speed sensor. Front right wheel speed sensor fault. change the sensor all good for a few day then ping back on again. (OEM sensor fitted) I tracked it down to the harness to the wheel speed sensor. this had a break in it and would only flag up when i turned the steering full lock and the harness was stretched. I found a crack in the outer sheathing and on closer inspection could see the broken wires. I ordered a new harness from TPS and had to remove some trim and cut the the old harness and splice in the new. harness cost around £85. easy repair.

Thanks. This is very helpful info. How many wires were in the harness and where in the car did you splice the new harness in?

Thanks. This is very helpful info. How many wires were in the harness and where in the car did you splice the new harness in?

Just the 2 wires on the drivers side. after removing the wheel arch cover the cable runs behind a small plastic trim which needs to be removed. The new harness is much longer than you require (1m) so you route it and cut and strip back the wires to the point you want to make the joint. I spliced this in just before it joined the main harness a little behind the headlight but behind the trim so its out of sight and the elements. I soldered and heat shrinked the wires then used waterproof insulation tape. Apologies for the picture quality as this was an afterthought once I'd almost completed the job.

Attachments

• 20230326_140046.jpg
    20230326_140046.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 79
  • 20230326_140051.jpg
    20230326_140051.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 76
  • 20230326_140053.jpg
    20230326_140053.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 72
Finally got it all fixed.

2 x front ABS sensors And new front left hub.

Cost me about £580 but warranty is covering £400

Glad you finally got it sorted mate, and under warranty as well. Result (finally!) :thumbs up: