Tyre Wear

I've never had a Michelin tyre that I was impressed with. They seem to be very hyped up for no reason.
Have you used PS4S in the wet in anger? (or even the standard PS4 for that matter) If you have I'd be really interested in what specifically you were not impresssed with. It is easy to be a hero in the dry (PSS, Cup2 etc) but to hang on to most of the performance in all (summer) conditions is impressive IMHO.

I like Continentals for wet braking and winter tyres but they don't last long if you do miles.

Michelin PS4/5/4S or Goodyear Eagle F1 Asy all the way for me. Bridgestone are absolutely dire off track, and hoe many of us thrash a £40k+ car on a track? Of our last 11 VAG cars bought new, 7 of them have come on Bridgestones and the swap outs have always been far better.

For me, Bridgestones in the Summer feel like decent Summer tyres feel in the Winter, and in the Winter, those Bridgestones are just woeful.

Alot of personal preference involved here.

There has always been hype about the latest Michelin Pilot Sport tyre as far back as I remember, around the PS2 to PS3 time.

I put a set of PS3's on my Focus RS at the time and they were terrible, other than lasting a long time... i gave them to a mate in the end to get rid of them.

More recently on my last car, Megane 300 Trophy, the original Bridgestones lasted 5k miles and were replaced by the lease company with Micheline PSS and immediately the car felt dulled down and the turn in / razor sharp handling was reduced. Again though, they did last alot longer.

Reactions: flybynite
Interesting that it's different on different cars (or just subjective maybe). For me it's almost like the sidewall is stiffer or something, and it reduced the very initial roll due to the tyre deforming so made it feel sharper. I like them, but I'm sure others have their own preferences too. I think things have changed a lot over the past decade or so and you don't really get massively 'bad' tyres anymore anyway and a lot is down to your personal preference, proper economy tyres aside.
I think there is also a few 'unfair' comments around tyres, even changing an old worn out tyre for the exact same tyre is going to be a noticeable improvement, (Even more so with Motorcycles, swapping that 'squared' off tyre for a new correct profile one)

Reactions: NevMan, 8YARWY, flybynite and 1 other person
I think there is also a few 'unfair' comments around tyres, even changing an old worn out tyre for the exact same tyre is going to be a noticeable improvement,

Most definitely. My Bridgestones only had 4k on them when I changed them out so thankfully a halfway decent comparison. I really like Michelins on my bikes over the years so figured I’d best try on the car too with all the decent reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mike.46 and NevMan
Slightly off topic but You might end up being the first RS3 8Y I see on the road as I drive the 272 aswell. I'm still yet to see another one.
Will keep an eye out for you mate! Usually go from Bolney to Petworth and back.

Alot of personal preference involved here.

But that is the whole point! There are different tyres for different conditions and different preferences. That is why Jonathan Benson endlessly waxes lyrical for our benefit in choosing the right tyres.

It has always been my mantra that there is no 'best' tyre. You pick the tyre for the conditions you see most and your preferences in how the car handles.

For me the RS3 has to perform in all weathers that is why it sits on PS4S in the summer and Bridgestone A005 Evo in the winter. I felt the car was a bit harsh but I wanted the best grip. The PS4S fits that for me. The softer sidewall takes the edge off the harshness and gives a bit more compliance and weight transfer but I have never found it lacking in grip or balance.

If you want sharper steering then it is the wrong tyre, but I would argue the RS3 is the wrong car to start with.

I think there is also a few 'unfair' comments around tyres, even changing an old worn out tyre for the exact same tyre is going to be a noticeable improvement, (Even more so with Motorcycles, swapping that 'squared' off tyre for a new correct profile one)

I agree, and also the fact that characteristics change as they wear the tread blocks down. Dry grip and steering feel/sharpness can get better as they wear but wet grip and aquaplaning get much worse.

Only thing I am certain of is those ******* OEM Pirellis were only about 10% worn when I binned them for the PS4Ss and the difference to me was quite marked.

Reactions: Mike.46 and Daggerit

I had no complaints with the p zeros.

Too many jumping on ‘bandwagons’ or what they’ve seen on the internet.

Reactions: Mike.46 and flybynite

Had p zeros on the 8v, a bit dicey in the wet but nothing to compare to tbh. That being said I did manage to get a better 0-60 on the dragy with a stage 1 than most people with stage 2 and different tyres.

Out of interest 8V or 8Y that you had no complaints? Did you notice any difference when you went Goodyear on the 8V?

My 8V came with both fronts worn to the canvas on the inner edge at just over 2 years old. Alignment all checked and new RO2 P zeros were fitted by the main dealer when I bought it but soon I could see them starting to scrub. They were not good in the wet either so I got rid of them before they went too far past it.

Similar length of time later and both the PS4S and Bridgestone winters wearing square no sign of inside scrubbing.

I agree there is a lot of internet bandwagons but sometimes there is some fire under the smoke

Out of interest 8V or 8Y that you had no complaints? Did you notice any difference when you went Goodyear on the 8V?

My 8V came with both fronts worn to the canvas on the inner edge at just over 2 years old. Alignment all checked and new RO2 P zeros were fitted by the main dealer when I bought it but soon I could see them starting to scrub. They were not good in the wet either so I got rid of them before they went too far past it.

Similar length of time later and both the PS4S and Bridgestone winters wearing square no sign of inside scrubbing.

I agree there is a lot of internet bandwagons but sometimes there is some fire under the smoke

8Y.

Never had an issue with the 8V tyres either.
No ‘mysterious’ inner tyre wear like others say they were getting.

Bashing Audi about it seems pointless, indeed remember the big long 8V Pirelli thread that was started on this very forum ? What’s come of it ? Absolutely nowt, never will, no one’s admitting any issue on the 8V.

I always found any RS3 I’ve owned superb in the wet or any conditions to be fair and on winter rubber a further step up in all winter conditions.

Saying all that though, some RS3 owners do seem to drive them around like d**ks, see it quite regular with the older 8V’s around the northwest.

Reactions: flybynite
Never had an issue with the 8V tyres either.
No ‘mysterious’ inner tyre wear like others say they were getting.

Bashing Audi about it seems pointless, indeed remember the big long 8V Pirelli thread that was started on this very forum ? What’s come of it ? Absolutely nowt, never will, no one’s admitting any issue on the 8V.

I always found any RS3 I’ve owned superb in the wet or any conditions to be fair and on winter rubber a further step up in all winter conditions.

Saying all that though, some RS3 owners do seem to drive them around like d**ks, see it quite regular with the older 8V’s around the northwest.

Must be very difficult for Car manufacturers to arrive at a suspension 'set up' that will suit 'most' people and their driving styles plus allow decent even wear across the tyre and good economy, Performance, Economy and tyre life are all pulling in different directions for suspension settings,

Our Golf R did wear the inner edges of the front tyres out (more so the left) but it did do quite a lot of straight line stuff, I checked the toe and camber settings and all was within spec (Just a trick for checking camber, download a spirit level onto your smart phone and use in conjunction with a straight edge, easier to check on a flat surface :) )

My old Scirocco (2011) made short work of the Pirelli P7s it xame with, on the front axle - shredding the inner edge of them in under 5k miles. The rear tyres wore evenly. When a new set of Michelin PS3s went on the front, they wore evenly - seems quite a common Pirelli issue across a number of models.

78211f695100434162bfa99a2b0173dc.jpg

For anyone interested. For replacement of Bridgestones, quote Audi.

Who would go with Bridgestones again, anyway? They're *****. Urgent attention required according to the Audi Dealer. I'd be replacing those at 2mm personally.

Who would go with Bridgestones again, anyway? They're *****. Urgent attention required according to the Audi Dealer. I'd be replacing those at 2mm personally.

Standard dealer BS for people that don't know any better.

My favourite is "your brakes are only 4mm from the sensor" Pad is 8mm sensor at 2mm Pads are only 2mm or 25% worn. Do love things like that.

Mind you I don't often let tyres go to 2mm in anything I tend to crack on in

Reactions: 8YARWY
The Bridgestones probably won't last that long. I never measured mine on the S3, but the Bridgestone Turanzas that our Cupra Born came on are only 5.9mm deep when new.. Its the tyre equivalent of those crappy tiny tester ink jet cartridges you get with a new printer.

Yup same, 2mm is my cut off. I’m planning on booking a track night at teeside Autodrome to finish them off and the replace. Might as well get my monies worth.

Dealer will never offer those though……

I was chatting to the tech and he asked what I’d be replacing them with, said contis or Michelins probably. He agreed said he go conti if it was his.

Interestingly, you can’t seem to get the Eagle F1 Asym 6 in the front size, so that rules them out.

I was chatting to the tech and he asked what I’d be replacing them with, said contis or Michelins probably. He agreed said he go conti if it was his.

Interestingly, you can’t seem to get the Eagle F1 Asym 6 in the front size, so that rules them out.

Can get Supersports though.
ac38ecabef1d0297ee7759aa2de5cf44.jpg

Can get Supersports though.
ac38ecabef1d0297ee7759aa2de5cf44.jpg

Have been considering them but the Sport Contact 7s come out slightly cheaper and seem to come out better in most tests. All I want is a ‘decent’ tyre for the road but something that won’t melt after 3 laps, if I take it on track once in a blue moon.

Have been considering them but the Sport Contact 7s come out slightly cheaper and seem to come out better in most tests. All I want is a ‘decent’ tyre for the road but something that won’t melt after 3 laps, if I take it on track once in a blue moon.

Apparently they make the 8Y tramline all over the shop

Apparently they make the 8Y tramline all over the shop

Spoke to Ben from Evil GT, running Contis on his. Rates them, no issues, had them on track etc.

Spoke to Ben from Evil GT, running Contis on his. Rates them, no issues, had them on track etc.

Not sure whether applicable to the Conti 7s, but our Cupra Borns came on self seal Conti 6 and they were shockingly thin, making them very susceptible to puncture. 2 punctures in 6 months (and they didn't seal). When the first tyre went flat, I was surprised at the lack of material, folded up under the wheel when parked. It was more like a thick balloon than a tyre. They performed fine though when not punctured.

That’s a reason right there not to buy them.

• Haha
Reactions: davc and flybynite
I've never had a Michelin tyre that I was impressed with. They seem to be very hyped up for no reason.

PS4Ss are hyped up - they ruined my F80 M3.

PSSs however, best tyre ever made.

If you do go PS4Ss then it would definitely be worth seeing if you can get them in BMW * rated as they have stronger sidewalls.

Reactions: garethdj