Off to view another possible B7 this week, uttermadness.

Charlie Farley

Chilling out.
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Still have the RS4 itch and just can't shift it.
Despite making the decision last year to "not" look at one with a view purchase, yes i am....lol
A nice one in grey and only 45 mins away, so it would be a waste to not have a snoop .

One previous owner too, not that really makes a difference as my B7 Avant was a one-owner car with 29k when I bought it, and all the hassles that followed.

Anyway, it's nice drive out one day this week, what is the worse that can happen....:whistle2:

Reactions: Rob Avant, tr7, Gmac and 1 other person
MOT history check pings up a few things to consider.

Kinda goes with the age of the car though, nothing out of the blue to be honest and pretty-well to be expected with a 15 year old B7, would be better if they werent there but not the end of the world and a very doable DIY repair.
Very few B7's whatever the variant will get to 100K without having those issues and more sooner or later when running the original factory fit parts.
I've seen worse advisories recently so not to worried but does make haggling more possible. :icon thumright:
Need to see what's been done engine maintenance wise really as that is critical, a deal breaker .

Reactions: Gmac and 8YARWY
Kinda goes with the age of the car though, nothing out of the blue to be honest and pretty-well to be expected with a 15 year old B7, would be better if they werent there but not the end of the world and a very doable DIY repair.
Very few B7's whatever the variant will get to 100K without having those issues and more sooner or later when running the original factory fit parts.
I've seen worse advisories recently so not to worried but does make haggling more possible. :icon thumright:
Need to see what's been done engine maintenance wise really as that is critical, a deal breaker .

I’ve never had advisories on anything, but I prefer to keep on top of things rather than let them slide / get any worse.
Did start looking at these as a RS3 replacement simply because a well looked after one is an investment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Charlie Farley
Ive been bitten on the backside before with the B7 S4 caper 6 months ago
I’ve never had advisories on anything, but I prefer to keep on top of things rather than let them slide / get any worse.
Did start looking at these as a RS3 replacement simply because a well looked after one is an investment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My old B7 avant bus has been pretty good MOT wise over the 9 years of my ownership and a clean slate for the last 4 years , its not so much the milage but the age, a bit like life...lol

Reactions: 8YARWY
The Road tax on the big V8 is a bit of a kick in privates though.:wtf:

That aside the B7 RS4 is still one heck of a car for the money these days, a quality build that audi seems to have slipped away from these days.

Reactions: 8YARWY
We all have our favorites, i'm just drawn to B7 RS4 like a moth to a flame, I just cant help myself. :icon thumright:

Reactions: NM07
We all have our favorites, i'm just drawn to B7 RS4 like a moth to a flame, I just cant help myself. :icon thumright:
Me too, I cant quite shake off the '''no harm in looking on pistonheads and autotrader ' :) I was even looking at some this morning when I should have been working , saw a tasty example in blue but must resist. Hope you have fun when you go to look at it

They are cracking looking motors. Remember test driving one when they first came out. Took Yeovil Audi’s demonstrator out. Felt very planted and well built. Would love to have one in the garage too. Just zero spare cash atm. They’re about as cheap as they’ll get now too i reckon. If kept well, you’ll certainly not lose money on one.

Exciting stuff Rob, I would adore a B7 RS4, and time is running out to own a car with a big V8 as everything is downsizing or going electric.

Let us know how it goes!

Would the bus stay if you got the RS4? Or would you sell it to replenish the bank account?

Thanks for the replies guys.
It's one of those things, I've always wanted one but either just missed the right one or it wasn't the right time financially, not that it is now either to be honest.
I've kinda started to rethink life a bit more now and what I'd like to get from the time left.

I'll never have the funds I had in the past and what with the pension pot shrinking this may be the last chance to get one, who knows.
I'm going to free up some funds by selling a few motorsport bits and bobs collected over the years, probably get a few pounds, and better than sitting in the garage never seeing the light of day.

I won't be selling the old bus, that is one thing that will always be on the driveway:thumbs up:
Whatever happens, if this one is worth it or not, or if I find another one, I'm sure I won't lose out in the future if I need to part ways with it .

Normally I spend too long looking to justify buying another car or bike and it all just goes tits up, I think it is about to change.

So change is a foot , just a case of what it will be.:yahoo:

Reactions: boffin486, Sandra and NM07
Other commitments early this week will mean a Friday or Sat viewing now, it's looking nice weather until next week so that will be a bonus to see it in the sunlight. :thumbs up:

Reactions: boffin486, B7Tourer, NM07 and 1 other person
The B7 RS4 is definitely a future classic and I would love one too - the best looking RS4 IMV, with the best quality interior. It's seriously on my radar too. Looking forward to hear what you find Rob.

Reactions: Charlie Farley and NM07
Still popping in here now n again Rob so drop me a message if you need to know anything before viewing etc .

Good luck, I definitely see the appeal of an RS4 but I wouldn't sell your SE to do it

The RS4 is a second car at this point unless you're especially partial to it, and usually in those cases those people are running newer expensive to run dailys rather than older ones

Love them, but I think you're perfect for a DTM and keep that Avant SE for daily duties

Love them, but I think you're perfect for a DTM and keep that Avant SE for daily duties
When you see this the heart says otherwise, ha ha: . This example apparently owned and maintained by Audi themselves.

• Love
Reactions: Rob Avant and Charlie Farley
That sums up why i have always wanted one, epic.
But it also says a lot about the B7 in its other forms, great cars, and very underrated.
Long live the B7, hurah.

Reactions: boffin486, B7Tourer, Sandra and 1 other person
The B7 RS4 is a beautiful thing... I have thought many, many times about selling up the old boats and investing in one. Still might in the next couple of years. The sound of that V8 is intoxicating and it’s practical enough to still take the family on holiday

Reactions: boffin486, B7Tourer and Charlie Farley
When you see this the heart says otherwise, ha ha: . This example apparently owned and maintained by Audi themselves.

Watching this just makes me want one even more now :hubbahubba:

Reactions: NM07, B7Tourer and Sandra
I think a few of us are living vicariously through you Rob with this potential RS4 :smiley:

Reactions: B7Tourer and Charlie Farley
I think a few of us are living vicariously through you Rob with this potential RS4 :smiley:
Its either that or I will now be looking at my savings and think why the hell not , probably never get to own or drive a V8 :)

Reactions: B7Tourer and Charlie Farley
A slight delay in viewing it today as originally planned, we had an emergency visit to the vets today which took priority over the RS full stop for the day and weekend.
Thankfully the big old woofer will be ok for a bit longer with the help of more deep wallet visits, but he's worth it.

So rescheduled for Tuesday now, there is always something crops up.
Also have another to view next week to compare whats on offer and in the flesh condition. :icon thumright:
It is something I need to do now one way or the other , if not it will never happen.

Reactions: Dan_G and B7Tourer
After a chat with the garage on the service history, its had a lot done inc a new clutch not so long ago which is a real bonus along with a fair few other bits.
Unclear on a decoke though, will need to look into that a bit more.

So it sounds promising at this point and worth a trip out and test drive.

Reactions: B7Tourer
Also have another to view next week to compare whats on offer and in the flesh condition. :icon thumright:
It is something I need to do now one way or the other , if not it will never happen.
One or other has your name written on them! Glad the dog is good and as NM07 said you are living our dreams, Rob.

After a chat with the garage on the service history, its had a lot done inc a new clutch not so long ago which is a real bonus along with a fair few other bits.
Unclear on a decoke though, will need to look into that a bit more.

So it sounds promising at this point and worth a trip out and test drive.

How much is a decoke? The walnut shell one?

I'm not sure , probably around the £1k mark for the V8 lump.

And then there is the V8 camchains / tensioners that can be troublesome, not seen much about it on the RS4 side of things but been there with the S4 V8 .:crying:

If my memory serves right, the RS4 chains and tensioners are far less troublesome, as they have a revised design over the S4 units. The RS4 lump has quite a few modernisations over the S4 lump.

I'll do some digging for you Rob.

From a thread I saw on PistonHeads:
The FSI/direct injection versions of the V8 don't appear to suffer chain issues.

B7 S4 = old 'normal' 4.2 344 PS, indirect injection, can suffer chain issues.
B7 RS4 = Newer FSI/direction injection 420PS, chains seem to behave.
B8 S5 = Newer FSI/direction injection 4.2 354PS, chains seem to behave.

There is a small amount of crossover in that I think the first 4.2 FSI went into the Q7 (2006) at which time the S4 was still using the older engine.

A thread on Reddit indicates that RS4 guides are actually metal, rather than the plastic ones on the S4, meaning they are pretty much bullet proof:

If I was in your position Rob (wish I was!) I wouldn't be worried about chains and tensioners if I were buying an RS4. On the other hand, I wouldn't really consider an S4 unless it had it's guides upgrades to RS4 metal ones, otherwise its engine out job to do the chains and tensioner and £££.

From a thread I saw on PistonHeads:

A thread on Reddit indicates that RS4 guides are actually metal, rather than the plastic ones on the S4, meaning they are pretty much bullet proof:

If I was in your position Rob (wish I was!) I wouldn't be worried about chains and tensioners if I were buying an RS4. On the other hand, I wouldn't really consider an S4 unless it had it's guides upgrades to RS4 metal ones, otherwise its engine out job to do the chains and tensioner and £££.

Many thanks for the info chap, thats one big worry less then, I really didn't fancy another S4 fiasco as I had back in December.

Reactions: NM07
I was chatting with a friend about the subject and how it may be a good time to buy, he thought it was good plan and the prices are not really that much on the scale of things.
Based on the £16k avant , it sounds like a lot of cash, well it is a fair bit, but its a lot of car for the money given how much other cars are now, and a lot are rubbish anyway.

Reactions: quattrogone, B7Tourer and NM07