36 Hours later... shes going back to the dealership.... gutted.. (Airbag light issue)

Terri

Reaction score
I am completely gutted....
Worried also, picked the car up on Sat - Drove it home about 80miles, parked it up, came out to have a play with the MMI settings for audio etc, hit the start button, nothing happened and the dash lit up like christmas... the hubby came out and i was like WTF... has happened here, he suggested get out lock her up and try again which we did with no luck... left her 30 mins and she finally started... but since she has has the Safety system fault airbag error on the screen,
Audi assitance have been out and they couldnt find any faults logged but could see it on the dash (which we also checked as we have VDCS and OBD11) but the error remains, so the car has to be recovered back to the dealership...
It really has taken all the joy out of the car...

• Wow
Reactions: RS03???, kayemill and Daggerit
I maintain my stance, Audi have real issues with software capabilities these days.

Reactions: Charlie Farley and 8YARWY
I am completely gutted....
Worried also, picked the car up on Sat - Drove it home about 80miles, parked it up, came out to have a play with the MMI settings for audio etc, hit the start button, nothing happened and the dash lit up like christmas... the hubby came out and i was like WTF... has happened here, he suggested get out lock her up and try again which we did with no luck... left her 30 mins and she finally started... but since she has has the Safety system fault airbag error on the screen,
Audi assitance have been out and they couldnt find any faults logged but could see it on the dash (which we also checked as we have VDCS and OBD11) but the error remains, so the car has to be recovered back to the dealership...
It really has taken all the joy out of the car...
Hopefully they'll sort it for you quickly and manage to sort you with a replacement car in the meantime. Audi assistance are pretty good at getting a car from a hire company for you if they don't have one ready to go at the dealership.

My car actually arrived off the back of the delivery truck with a shredded alternator belt so I didn't even get to drive it until that was replaced, no idea how that was missed at PDI... Thankfully they managed to get it turned around in a couple of days so that I could drive the brand new car. Haha.

Reactions: Terri
I maintain my stance, Audi have real issues with software capabilities these days.
Your not wrong there, it makes me feel sick at the thought my brand new car has to be put on a recovery vehicle and taken 80miles and back without me there, but i just dont have the time or ability to get it back to Belfast and Audi assistance advised i didnt drive as in the case of an accident there is a chance the airbags wouldnt deploy....

Agreed, but I have always bought the last of the old ones, not the first of the new ones. Always served me well. That is why I am sticking to the 8V for now.

Reactions: Phil1974 and Mr Freeze
I think its just luck of the draw sometimes.
My 8v was in & out the Dealership quite a few times for squeaky brakes and warped wavy discs.
That got very frustrating at the time but eventually got sorted when they finally fitted the circular discs.
My 8y was pretty much fault free for the year I owned it and was one of the early cars in the Country @ December 21.

Reactions: Terri, NevMan and Daggerit
@Terri gutted for you. We had a Porsche Macan that had a fault on the steering column when my wife was driving, lost power steering completely. We had it recovered and ended up rejecting the car at three weeks old with 500 miles on it as she had lost all faith that it wouldn’t do it again. I would suggest that you check your options and decide what you want to do.

Thanks for the replies folks, she arrived at Audi yesterday and they have bumped her up the list as my sales exec rang me in a panic when he seen it arrive on the low loader...
I am a bit disheartened by the whole thing and deffo wary about what happens if this happens again... im really hoping they can diagnose and let me know what the issue was and tell me it wont happen again.
Is there a time period for rejecting the car if your not happy that its satisfactory??
Enterprise gave me an XC90 3l D to drive and i have to say its no RS3 but its lovely to drive nippy enough and tons of room.

Reactions: kayemill
Thanks for the replies folks, she arrived at Audi yesterday and they have bumped her up the list as my sales exec rang me in a panic when he seen it arrive on the low loader...
I am a bit disheartened by the whole thing and deffo wary about what happens if this happens again... im really hoping they can diagnose and let me know what the issue was and tell me it wont happen again.
Is there a time period for rejecting the car if your not happy that its satisfactory??
Enterprise gave me an XC90 3l D to drive and i have to say its no RS3 but its lovely to drive nippy enough and tons of room.
I know you have a period to reject the car, I just can't remember what it is.

I thought similar when mine arrived already broken but stuck with it and have had no issues with it since, so give it the benefit of the doubt unless something else goes wrong. It could be as simple as a connector not being seated correctly and popping out or something, rather than a big issue. :)

I know you have a period to reject the car, I just can't remember what it is.

I thought similar when mine arrived already broken but stuck with it and have had no issues with it since, so give it the benefit of the doubt unless something else goes wrong. It could be as simple as a connector not being seated correctly and popping out or something, rather than a big issue. :)
Im praying that is the issue... it was just very weird that despite the error being there for such a long time there were no faults found.
Got a notificaiton this morning through my audi that Theft and location have triggered an alarm... so looks like someone got into work early to work on her :)

Reactions: Daggerit
@Terri this is a good read for you to consider your options. Don’t be too hasty to reject but ultimately you need to feel comfortable that the issue has been fixed.

When I picked mine up a warning of some sort of filter issue came up. The message said driving would clear it and it did. Been enjoying it ever since.
I'm sure yours will be fine.

We had exactly the same with our S3 - turned out it was a doggy bag in the drivers door not plugged in.

OK folks so update and i want some opinions-
Low voltage is the only thing thaat they can find (hence the airbag light not turning out its something to do with safety), they had to charge the battery on Tuesday night, and were asking me if was sat in the vehicle for a long period of time with the MMI on but i literally got into the car hadnt figured out how to turn the MMI on without the ignition at that point and tried to start it so deffo wasnt anything i had done, they said when they PDI the car the battery was fine and i had just driven it 80miles or so home so im not really understanding the low voltage which they are trying to say was down to either me or the detailer running the battery down...
Could this be right? It just doesnt stack up to me? our detailer is not in the habit of using customer cars for audio or the likes.
They are keeping the car till friday to see if it re-occurs but aside from that thats all they could tell me.

Low voltage is the only thing thaat they can find (hence the airbag light not turning out its something to do with safety), they had to charge the battery on Tuesday night, and were asking me if was sat in the vehicle for a long period of time with the MMI on but i literally got into the car hadnt figured out how to turn the MMI on without the ignition at that point and tried to start it so deffo wasnt anything i had done, they said when they PDI the car the battery was fine and i had just driven it 80miles or so home so im not really understanding the low voltage which they are trying to say was down to either me or the detailer running the battery down...
Could this be right? It just doesnt stack up to me? our detailer is not in the habit of using customer cars for audio or the likes.
They are keeping the car till friday to see if it re-occurs but aside from that thats all they could tell me.

start at incompetent and work up when it comes to dealer “techs” I’m afraid.

I know when I was trying to sort out my settings and the myAudi set up I spent ages sat in car with engine running and finally discovered that I could access infotainment with ignition on (ie half a press of stop/start (equivalent of half a turn with a key on old cars). But the problem with this half way position…it activates electrical circuits but it will drain the battery.
However I don’t have a timeframe on the power drain. So I used that option as little as possible.

just reread your original post and you drove it hope parkedthen came out and that was when you saw fault. That is v. Annoying as you didn’t have any time playing with settings.

the old solution to sort a battery was go for a (reasonable) long run to charge up battery (and use minimal electric power). That has sorted me previously with a car and battery…but tech has moved on and they do battery conditioners that would save you the fuel.

anyway apologies if this is no help and probably stuff you already knew, just trying to offer an angle, hopefully it is nothing more than low battery and once charged there are no further issues for you.

I know when I was trying to sort out my settings and the myAudi set up I spent ages sat in car with engine running and finally discovered that I could access infotainment with ignition on (ie half a press of stop/start (equivalent of half a turn with a key on old cars). But the problem with this half way position…it activates electrical circuits but it will drain the battery.
However I don’t have a timeframe on the power drain. So I used that option as little as possible.

just reread your original post and you drove it hope parkedthen came out and that was when you saw fault. That is v. Annoying as you didn’t have any time playing with settings.

the old solution to sort a battery was go for a (reasonable) long run to charge up battery (and use minimal electric power). That has sorted me previously with a car and battery…but tech has moved on and they do battery conditioners that would save you the fuel.

anyway apologies if this is no help and probably stuff you already knew, just trying to offer an angle, hopefully it is nothing more than low battery and once charged there are no further issues for you.
Some of this I am aware of but the half push I wasn’t so thanks!
however yeah I’m in the same mind as you if I had just driven it 80 miles would the low voltage issue not have come up prior to that drive when it was being driven the short distance from detailer back to dealership for photos, I’d have expected it then but not after an 80 mile journey..

I’ll hear more from them tomorrow so let’s see.
Today I could t get my Audi app to connect to the car so I’m praying it hasn’t lost battery again.. but there does seem to be connection issues with the myAudi app.

Some of this I am aware of but the half push I wasn’t so thanks!, Bu
however yeah I’m in the same mind as you if I had just driven it 80 miles would the low voltage issue not have come up prior to that drive when it was being driven the short distance from detailer back to dealership for photos, I’d have expected it then but not after an 80 mile journey..

I’ll hear more from them tomorrow so let’s see.
Today I could t get my Audi app to connect to the car so I’m praying it hasn’t lost battery again.. but there does seem to be connection issues with the myAudi app.
Not sure if it helps, BUT we had a LR and at 18 months old the battery kept dropping charge and driving it didn't really help. The symptoms were systems shutting down, in that instance it was the power tailgate, then as the battery depleted the Climate system shut down and the stop/start never worked, as if the car was going into self preservation. This caused LR a right head ache (6 visits, totalling 35+days) In the end a super tech was sent from the factory. The fault was found to be the locking motor(I think they called it pulled down motor) on the power tailgate, it was locking but not making the position switch. As such it spent 24/7 energising that motor even when the vehicle was off. No faults were ever logged on the ECU and they actually found it by chance, the tailgate was never checked as during the visits they logged the low battery reading and assumed the tailgate wasn't working because of that, and always preceeded down other avenues.

@Terri I hope that it’s as simple as a low battery, for whatever reason and a good charge sorts it for you. Mine has sat on my drive for 2 weeks without moving and the battery hasn’t discharged to the point of causing system failures. Best of luck

Seems odd because the car will turn off non critical systems like the MMI to conserve power to run the engine if it detects the battery is running low. My completely uneducated diagnosis is that the battery is completely shagged and a charge won’t sort it completely or it’s something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As mentioned, earlier posts, intelligence is built in to shutdown or put into sleep mode, devices which are draining power to extend whatever energy is left in the battery.
This is where VCD like device is useful to check what has errored and record. Alternatively, good old DVM across the battery terminal will also indicate.of there is an unexpected drain pattern.

Not sure about Audi changing the battery, not unless is was upto spec some how.

With ref to detailer, mine did not use the car's audio, however, they do leave all the doors open, while laying the ppf film and on mine. I was able to monitor the battery voltage remotely via the Pandora app, which prompted me to make a call to the detailer, on which, they clipped on a trickle charger.
So "may be possible", the battery drain while at the detailer.

So Audi have just called me they did a final fault check this morning before sending it home to me with “no issues” and it turns out there is a fault with the battery management control unit.. so they are sending the info off to Audi now… not sure why they just can’t fix it… but hey ho, looks like the XC90 will be with me a little longer!

Reactions: garethdj
So Audi have just called me they did a final fault check this morning before sending it home to me with “no issues” and it turns out there is a fault with the battery management control unit.. so they are sending the info off to Audi now… not sure why they just can’t fix it… but hey ho, looks like the XC90 will be with me a little longer!

Probably need to get the work approved by Audi before fixing it.

Fair… tho I’d have thought with a brand new car it would just be get it fixed.

Depends if the Tech used Odis guided fault finding and if he interpreted the results from it properly.
Odis guided fault finding is great at some things but on other stuff it depends on the info the user inputs into it.

Fair… tho I’d have thought with a brand new car it would just be get it fixed.

Yeah understand what you’re saying but in my experience anything significant always needs manufacturer approval before work is carried out because that’s who picks up the cost, not the dealer. Hope you get sorted.

Dealer techs :sadlike:
They noticed on my Golf R when in for servicing that the revesing camera view had lines on the screen, no lines in any other mode though, so they ordered a new screen MMI unit (it was the larger uprated screen) they then gave me the car back with the lines still on the screen when in reverse.........................I had to point this out to them and they then ordered a reverse camera, no common sense at all :tearsofjoy:

I think its probably unreasonable to think that everything is always going to be 100% fault free on a new car within the first few weeks/months, especially with the vast number of ecu's etc
I also think it's reasonable to expect the dealership to be able to rectify any of these faults in a timely manner :)