Navigation speech mute?

JKP

Reaction score
I just bought the try-out of navigation and virtual cockpit for a month via FOD. I've used Google Maps via Apple CarPlay for a long time as a navigator. I don't like the spoken instructions at all, I just look at the graphics for routing. How can I mute the voice instructions of Audi navigator? I've searched through the settings and also the manual, but I haven't found that anywhere. There must be at least a volume control for the navigator voice, so I think I sholud be allowed to mute it as well. So where do I find that?

Set a destination and as soon as the spoken directions start turn the volume down. On the mmi it will say spoken volume rather than entertainment volume.

Reactions: JKP
I just bought the try-out of navigation and virtual cockpit for a month via FOD. I've used Google Maps via Apple CarPlay for a long time as a navigator. I don't like the spoken instructions at all, I just look at the graphics for routing. How can I mute the voice instructions of Audi navigator? I've searched through the settings and also the manual, but I haven't found that anywhere. There must be at least a volume control for the navigator voice, so I think I sholud be allowed to mute it as well. So where do I find that?
There should be an option in the navigation settings menu for voice instructions off, brief or full (IIRC).

There should be an option in the navigation settings menu for voice instructions off, brief or full (IIRC).
And so there was, I finally figured it out today. It was actually translated to Finnish so weirdly, that I thought this setting would only affect on traffic info, rerouting and stuff like that.

Now I have another question. After installing the navigation license, MMI went bonkers and the car gave me the SOS malfunction message, for the first time ever... That should've been solved for cars this new, right? After rebooting the MMI, it's been without other problems, but the navigation reloads itself sometimes. Is that normal, or should I visit the dealer to fix that?

And so there was, I finally figured it out today. It was actually translated to Finnish so weirdly, that I thought this setting would only affect on traffic info, rerouting and stuff like that.

Now I have another question. After installing the navigation license, MMI went bonkers and the car gave me the SOS malfunction message, for the first time ever... That should've been solved for cars this new, right? After rebooting the MMI, it's been without other problems, but the navigation reloads itself sometimes. Is that normal, or should I visit the dealer to fix that?
Glad you found it :icon thumright:

The Nav function should now be pretty much rock solid, as of a year ago. Assuming that when you say “reloading” you are describing an MMI reboot, that is not normal. (At least not in the U.K. and not for a car with the Nav function enabled in the factory).

PS: Just in case it’s useful to know, I have mapped the Nav Voiceover on/off function to the Star button on the steering wheel.

Reactions: JKP and JontyMort
The Nav function should now be pretty much rock solid, as of a year ago. Assuming that when you say “reloading” you are describing an MMI reboot, that is not normal. (At least not in the U.K. and not for a car with the Nav function enabled in the factory).
Ok, thanks. So it's another visit to the dealer then, I guess. When "reloading", the MMI screen goes black and says "loading personal settings" and the nav screen between the dials disappears and there comes a text saying "initializing navigator" or something, I'm not sure what's the exact word the English operating system is using there. Thank god the dials stay whatever happens. That's been a pretty quick reload every time, not as long as the whole MMI boot, but it's somehow allways happening right when you'd need the navigation instructions most.

Ok, thanks. So it's another visit to the dealer then, I guess. When "reloading", the MMI screen goes black and says "loading personal settings" and the nav screen between the dials disappears and there comes a text saying "initializing navigator" or something, I'm not sure what's the exact word the English operating system is using there. Thank god the dials stay whatever happens. That's been a pretty quick reload every time, not as long as the whole MMI boot, but it's somehow allways happening right when you'd need the navigation instructions most.
I can confirm that I do not see that on my car and I use the Nav function on every journey (the mild hybrid car seems to make better coast/regen decisions when it knows where it’s going).

Ok, good to know, I booked the dealer for next Tuesday.

I also noticed the MHEV is doing better when using the navigator, it even slows down automatically quite nicely when approaching roundabouts. My old car did better without the nav, the current one basically just coasts every time I lift the accelerator pedal while the old one used much more regen.

Reactions: AdamInKent
Visited the dealer. They had no solution to the reloading problem, just told to come back if it gets worse. I hope not, I have a longer trip coming, and well-mannered navigator will be useful. The major problem is the MMI screen also going blank while reloading, so also Google Maps via Smartphone Interface is out during that.