Q5 Q5 Pre Sensor Fault

leviq5

Reaction score
Hi all, my father owns a Q5 and for the past year we've had pre sensor faults, however, last August/September the car started locking all brakes which nearly killed me. We notified Audi multiple times and we never found a solution due to ignorance. During that time whilst on a road trip abroad out windscreen was smashed by someone with a crystal glass cup so we had to change the windscreen on the spot with a 3rd party garage (non-Audi garage). Now Audi states due to the windscreen not being "genuine" a.k.a not from one of their suppliers they will not be able to recalibrate the pre sense cameras although I am willing to pay the costs.

In this case, what will be the best solution? As they do not seem to understand that the brakes locking nearly cost my life as the car started swerving at a 90 degree angle whilst driving at 20-30 MPH and that this issue was prior to our windscreen change. I am located in the UK.

Last edited:
Audi Pre-Sense is a safety system that seems to closer to causing an accident than preventing one.

In the Assistance Systems bit of MMI change the Pre-Sense warning to 'Late'. It will still work but leave it to the last possible moment, in the real world unless the driver isn't paying attention. This will likely fix the issue and Audi lose revenue as a result.

Audi Pre-Sense is a safety system that seems to closer to causing an accident than preventing one.

In the Assistance Systems bit of MMI change the Pre-Sense warning to 'Late'. It will still work but leave it to the last possible moment, in the real world unless the driver isn't paying attention. This will likely fix the issue and Audi lose revenue as a result.
All brakes locked on an empty road whilst cruising at around 20 MPH. Also, the pre-sensor fault has been on for 8+ months now on the vehicle. I can't get rid of the dashboard warning without them fixing it internally.

Non OEM glass can cause issues with calibrations but does not prevent them. Go to auto glass or any good windscreen replacement company with ADAS kit and get a calibration done.

Reactions: NHN
All brakes locked on an empty road whilst cruising at around 20 MPH. Also, the pre-sensor fault has been on for 8+ months now on the vehicle. I can't get rid of the dashboard warning without them fixing it internally.
Yes, been there. The system seems to sense something unseen, the 2018 B9 RS4 I had was terrible for it, I only learned how to overcome the issue after I sold it (kept for just 6 months). The current F3 RSQ3 also has Pre-sense, set to 'Late' it works as intended - you have nothing to lose in changing the setting yourself.

Audi are just being sticky, as advised it can cause issues but it should be possible & they can still attempt & more than likely complete the calibration, unfortunately some dealers are a little, how can I put it, difficult......

Reactions: cosmicblue