Engine Ticking...

Anyname

Reaction score
My car's still fairly new, only covered around 600 miles but I've noticed a strange 'ticking' sounds coming from the engine after it's warm and been driven spiritedly (still staying under 5,500 rpm). When the engine is cold/warming up there's no ticking, but after its been driven a litle harder, with the windows down around 2,000 rpm I can hear it - almost like there's a stone in one of the tyres but the sound is linked to engine speed not road speed.

Any ideas, do all RS3s sound like this??

What gear and speed are usually you doing when you hear it? 0r just 2000 rpm in any gear and speed?

Can hear it most in 2nd and a little but in 3rd but think it just becomes harder to hear as you're travelling faster. Can hear it more when driving next to walls/more enclosed roads etc

Reactions: nrs3
Mate I think that is the noise you hear when passing objects with the windows down, like hearing a fast ticktickticktick sound when the window is down when passing parked cars in a street for example? I think it’s to do with the car noise rebounding off different objects and getting back to your ears once passing them.
I had this badly in my fiat 500 and thought it was the engine but was just the car noise passing objects. I’ll see if I can hear it today in the rs3 when I’m out.

Reactions: Anyname
Hopefully thats it - just seems a little strange it's more pronounced when the engine is hotter

Can hear it most in 2nd and a little but in 3rd but think it just becomes harder to hear as you're travelling faster. Can hear it more when driving next to walls/more enclosed roads etc
I have the exacr same thing... I was told not to worry by many so I'm just going to listen to them and seevwhats up after my 1k is done and I take in fir service

I have the exacr same thing... I was told not to worry by many so I'm just going to listen to them and seevwhats up after my 1k is done and I take in fir service
At least its not just me then! You must be as similarly anal as me too!!

I can hear ticking on start up but to be honest it’s just a characteristic of the engine I assume.

probably more noticeable now as GPF makes these more quiet on the exhaust side.

I can hear ticking on start up but to be honest it’s just a characteristic of the engine I assume.

probably more noticeable now as GPF makes these more quiet on the exhaust side.

I used to get the start up ticking, only used to hear it with door open / window down.

Lasted about 5 -10 secs after the engine 1st fired up.

I did think it was similar to the warm up phase from the Daza days just not as loud or long.

Could’ve been something else though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to get the start up ticking, only used to hear it with door open / window down.

I did think it was similar to the warm up phase from the Daza days just not as loud or long.

Have you noticed not while driving if the engine is warm? Has to be in an echoey road so I'm probably reading too much into it

same only with window down on the cold start. Cold start is noticeably longer than Daza, sure does take a while along with the weird driving characteristics when cold.

Would assume its injectors, most performance engines tend to be noisy on start up.

Not saying I’m an expert, just going by experience with other vehicles I’ve owned.

What you hear is a gri-gri-gri-gri through the driver's window? as if you come from the left side of the engine compartment? The same thing happens to me, it can be heard when passing near other parked cars or walls, it must be normal.

Audis 2.5 engine is a noisy devil once you take away the over riding exhaust noise from the rear.
Direct injection is quiet to begin with.

Audis 2.5 engine is a noisy devil once you take away the over riding exhaust noise from the rear.
Direct injection is quiet to begin with.

Was wondering whether it could be injectors - got it booked in with Audi but they haven't got a slot for another month! Also need a software update or something as tbe drive mode on the MMI doesn't match what it says on the dash...

Was wondering whether it could be injectors - got it booked in with Audi but they haven't got a slot for another month! Also need a software update or something as tbe drive mode on the MMI doesn't match what it says on the dash...

Lol just realised the error in my post.

Direct injection Is NOT quiet to begin with.

My car's still fairly new, only covered around 600 miles but I've noticed a strange 'ticking' sounds coming from the engine after it's warm and been driven spiritedly (still staying under 5,500 rpm). When the engine is cold/warming up there's no ticking, but after its been driven a litle harder, with the windows down around 2,000 rpm I can hear it - almost like there's a stone in one of the tyres but the sound is linked to engine speed not road speed.

Any ideas, do all RS3s sound like this??
I have this noise and I’m 4 months/3000 miles in now, doesn’t sound good but so far I’ve assumed it’s just a characteristic of the engine. Oil level is absolutely perfect so hopefully nothing to worry about.

To me, it sounded like the flywheel, it does different noises if the car is in Park or Drive... YMMV

If its a clicking from inside the bonnet infront of the driver on a RHD car then I feel like I went down this route before, EVAP Canister or something similar maybe, fuel pump?

I forget now but I was told lol. How accurate that infor was is anyone's guess though.

If its a clicking from inside the bonnet infront of the driver on a RHD car then I feel like I went down this route before, EVAP Canister or something similar maybe, fuel pump?

I forget now but I was told lol. How accurate that infor was is anyone's guess though.
Got thr car booked in with Audi later this month so will see what they say

Reactions: Daggerit