Cluster Needles - Potential Upgrade

NM07

Reaction score
Hi all,

In my journey so far to make the cluster in my B7 a little more modern, I've replaced the gauge fascia with the newer one in the Exeo, which made a really good difference. I've always wanted to replace the needles in the cluster as they look very basic compared to the more modern Audi needles which have metal trim on them.

Well after doing some digging, I found the A6 C6 (same generation as our B7) had a cluster facelift during its production run. The earlier clusters were very similar to the B7, same needles, same rough layout, same screen design:

The facelift version however got nice fresh needles with metal trim:

Given the original version shared the B7 needles, I heavily suspect the facelift version needles are a drop in replacement. I've ordered a cluster off eBay with the facelift needles and will be doing some experimenting next week.

I did a quick Photoshop to see what it would look like on my B7 cluster on the rev counter and speedo needles (apologies for poor quality, was a quick job!)

IMG 2368 sml

Huge improvement in my opinion, gives the needles a nice centre point rather than just the red sections floating without a base like it is stock.

Once I receive the A6 cluster and rip it apart to compare, I'll post findings!

Last edited:
Reactions: tr7, Charlie Farley, NHN and 1 other person
Just on a side note but dash related, how does one remove the clear plastic dash cover .
Mine has a fair bit of dust inside which is starting to build up a bit.

cheers
rob

Both my B7's did too Rob, it seems the clusters aren't very well sealed from factory and always accumulate dust. Drove me mad so had to sort it.

There was a good video on how to disassemble, let me find it for you chap.

Reactions: tr7 and Charlie Farley

There you go Rob, it's for a B6 cluster but steps are identical. Only thing that changed from B6 -> B7 cluster was the needles, and a few of the warning symbols had a different design.

Reactions: tr7 and Charlie Farley
While you've got the plastic cover off, give it a polish too, makes a difference :thumbs up:

Something like Dodo Juice Lime Prime of Meguiars PlastRX would be ideal, nothing too abrasive as the acrylic is very soft.

Reactions: Charlie Farley
And once you've got it open, might as well replace the fascia with the Exeo one Rob and do the needles too ;)

Reactions: Charlie Farley
I'll add all that to the never-ending list :icon thumright: .

thanks for the info link.:yes:

Reactions: NM07
Indeedy, and yes I know I said I wasn't doing anymore but I just could not help myself and gave into it..lol

• Love
Reactions: Gmac and NM07
I really really really like the idea of this. It touches all the right spots in my upgrade and OEM+ affliction lol

But I just can't come to live with the font in the cluster

If I could have the S4 cluster without the S4 logo I'd be very happy

Update on this chaps, unfortunately the needle stems from the A6 (the bit that slots onto the stepper motor) is much shorter, and of a different design to the B7, so this project is a non starter. A real shame as it would have been a lovely upgrade.

I really really really like the idea of this. It touches all the right spots in my upgrade and OEM+ affliction lol

But I just can't come to live with the font in the cluster

If I could have the S4 cluster without the S4 logo I'd be very happy

Agreed, an S4 cluster fascia in diesel form without the S4 badge would be perfect for me.

I do prefer my Exeo fascia over the standard B7 one however, the font is an almost perfect match for what Audi uses now in their digital displays:

Reactions: tr7
Oh I understand the thought behind it. And honestly it's one of the most unique mods/upgrades I've ever saw done in this B7 forum so all credit to you

I have an S4 cluster here and would just love it without a logo or at least the DTM logo in it's place