Steering Wheel Horn Cover

alpesh26

Reaction score
Was thinking about changing the horn cover to a leather one like the one in the pic below but not at the detriment of safety.

Question is, would something like this be safe should the airbag fire?

ABT do a similar thing for the TT (pic below) and it looks like the centre part of the horn has been left in the stock plastic (correct me if I'm wrong)

Link for bigger pic: https://www.abt-sportsline.com/audi-tuning/audi-ttrs#92327997!7267017

Airbag covers are designed to split in a specific way so that they don’t tear the airbag, and don’t project shrapnel into the occupant.

I’d be very wary buying anything other than Audi original as those ones will have been tested pretty thoroughly.

Reactions: alpesh26
I picked one up but haven't installed it yet. The way it's stitched makes it seem like it's designed to come apart like factory. I'll compare the 2 when I get it off.

Reactions: alpesh26
I picked one up but haven't installed it yet. The way it's stitched makes it seem like it's designed to come apart like factory. I'll compare the 2 when I get it off.
Would be appreciated if you could post some comparison pics.

Getting the airbag off the steering wheel is a pain in the a**!!

Would be appreciated if you could post some comparison pics.

Getting the airbag off the steering wheel is a pain in the a**!!
Well I accidentally ordered the cover for the FL and I have a PFL so it's going to be a while before I get the replacement. Getting it off is pretty easy if you use a mirror and a flathead screwdriver. Apparently it's easier to start on a specific side but I don't remember which side it was.

I fitted one to my car actually and I’m still really happy with it. I was initially concerned about the safety aspect of doing this type of “mod” but the new cover is the same as the old cover (same markings and stuff all inside). I’ve kept the original cover though if I want to revert back.

I fitted one to my car actually and I’m still really happy with it. I was initially concerned about the safety aspect of doing this type of “mod” but the new cover is the same as the old cover (same markings and stuff all inside). I’ve kept the original cover though if I want to revert back.

I knew i'd seen it on here somewhere! cheers