Oil in cylinder 1 - piston rings?

A10_HUY

Reaction score
Hi guys.

Bad day for me! Driving down the road then all of a sudden rough running on low revs flashing eml and EPC light, limped it a mile to mum's house where I have parked it up and plugged into vcds.

Cylinder 1 misfire
Cylinder 1 deactivated

Cleared codes, swapped coil pack restarted, struggled to start but did - fault carried on and stayed in cyl1

Pulled spark plug in cyl 1 to swap with 2 and found plug saturated in oil. Torch down plug slot and you can see oil dripping onto piston.

If it's dripping onto piston then surely it's from above.

Reactions: A10_HUY and Abi
Had the same issue couple of months ago with cyl 1 on cdl engine. Oil on spark plugs. Burning oil. Compression came 0 in cyl 1. Burned valve seats, worn guides and seals. Broken piston and rings.

Oh... That's not great! Doesn't fill with much hope haha! What was your solution? Rebuild or new engine?

If it's dripping onto piston then surely it's from above.
That was my first thought... I've been looking all over, unfortunately been stuck at work late today so haven't had chance for a compression test but I'm not too sure what that will tell me... I'm hoping that worst case it's the head as it will make my life a lot easier than pulling the engine to rebuild the bottom end, it's a lot of work to fit around my busy schedule but needs must I guess.. need to have a look with a bore scope really and see what happens next I guess

Oh... That's not great! Doesn't fill with much hope haha! What was your solution? Rebuild or new engine?
Had it since new. 65k miles on the engine. So i went for rebuild with forged parts.

Reactions: A10_HUY
Well today I was able to get back down mum's and take a proper look at what was going on, with a full assortment of tools required.

First thing was compression test, this came up trumps! 160psi on all cylinders. Which was very strange but reassuring none the less!

Managed to get some of the liquid out of the cylinder and properly inspect it and it is black petrol rather than oil, so I suspect it is carbon mixed with petrol instead of oil. On Tuesday when I pulled the plug it was poor weather conditions so I wasn't really able to tell.

After a bit more inspection it's turned out that my injector is stuck open luckily

Reactions: S.
Nice save. Get some fresh injectors asap.

Reactions: A10_HUY
Injectors replaced, found more issues including the world's most irresponsible bodge job ever!

All new injectors and repair kits, plus service kit and it's running much better (surprisingly it's louder too, which I'm not complaining about ) luckily having a brother in the busines meant I got all the parts at stock price thankfully!

Now back onto the original plans with this car again

Cheers for everyone's input it's appreciated

Reactions: S.