Dead starter? A3 FSI

Dansphotography

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone is able to make an educated guess at if my starter is the only issue here, I know it was on its way out and got it home a couple of times by hitting it but with it now cranking and clicking at the same time it had me wondering if there was something else? No codes on VAG on and no related previous issues only a intermittent brake light switch fault, waiting for the new starter and will know for sure.

Ideally remove starter & put 12 volts across it, with a sensible thickness of wire, jump leads connected of the battery would work, if it seems to work ok then could be flywheel.

Ideally remove starter & put 12 volts across it, with a sensible thickness of wire, jump leads connected of the battery would work, if it seems to work ok then could be flywheel.
Replaced starter and still no start, same clicking noise but faster now, even with booster attached! Flywheel teeth looked ok as far as I could see but clearly something isn’t connecting correctly.

Replaced starter and still no start, same clicking noise but faster now, even with booster attached! Flywheel teeth looked ok as far as I could see but clearly something isn’t connecting correctly.
Car will also jump forward whilst in gear and attempting to start so assuming starter is making contact?

Ideally remove starter & still have the wiring connected then touch the starter to the chassis to see if factory wiring is making it turn persistently, taking care not to short anything, be careful as it's getting negative connection just from bring bolted to the car, so don't touch anything else lol.

It's quite a whack when it runs so hold it tight.

If the flywheel has an issue then of course that will cause a feedback so to speak as it can't turn persistently.