Starter Motor DEAD.

Reaction score
Just had to call the AA as my car wouldn't start when finishing work. The guy told me the starter motor had gone. He gave me a jump start, but said once I turn the engine off, it won't start up again.

The last few months, my car has been choking longer than usual when starting it up in the morning. Wish I got round to getting it sorted earlier.

Any idea how much this will set me back? (2004 A3 TDi 2.0 Sport)

Okay, thanks.

I've just been to a garage, and he said he can supply and fit a refurbished one for £80. I may do that instead.

You can normally get a refurbed one on an exchange basis, anything between £60-£100.

Give NHN a PM for fitment questions Gee, he fitted mine when my start motor when he was doing work on the car for me

Just had to call the AA as my car wouldn't start when finishing work. The guy told me the starter motor had gone. He gave me a jump start, but said once I turn the engine off, it won't start up again.
I'm sorry, this does not compute.

If your starter motor is dead, a jump start won't work.

-Did you mean a PUSH-start?

If a jump start works, the problem lies elsewhere in your electrical system.

Thanks everyone. I'll PM him.

Yeah, I meant push-start, sorry. I'm going to have to do the same tomorrow to get the car off the driveway.

Refurbished motor and fitting for £80 sounds good to me.

Saves you having to buy one for £60 odd and crawling about in the cold trying to find where it is before you fit the new one.

Snap his hand off !!!