Retro fit RS Sports Exhaust

8BitWheels

Reaction score
Greetings.
I bought my FL 2017 RS last weekend from an independent dealer who listed it as having a sports exhaust. It wasn't until I got home that I noticed that the tips were chrome and now audi have confirmed it's not the sports exhaust. After agreeing some compensation, is it possible to buy a sports exhaust off ebay and simply switch them over. Do they just unbolt? I've seen some for about £400 - £500.
Thanks

Greetings.
I bought my FL 2017 RS last weekend from an independent dealer who listed it as having a sports exhaust. It wasn't until I got home that I noticed that the tips were chrome and now audi have confirmed it's not the sports exhaust. After agreeing some compensation, is it possible to buy a sports exhaust off ebay and simply switch them over. Do they just unbolt? I've seen some for about £400 - £500.
Thanks

Yup. Straight swap over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome.. thanks. I'll take a look.
does it matter if its for a saloon? Mines a sport back. I presume I need the back box and the smaller mufflers at the other end? they also no longer have that interconnecting small pipe do they of the FL.
Many thanks

I've just seen one on ebay from an 8Y. Don't suppose that would fit would it?

OK. Are the exhausts for the sport back and saloon the same? There's an 8v one from a saloon and mines a sport back.
Many thanks

I reckon they aren’t interchangeable as the saloon is slightly longer.

Weren't there some early FL Sports Exhausts that were chrome tip? Can't remember if that was only on the PFL though? if it is early 2017 it might be one of the first. Might be worth checking factory options first before going through the balls ache of swapping the exhaust.

does it matter if its for a saloon? Mines a sport back.

Lots of different part numbers for RS3 back boxes so I guess there are differences, As above saloon is longer but I'm happy to measure my saloon if it helps but would be safer to go for one off a SB I'm sure there will be one come up soon plenty putting aftermarket exhausts on, maybe worth asking some of the tuning places so see if someone is changing.

Weren't there some early FL Sports Exhausts that were chrome tip? Can't remember if that was only on the PFL though? if it is early 2017 it might be one of the first. Might be worth checking factory options first before going through the balls ache of swapping the exhaust.

Lots of different part numbers for RS3 back boxes so I guess there are differences, As above saloon is longer but I'm happy to measure my saloon if it helps but would be safer to go for one off a SB I'm sure there will be one come up soon plenty putting aftermarket exhausts on, maybe worth asking some of the tuning places so see if someone is changing.
Mine has the chrome tips and was registered October 2017. Audi have confirmed its not the Sports exhaust. I've just contacted a breaker, and he wants £1200 for the full exhaust, more that the option to have it in the first place. Ouch... I think I only need the Catback... There's another on ebay I've asked about to see if its from a SB.

Mine has the chrome tips and was registered October 2017. Audi have confirmed its not the Sports exhaust. I've just contacted a breaker, and he wants £1200 for the full exhaust, more that the option to have it in the first place. Ouch... I think I only need the Catback... There's another on ebay I've asked about to see if its from a SB.

You don’t need the full exhaust, just from the straights backwards.

Buy one from a SB then you know it’ll fit.

Hello,
Would someone mind looking at this. Its hard to tell what the condition of used exhausts are. I looked at mine whilst at Kwik Fit this morning and it looked clean.. well ish!

This is said to be a sport back sports exhaust.

Many Thanks

Hello,
Would someone mind looking at this. Its hard to tell what the condition of used exhausts are. I looked at mine whilst at Kwik Fit this morning and it looked clean.. well ish!

This is said to be a sport back sports exhaust.

Many Thanks

It’s never going to look A1 really, but at that price and how thin on the ground they are then maybe worth it.

You could clean it up a bit before fitment (re-spray tips gloss black) back box will polish up with a DA machine.

Just gotta hope the valves don’t rattle either.

It’s never going to look A1 really, but at that price and how thin on the ground they are then maybe worth it.

You could clean it up a bit before fitment (re-spray tips gloss black) back box will polish up with a DA machine.

Just gotta hope the valves don’t rattle either.

I was wondering about the possibility of refurbishing it.
There appears to be a number of dints in the pipes? Are they damage or are they there by design just down to how they're fitted?
There's also a whole above the left muffler. Is that normal?

Sorry for all the questions, but I hate to by a complete lemon!

Cheers

I was wondering about the possibility of refurbishing it.
There appears to be a number of dints in the pipes? Are they damage or are they there by design just down to how they're fitted?
There's also a whole above the left muffler. Is that normal?

Sorry for all the questions, but I hate to by a complete lemon!

Cheers

InDents are there from new.

The holes appear to be in a bracket that’s welded on each bullet silencer see another below

490de6494491763910a44a6b0552ee03.jpg

Ahh, thanks for that...

This is mine.. my silencers look like the one in your post though which says its sports. Maybe its my eyes but the look the same size?
The one on ebay has smaller silencers, which i believe is one of the differences between the sports and non sports.... plus a differing back box part no. to mine which i guess I'd expect.

Attachments

• Exhaust1.JPG
    Exhaust1.JPG
    437.8 KB · Views: 54
  • Exhaust2.JPG
    Exhaust2.JPG
    171.9 KB · Views: 49
Ahh, thanks for that...

This is mine.. my silencers look like the one in your post though which says its sports. Maybe its my eyes but the look the same size?
The one on ebay has smaller silencers, which i believe is one of the differences between the sports and non sports.... plus a differing back box part no. to mine which i guess I'd expect.

Smaller bullets = sports exhaust.

Hmmm, so being new to this I was looking though some old posts and regarding exhausts.. and it seems that an alternative solution to the sports exhaust is a mod, seemingly from PCW.

Given the 2 options, would you get the Sports Exhaust or get it modded?

Sports Exhaust
Pros: is OEM, Designed by Audi, lots of people say this is the best option. I'll still have my non sports exhaust and could re-fit if needs be.
Cons: Exhaust is 2nd hand, could have valve rattle, have to collect from breaker, also hire a van, have to get it fitted.

Modded Exhaust.
Pros: Slightly Cheaper, Keeps the standard OEM exhaust,
Cons: Once done, no turning back if its too loud, wont have a spare exhaust to go back too.

Cheers

Hmmm, so being new to this I was looking though some old posts and regarding exhausts.. and it seems that an alternative solution to the sports exhaust is a mod, seemingly from PCW.

Given the 2 options, would you get the Sports Exhaust or get it modded?

Sports Exhaust
Pros: is OEM, Designed by Audi, lots of people say this is the best option. I'll still have my non sports exhaust and could re-fit if needs be.
Cons: Exhaust is 2nd hand, could have valve rattle, have to collect from breaker, also hire a van, have to get it fitted.

Modded Exhaust.
Pros: Slightly Cheaper, Keeps the standard OEM exhaust,
Cons: Once done, no turning back if its too loud, wont have a spare exhaust to go back too.

Cheers
Sports Exhaust all the way (it's deffo the best sounding), you could just get a courier to collect the exhaust and most ebay sellers have a 30 day return policy.

Sports Exhaust all the way (it's deffo the best sounding), you could just get a courier to collect the exhaust and most ebay sellers have a 30 day return policy.
Yep... that seems to be the consensus. Bought it last night.. getting the wife to collect it in a van hire as she's on holiday :)
Cheers

Reactions: Spencer589
Oh, anyone know who long the system would be. Looking at getting a Renault Kangoo, but max length load space is 1.8m
This that might be a little shy?

Ok.. Got the Sports Exhaust today. I've just finished cleaning it and have given it a polish.
I'm Really pleased with the result

I just need to refurb the tips.
When I cleaned the inside of the tips (See 2nd photo), they started to reveal the steel. I assume that this was carbon build up that I removed
or could it have been paint? If so, I've got some VHT High temperature paint in gloss black to re-do the tips.. should I paint the inside as well.. or should they be plain stainless steel?

Many Thanks

Attachments

• 1691090520165.png
    1691090520165.png
    689.2 KB · Views: 53
  • 1691090522200.png
    1691090522200.png
    689.2 KB · Views: 54
Reactions: Spencer589 and 8YARWY
Ok.. Got the Sports Exhaust today. I've just finished cleaning it and have given it a polish.
I'm Really pleased with the result
View attachment 269591 View attachment 269592
View attachment 269593View attachment 269594

I just need to refurb the tips.
When I cleaned the inside of the tips (See 2nd photo), they started to reveal the steel. I assume that this was carbon build up that I removed
or could it have been paint? If so, I've got some VHT High temperature paint in gloss black to re-do the tips.. should I paint the inside as well.. or should they be plain stainless steel?

Many Thanks
Its come up well but If it was me I wouldn't bother spraying the insides, unless Stuart Little is tailgating you no one can see them.

Reactions: wuta3
Its come up well but If it was me I wouldn't bother spraying the insides, unless Stuart Little is tailgating you no one can see them.
Hopefully not. .. he might get sucked in!

OK... so there's no harm in them being plain steel.. I.e. I didn't scrub off some protective coating when I cleaned them.. do you think it was just carbon deposits?
ta

Last edited:

OK... so there's no harm in them being plain steel.. I.e. I didn't scrub off some protective coating when I cleaned them.. do you think it was just carbon deposits?
I ll

ta
I think you'd be right in assuming it's just carbon deposits and I don't think Audi would bother spraying any protective coating inside the exhaust. Suppose you could spray them for peace of mind but if it was me I'd leave it.

if it helps, my sport exhaust is in good nick and I keep it clean. The inside of the tips are black from the factory but the actual exhaust in the centre is not. Whatever it is coated with won't come off by scrubbing.

If it was me I would scotch pad the whole lot and blast it with paint on the inside as well. Quickest way to ruin the outside is creep from the inside.

ta

Here’s what I did on my old 8V

Oval Exhaust refurb

if it helps, my sport exhaust is in good nick and I keep it clean. The inside of the tips are black from the factory but the actual exhaust in the centre is not. Whatever it is coated with won't come off by scrubbing.

If it was me I would scotch pad the whole lot and blast it with paint on the inside as well. Quickest way to ruin the outside is creep from the inside.
Yep.. i think thats the thing to do now...

Cheers

Quick question please about the fitting. I know it just bolts on; and there are connectors to both pipes for the valve controls.
Do i need to just keep the car locked? Would it cause any issues if the exhaust is unplugged whilst unlocked / awake so to speak?
Should I disconnect the battery perhaps?

Many Thanks

Quick question please about the fitting. I know it just bolts on; and there are connectors to both pipes for the valve controls.
Do i need to just keep the car locked? Would it cause any issues if the exhaust is unplugged whilst unlocked / awake so to speak?
Should I disconnect the battery perhaps?

Many Thanks

Unlock open a door so it thinks you’ve been in then close the door and wait 15-20 mins until ECU powers down then unplug etc.

Unlock open a door so it thinks you’ve been in then close the door and wait 15-20 mins until ECU powers down then unplug etc.

OK.. will do. thanks for info

Reactions: 8YARWY

Sorry, one last question. I had seen other threads about the unplug after being in dynamic mode and then the ECU getting confused. Should I ensure I pull up in comfort mode so the valves are closed when I park up the night before or would it not matter?

Sorry, one last question. I had seen other threads about the unplug after being in dynamic mode and then the ECU getting confused. Should I ensure I pull up in comfort mode so the valves are closed when I park up the night before or would it not matter?

The ECU will reset the valves once you park up then lock the car.
You could leave the car locked but the minute you Jack it up the alarm will go off.

So just unlock it then open a door (driver passenger etc) close the door and leave it for 15-20 mins

Reactions: 8BitWheels
Morning all..
Finished painting the tips yesterday and I'm happy with the result.

20230806 081819
20230806 081830

Just a quick question please. Whilst the exhaust is off, is there anything I can do to check the valves? I heard stories about them sticking or rattling?
Is there anything worth giving a spray of WD40 for instance?
Thanks

Morning all..
Finished painting the tips yesterday and I'm happy with the result.

View attachment 269660View attachment 269662

Just a quick question please. Whilst the exhaust is off, is there anything I can do to check the valves? I heard stories about them sticking or rattling?
Is there anything worth giving a spray of WD40 for instance?
Thanks

I wouldn't recommend a soray like wd40 as good chance it would just mix with carbon deposits around the valve and turn into a glue like paste.

Maybe a graphite based lubricant?

I wouldn't recommend a soray like wd40 as good chance it would just mix with carbon deposits around the valve and turn into a glue like paste.

Hello, OK.. there are a few on amazon..

Sorry if this is a dumb question.. but where would I apply it to lubricate them. I can see the valve motors sitting on top of the exhaust.. is it as easy as removing them. Would that give me a window to the valve itself which is presumably on a pinned shaft or something?

Many Thanks

Would a silicon one be ok or PFTE perhaps..
There is only one on amazon

I dont think even removing the motor will give you much access as the valve will be sealed to prevent exhaust gasses escaping.

The only way I can think of would be going in from the tip end of the exhaust but that's pretty much unfeasible unless you use a borescope or something to see where you are actually applying it. Think that's why Audi just replaced some under warranty as they class it as non serviceable

OK.. I think I'll just have to hope they're ok.
One last question if i may please.
I've noticed that the RHS valve motor has play in the spring. In moves up and down, but not side to side.

The one on the other side is solid as a rock. I presume this should also be the same. I've seen that this can be manipulated in a vice.
Do you think it would be wise to do this or even get a new one before it gets put on?
Many Thanks

OK.. I think I'll just have to hope they're ok.
One last question if i may please.
I've noticed that the RHS valve motor has play in the spring. In moves up and down, but not side to side.
View attachment 269679

The one on the other side is solid as a rock. I presume this should also be the same. I've seen that this can be manipulated in a vice.
Do you think it would be wise to do this or even get a new one before it gets put on?
Many Thanks

Yes you can open it a little to increase tension