B&O sub farting!!! (SOLVED)

VFR800Essex

Reaction score
I have the issue a few other have had with the B&O sub making farting noises, the noise is more noticeable at low volumes, but they could also be heard at high volumes if you opened the boot and placed ya ear next to the sub.

Turns out, the rear air vent has little plastic cloth flaps covering the holes, this stops the creepy crawlies getting in or a wasp making a nest in ya boot. The noise isn't caused by the sub vent that points down and comes out under the car above the exhaust back box on the left-hand side, this vent is round and has no cloth covering.
SUB VENT

To get to THE REAR LEFT AIR VENT, you need to:
  1. Remove boot floor cover.
  2. Remove rear tailgate rubber trim over the bottom of the boot and the left-hand side up to the top of the side trim piece.
  3. Remove the rear plastic lower section of trim covering the rear boot latch, it just pulls straight up.
  4. Remove the screw in the left-hand plastic side panel.
  5. Remove the left-hand side lower lashing eye. WARNING - the plastic covering the bolt is very fragile and will probably break, like what mine did!!! There is a bolt retaining washer, made of plastic, this will probably break also!!!!! Ask me how i know!!
  6. WARNING - make sure to keep the carpeted and plastic sections TOGETHER, it looks like they come apart along the seam line, they do but are heat staked together, you won't easily get these back together if you try and remove just the plastic section on its own. Ask me again how i know this!!!! It goes back in, but the side flaps a little if you press it.
  7. Pull the wiring harness away from the two locating lugs located on the rear wheel arch, marked with yellow circles.
  8. Remove the side soft covering panel, the one with the rubber matting on, this is held by 4 plastic plugs that are easily removed with the trim removal tool, the one with the notch in the end, looks like a two pronged fork, marked with the red circles, easily available on eBay or Amazon etc.
  9. Inner cloth panel and wiring harness locators
  10. HEAT STAKES AND LOWER LASHING EYE LOCATION

The light grey material in the vent vibrates and knocks against the vent, causing the farting type noise.

Rear air vent in boot   left hand side 1

I got some packing, destroyed an old fibre filled pillow, and used this as packing around the vent, problem solved!!
20230806 141205

Make sure you press it up against the vent in all 4 locations.

I hope this helps someone to fix their farting sub issue.

Attachments

• rear air vent in boot - left hand side.jpg
    rear air vent in boot - left hand side.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 208
  • inner cloth panel and wiring harness locators.jpg
    inner cloth panel and wiring harness locators.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 58
I have the issue a few other have had with the B&O sub making farting noises, the noise is more noticeable at low volumes, but they could also be heard at high volumes if you opened the boot and placed ya ear next to the sub.

Turns out, the rear air vent has little plastic cloth flaps covering the holes, this stops the creepy crawlies getting in or a wasp making a nest in ya boot. The noise isn't caused by the sub vent that points down and comes out under the car above the exhaust back box on the left-hand side, this vent is round and has no cloth covering. View attachment 269674

To get to THE REAR LEFT AIR VENT, you need to:
  1. Remove boot floor cover.
  2. Remove rear tailgate rubber trim over the bottom of the boot and the left-hand side up to the top of the side trim piece.
  3. Remove the rear plastic lower section of trim covering the rear boot latch, it just pulls straight up.
  4. Remove the screw in the left-hand plastic side panel.
  5. Remove the left-hand side lower lashing eye. WARNING - the plastic covering the bolt is very fragile and will probably break, like what mine did!!! There is a bolt retaining washer, made of plastic, this will probably break also!!!!! Ask me how i know!!
  6. WARNING - make sure to keep the carpeted and plastic sections TOGETHER, it looks like they come apart along the seam line, they do but are heat staked together, you won't easily get these back together if you try and remove just the plastic section on its own. Ask me again how i know this!!!! It goes back in, but the side flaps a little if you press it.
  7. Pull the wiring harness away from the two locating lugs located on the rear wheel arch, marked with yellow circles.
  8. Remove the side soft covering panel, the one with the rubber matting on, this is held by 4 plastic plugs that are easily removed with the trim removal tool, the one with the notch in the end, looks like a two pronged fork, marked with the red circles, easily available on eBay or Amazon etc.
  9. View attachment 269672
  10. View attachment 269670

The light grey material in the vent vibrates and knocks against the vent, causing the farting type noise.

View attachment 269673

I got some packing, destroyed an old fibre filled pillow, and used this as packing around the vent, problem solved!!
View attachment 269669
Make sure you press it up against the vent in all 4 locations.

I hope this helps someone to fix their farting sub issue.
That vent is there to allow the air out of the boot space when closing the boot/tailgate. I can see how the sub would vibrate these as they’re quite delicate.