Mat Watson Audi RS cold starts compared

8YARWY

Electric Avenue
Reaction score

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Iby_d and kayemill
Strange how he says "nice" after the RS3 starts up. Yet in some of his other carwow videos with an exhaust sound check, he says the 8Y is rubbish.

Strange how he says "nice" after the RS3 starts up. Yet in some of his other carwow videos with an exhaust sound check, he says the 8Y is rubbish.

Yeah it’s like a Dyson compared to the others

Mine sounds great on a cold start up then it dies down after a minute or so , is this the the flaps closing again or? Most deffo already been covered somewhere else on here but new on here so apologies!

Mine sounds great on a cold start up then it dies down after a minute or so , is this the the flaps closing again or? Most deffo already been covered somewhere else on here but new on here so apologies!
Yeah they seem to close after a few seconds

No it's a 'cold start' that's programmed into the ECU to heat the cat up I believe. It revs higher also.

Reactions: Daggerit
No it's a 'cold start' that's programmed into the ECU to heat the cat up I believe. It revs higher also.

Exactly that. The valves stay shut during the process as well, I’m 99% sure.

I'm 99% sure they are open during the process :wink new:
I'm only judging by the fact that I can manually open them with the ASR unit and it gets noticeably louder compared to the default amount they're open/closed. It always sounds louder on cold start due to the higher revs and the funny fueling the engine does to heat up the cats.

Cat heating cycle, used to sound like a bag of nails on the Daza, Audi patched it out on DNWA and DNWC.
I did have the Bosch ECU table that shows the ignition values for the start up ‘bark’ too, I’ll see if I’ve still got the info in TunerPro.

The high idle also assists oil circulation on a cold start, some tuners actually turn the high idle down but I was advised against this as its there for a reason.

The best sounding file I flashed to my old Daza RS3 was the one from Jared (VLM spec) at idle the sound tweaks he did sounded superb, sounded like a race car lol, part of how he achieved this was to run the exhaust cams on high lift at idle, that car was the best sounding RS3 by a country mile.

Reactions: cooperp, Terminator x, Frankel and 1 other person
Cat heating cycle, used to sound like a bag of nails on the Daza, Audi patched it out on DNWA and DNWC.
I did have the Bosch ECU table that shows the ignition values for the start up ‘bark’ too, I’ll see if I’ve still got the info in TunerPro.

The high idle also assists oil circulation on a cold start, some tuners actually turn the high idle down but I was advised against this as its there for a reason.

The best sounding file I flashed to my old Daza RS3 was the one from Jared (VLM spec) at idle the sound tweaks he did sounded superb, sounded like a race car lol, part of how he achieved this was to run the exhaust cams on high lift at idle, that car was the best sounding RS3 by a country mile.

Good info there.

No detrimental effects of running high lift for low flow application on the exhaust side is there? I can' t imagine so in reality, especially with no load on it.

Good info there.

No detrimental effects of running high lift for low flow application on the exhaust side is there? I can' t imagine so in reality, especially with no load on it.

There was an argument about how running on the high lift cams at idle put more strain on the cam gear as a whole.

There was an argument about how running on the high lift cams at idle put more strain on the cam gear as a whole.

Surely not that much though? Would it be enough to really worry about?

Do you have any videos of the idle because I'm really curious how it sounds compared to normal.

Surely not that much though? Would it be enough to really worry about?

Do you have any videos of the idle because I'm really curious how it sounds compared to normal.

Sorry I don’t

Trust me though it sounded immense, you could feel the car idling

I took it off ‘eventually’

Although I flashed it a fair few times with tweaks and revisions.
51815c0b065a6fad8c8fa059a2d05b10.jpg

• Haha
My son had a Porsche Panamera sports Turismo as demo last winter as a demo and as we left our venue this evening his girlfriend started it up and my god what a noise this beast made and l believe this is the same engine as 8n the RS7/RS6 and sounded far far better than in the Audi

My son had a Porsche Panamera sports Turismo as demo last winter as a demo and as we left our venue this evening his girlfriend started it up and my god what a noise this beast made and l believe this is the same engine as 8n the RS7/RS6 and sounded far far better than in the Audi

Audi have really silenced some of their RS models with these OPFs and respective mapping.

Reactions: Terminator x and Jassyo06
Audi have really silenced some of their RS models with these OPFs and respective mapping.

Would the Porsche not be running the OPFs as well?

I have noticed that across the VAG brands Audi seems to get stuffed with exhaust sounds. The R8 vs Huracan of the same age sound much different, in the Lambo's favour.

Reactions: Terminator x

I believe VAG as a group/all manufacturers have
so many of their performance cars muted ie sound regs etc etc As to allow their higher end marques in Audi's case ie some Porsche models ...all Lambos and Bentley to sound as loud as they can .....l mean who'd buy a Lamborghini with a rev a limiter and a muted exhaust

Reactions: Mike.46
I believe VAG as a group/all manufacturers have
so many of their performance cars muted ie sound regs etc etc As to allow their higher end marques in Audi's case ie some Porsche models ...all Lambos and Bentley to sound as loud as they can .....l mean who'd buy a Lamborghini with a rev a limiter and a muted exhaust

Bradford for weddings etc……..

I'm only judging by the fact that I can manually open them with the ASR unit and it gets noticeably louder compared to the default amount they're open/closed. It always sounds louder on cold start due to the higher revs and the funny fueling the engine does to heat up the cats.
Afaik only the left side is open on a normal startup Vs AVC opens both sides.

TX .

Reactions: Daggerit and 8YARWY
Yeah they seem to close after a few seconds

Exactly that. The valves stay shut during the process as well, I’m 99% sure.

I'm 99% sure they are open during the process

I'm only judging by the fact that I can manually open them with the ASR unit

Afaik only the left side is open on a normal startup Vs AVC opens both sides.

They are closed but you can open them by putting it in such a mode that does so.

Why don't you guys just get a Matt Watson "Stick of Truth" and shove it up the exhaust as someone starts the car?? :tonguewink:

Why don't you guys just get a Matt Watson "Stick of Truth" and shove it up the exhaust as someone starts the car?? :tonguewink:

Lol you’d think wouldn’t you.

Anywho………

Here’s a screen shot of flaps open (individual mode) ASR disabled with measuring values
0742a4adb71cbbf8b37918d92eb59795.jpg

Here’s a video of cold start flaps are more or less closed.
You can see when it comes off cold start idle I cycle the RS button into individual / performance modes then back into auto the % change to reflect the flaps movement.

Reactions: RS03???, janjan and Daggerit
Because I own one and can hear the audible difference outside when you start it up and change modes lol as heard in one of my early videos when the car was new here:

Because I own one and can hear the audible difference outside when you start it up and change modes lol as heard in one of my early videos when the car was new here:

That’s where my line of thinking came from too, because you can command them open on cold start, so default they must be shut.

The VCDS readout was extremely informative too, I didn’t realise that was something that could be monitored.

Yes but sometimes only one opens/closes They don't always work together. Difficult to tell if one or both are open by listening.

Like I say "stick of truth" :playful:

Reactions: 8YARWY and Jassyo06
Yes but sometimes only one opens/closes They don't always work together. Difficult to tell if one or both are open by listening.

Like I say "stick of truth" :playful:

Posted this before but this is a good video showing what actually happens as an RS3 is being driven, yes it’s not in English but there’s Visual representation of flap movement to watch on the dashboard.

Another reason to get a valve controller and have no issues in the ECU.

Reactions: Daggerit and flybynite
here’s Visual representation of flap movement to watch on the dashboard.
With all that buggering about with the valves opening and closing no wonder they break the springs and wear the bottom bearing out, best advert for a proper re-map that just leaves them open in the loud modes (or a valve controller as you say above)

Reactions: 8YARWY
With all that buggering about with the valves opening and closing no wonder they break the springs and wear the bottom bearing out, best advert for a proper re-map that just leaves them open in the loud modes (or a valve controller as you say above)

I did on my 8V lol

3350821dc9728d6f88bd6afd64621061.jpg

Reactions: flybynite
Was that tuner-pro using the DS1?

Yes it was, I was experimenting with the tables for having the flaps permanently open, those tables control flaps in every mode.

Trouble was that once open you couldn’t close them lol.

If they'd put the RS3 in S1 or an RS mode if would have sounded much better.

Mine sounds like a proper loud grumbly beast for the first 10 seconds until the WGs shut.

I also get a constant woosh from the induction during this time too.

I should know better at my age.

Reactions: RS03???, doncarlyon, Kevmoz and 2 others