Brake servicing

demus

Fire in the hole..
Reaction score
Can anyone advise if I need vcds or similar to service the front brakes on my A6?
With the electronic parking brake I guess without it I’m stuffed for doing the rears..
Thanks

Not for the fronts I don't believe.

For the rears you can use OBDeleven as well as VCDS and other tools

Reactions: demus
Nice one, just I read somewhere about having to put the brakes into service mode, and it kind of read as if it traps the fluid on the calipers when to parking brake is on, and putting it into service mode would allow you to retract the pistons a little.
They really just need cleaning and lubricating .

I’m now waying up which to get, the OBD eleven looks good. Is the vcds Bluetooth nowadays? I had that around 7 years ago when I had my A4 B6?

Maybe not for the brakes, but if you need to use OBDeleven then I am in Norwich, Norfolk and have one.

Maybe not for the brakes, but if you need to use OBDeleven then I am in Norwich, Norfolk and have one.
Thanks for that, that’s appreciated, I’m only around 25 miles south of Norwich.
One other thing I’d like to do is enable traffic sign recognition so might be able to kill two birds with one stone..

Unfortunately on the C8 enabling Traffic Sign recognition is not a simple task like it used to be and depending on whether your car has MIB-2 (USB-A sockets in front armrest) or MIB-3 (USB-c Sockets) it gets even more complicated. This post https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/traffic-sign-recognition-parameterisation.411040/ is a good starting point to understanding the challenges. It is easier to achieve with MIB-2 but with MIB-3 Audi locked a lot of stuff down and made it very challenging to make any useful changes.

Unfortunately on the C8 enabling Traffic Sign recognition is not a simple task like it used to be and depending on whether your car has MIB-2 (USB-A sockets in front armrest) or MIB-3 (USB-c Sockets) it gets even more complicated. This post https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/traffic-sign-recognition-parameterisation.411040/ is a good starting point to understanding the challenges. It is easier to achieve with MIB-2 but with MIB-3 Audi locked a lot of stuff down and made it very challenging to make any useful changes.
Pretty sure I’m on MIB-2 with the sockets in the front armrest, 2019. I did message Kufatec yesterday regarding the traffic signs, if I get a reply I’ll post it up here..

Don't know the C8 platform, but on the B9's it isn't just a case of coding for speed sign recognition. Still probably lots of other things you can do though.

Pretty sure I’m on MIB-2 with the sockets in the front armrest, 2019. I did message Kufatec yesterday regarding the traffic signs, if I get a reply I’ll post it up here..
If it is 2019 then it is MIB-2 with USB-A sockets and an SD-Card reader int he armrest. The Kufatec dongle for TSR will work with your car, I used it on my 2018 C8 Avant . If you don't have the auto high beam option their dongle for that also works fine.

If it is 2019 then it is MIB-2 with USB-A sockets and an SD-Card reader int he armrest. The Kufatec dongle for TSR will work with your car, I used it on my 2018 C8 Avant . If you don't have the auto high beam option their dongle for that also works fine.
Nice one, yeh I have auto high beam with the matrix headlights, part of the tech pack I believe, the lights and virtual cockpit anyway.
They say as the Kufatec dongle configures the various modules the car throws up random errors- at which point poo will most probably come out I’ll hopefully get one ordered soon, why Audi can’t just enable it if it’s all in there anyway

Last edited:
Is it matrix, or just LED headlights? My A5 is a 2019 with Technology Pack and is LED but not Matrix. So they look like Matrix, just don't have the trickery.

Is it matrix, or just LED headlights? My A5 is a 2019 with Technology Pack and is LED but not Matrix. So they look like Matrix, just don't have the trickery.
A5 not necessarily the same as A6. For the A6 Sport versions got LED headlights and S-Line and BE versions got Matrix. The short lived Vorsprung versions got Matrix HD. Don't think LED headlights were ever part of the technology pack

I’d say so they do all sorts of funky things at night, they kind of keep on full and single out the car in front and on coming traffic, dims down bright signs too, they’re not the full on HD ones though..

A5 not necessarily the same as A6. For the A6 Sport versions got LED headlights and S-Line and BE versions got Matrix. The short lived Vorsprung versions got Matrix HD. Don't think LED headlights were ever part of the technology pack
Ah maybe not, it is an s line. Apparently a shortage of chips from the covid malarkey made matrix headlights not an option for a while..

Good that the A6 got matrix, tech pack on the A5 A-line didn't include matrix on the UK, just the LED part.

Good that the A6 got matrix, tech pack on the A5 A-line didn't include matrix on the UK, just the LED part.
Yeh it is, on the app it doesn’t say if they’re part of the s line trim or tech pack

Attachments

• IMG_5707.png
    IMG_5707.png
    206.5 KB · Views: 51
Its neither in the A5 as mine is S-Line and tech pack but just LED's with no Matrix :( Matrix is a separate option on the UK spec A5's.

Good that you have it which ever it came with.

Its neither in the A5 as mine is S-Line and tech pack but just LED's with no Matrix :( Matrix is a separate option on the UK spec A5's.

Good that you have it which ever it came with.
Just the normal matrix, not hd. Audi are buggers with their options, the A5’s look the nuts, they always have since they first came out, nice and wide and low with the led running lights can remember seeing the first ones coming up in the rear view mirror..

As I say, if you do decide that there are features you want enabled that requires OBDeleven then you are welcome to come any try mine. I have the full unlimited license until at least March next year.