Let's come up with ways to improve the interior of our A3

audi8y2021

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've been driving my car for a while now and absolutely love the overal experience. That said, there are a few aspects of the interior that could use some aesthetic refinement. I noticed that some of you have already suggested wrapping the piano black interior elements on another thread. So, I thought it would be helpful to create a dedicated space here to pool together ideas for enhancing the car's interior aesthetics, as well as to assist with any questions you might have.

My First Improvement:
I've installed an OEM driver-side glove box, part number 8Y1 863 084 A 4PK (for LHD vehicles). This provides a convenient space for items like sunglasses.

My Second Improvement:
I've upgraded the trunk lighting with a much brighter light (link) . Additionally, I've installed another light on the opposite side of the trunk using (link2). For this, I replaced the existing door well light with Audi ring lights. I'll be sharing pictures soon once my car returns from the shop. I've found these changes to be excellent improvements.

Third Improvement:
I've also added B&O covers above the speakers, which I purchased from this link. While they're not OEM, they have a great look and break up the monochromatic black color scheme on the door. However, I'm still on the hunt for covers that resemble the OEM ones, so if anyone knows where to find them, I'd love to hear from you.

A Question:
Has anyone had success with applying Alcantara or a similar material to the door panels? My car came with faux leather on the doors, which I find unappealing. I initially tried an Alcantara wrap from AliExpress, but it didn't adhere well. Now, I'm considering purchasing genuine Alcantara and am looking for recommendations on the type of glue that would be best suited for this application.

I appreciate your insights and look forward to your suggestions.

Thank you!

Last edited:
The driver side give box is a good one.
I'm just not impressed with the quality in the latest A3. Go backwards in the car and downwards and the quality drops off significantly. The carpets are absolute rubbish. The door cards rattle after just one year on the road.
I can say that the dashboard switches are nice. But to be honest my 2017 Skoda Superb was better built.
Anything you can do will no doubt be an improvement, but unless you want to keep the car forever you might take a hit when you come to sell it.
Sorry you be so negative but this is unfortunately how I see it.

Reactions: Dimitris1911
How does it actually compare to 8V build quality? When the 8Y first came out, I read lots of reviews telling the interior quality isn't quite as high as before, but when I sat 8Y and 8V head to head, there didn't seem to be that much difference in materials that are in straight hand or eye contact. What comes to longevity, I had my previous 8Y over two years and after fixing some rattles it got from the start it didn't feel like falling apart by time.

I was about to trade my Golf MK7.5 to one of the final 8Vs, as it's quality was so praised, but the ride quality and the powertrain of the A3 felt more robust than in Golf, and the interior with the old MMI version didn't feel special enough, so I went on with the Golf. When I first saw and drove the 8Y, I was (deceptively) impressed right away. Everything I disliked in 8Y was fixed beyond my expectations. Tire noise was one thing I had to accept before I bought one of the available demo cars. The electrical and some other quality problems soon occurred are a completely different story though. Fingers crossed this current car won't start rattling after a year of use, since I'm finally happy with it.

I've also installed the driver's side glove box. Indeed fixes the missing storage for sunglasses. I also added the stainless steel pedal caps, they lift the sporty and quality feel a bit.

Hello everyone,

I've been driving my car for a while now and absolutely love the overal experience. That said, there are a few aspects of the interior that could use some aesthetic refinement. I noticed that some of you have already suggested wrapping the piano black interior elements on another thread. So, I thought it would be helpful to create a dedicated space here to pool together ideas for enhancing the car's interior aesthetics, as well as to assist with any questions you might have.

My First Improvement:
I've installed an OEM driver-side glove box, part number 8Y1 863 084 A 4PK (for LHD vehicles). This provides a convenient space for items like sunglasses.

My Second Improvement:
I've upgraded the trunk lighting with a much brighter light (link) . Additionally, I've installed another light on the opposite side of the trunk using (link2). For this, I replaced the existing door well light with Audi ring lights. I'll be sharing pictures soon once my car returns from the shop. I've found these changes to be excellent improvements.

Third Improvement:
I've also added B&O covers above the speakers, which I purchased from this link. While they're not OEM, they have a great look and break up the monochromatic black color scheme on the door. However, I'm still on the hunt for covers that resemble the OEM ones, so if anyone knows where to find them, I'd love to hear from you.

A Question:
Has anyone had success with applying Alcantara or a similar material to the door panels? My car came with faux leather on the doors, which I find unappealing. I initially tried an Alcantara wrap from AliExpress, but it didn't adhere well. Now, I'm considering purchasing genuine Alcantara and am looking for recommendations on the type of glue that would be best suited for this application.

I appreciate your insights and look forward to your suggestions.

Thank you!
Can you tell me what you did to upgrade boot lighting please its proper useless as standard. Any pics or links would be great

A38Y section is empty
Due to the popularity and I guess manufacturing limitations they only open for orders every few weeks, keep an eye out on the instagram @idvarparts for updates, they also have some great pictures of the products. I will definitely be placing an order once my 8Y S3 eventually arrives!

Does anyone know which ambient lights support multicolour? So that they can be used as footwell lights. (and also like to get them for the door handle lights).

Due to the popularity and I guess manufacturing limitations they only open for orders every few weeks, keep an eye out on the instagram @idvarparts for updates, they also have some great pictures of the products. I will definitely be placing an order once my 8Y S3 eventually arrives!
This instagram you talk of.... is it like this tiktok thing that all the kiddies like? :friendly wink: